Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travelling from Nevada to Alaska in the Middle of Winter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Travelling from Nevada to Alaska in the Middle of Winter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
Pipsfc

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MORSNOW wrote:

Good to hear you'll be taking the TT with you, it'll get tons of use up there. Free camping all over the state, I only paid for beach spots in Seward and Homer. Safe travels!

To be honest, I'm both scared and excited. Scared because I've never traveled in the winter with such harsh conditions and a TT behind me but excited for the same situation. The mind is such a strange and wonderful thing... lol.

We bought it here in NV for the purpose of returning to AK and using it for our dip netting adventures on the deep sandy beach we go to. Plus my wife was a bit concerned with camping in the woods inside a tent with bears around. We need this camper there. I just want to make sure I do it right and safely.

Also I've never packed bearings so I have no idea what I'm doing, AKsilvereagle. Whatever advice you can provide would greatly appreciated.

* This post was edited 01/18/21 11:12am by Pipsfc *

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When it comes to the bearings, it’s not that difficult, however if you haven’t done it before and your heading on a major trip in the winter, I would take your rig to a reputable outfit and have them do it for you.
And as for driving on winter roads:
Today we were snowmobiling at the summit of the 5th highest mountain pass in British Columbia. While we were unloading, a truck and what looked like a 30+ ft 5th wheel, as well as a Class A motor home pulling a “hugely” long horse trailer.
This was 09:30 this morning and the roads were wet.
Now the farther north you go and or every valley. Region or area that your drive through on your trip will have different wet heat and road conditions, so it may not be as nice as today.
Hopefully you don’t have a specific date and a “ time allowance “ that you gave yourself for this trip, as road conditions and weather can add days to you journey “possibly” If you watch the weather, watch road conditions ( black ice ) and especially “take your time” you will be fine.
and make sure the camera is ready to “click”
Relax and have fun.
If you need any information on driving on winter roads, with your route, or with or with out a trailer, drop me a line, I’ve driving these roads up here Year round for over 45 years and have also camped during the winter in our camper when snowmobiling.
It sounds like a fabulous trip!
Soup.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Pipsfc

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SideHillSoup wrote:

When it comes to the bearings, it’s not that difficult, however if you haven’t done it before and your heading on a major trip in the winter, I would take your rig to a reputable outfit and have them do it for you.
And as for driving on winter roads:
Today we were snowmobiling at the summit of the 5th highest mountain pass in British Columbia. While we were unloading, a truck and what looked like a 30+ ft 5th wheel, as well as a Class A motor home pulling a “hugely” long horse trailer.
This was 09:30 this morning and the roads were wet.
Now the farther north you go and or every valley. Region or area that your drive through on your trip will have different wet heat and road conditions, so it may not be as nice as today.
Hopefully you don’t have a specific date and a “ time allowance “ that you gave yourself for this trip, as road conditions and weather can add days to you journey “possibly” If you watch the weather, watch road conditions ( black ice ) and especially “take your time” you will be fine.
and make sure the camera is ready to “click”
Relax and have fun.
If you need any information on driving on winter roads, with your route, or with or with out a trailer, drop me a line, I’ve driving these roads up here Year round for over 45 years and have also camped during the winter in our camper when snowmobiling.
It sounds like a fabulous trip!
Soup.

Thanks Soup, I appreciate the words of encouragement and advice. I have set hotel reservations but being a Wyndham rewards member i can cancel or change without too much of an issue. I fully anticipate possible delays, but I hope for the best and plan for the worst.

As for the bearings, I will be calling the RV joint I bought my camper at and see what they can do to help me.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SideHillSoup wrote:

unfortunatly due to Covid and boarder rules, they will have a time restriction, and they are watching it now due to people being caught saying they were traveling strait to alaska and being found on the island or in banff...

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

SideHillSoup wrote:

unfortunatly due to Covid and boarder rules, they will have a time restriction, and they are watching it now due to people being caught saying they were traveling strait to alaska and being found on the island or in banff...

Steve

Good point Steve, that’s in the rules for traveling through Canada to Alaska or back to the lower 48, there is a time limit for the passage.
However if road conditions dictate driving slower than the posted speed to ensure your driving safely, which means “ taking your time”, I would hope the RCMP and CBSA would take that into consideration.
I’m going to bet when they cross into Canada they will be given a phone number to call if “something“ happens to slow their journey through Canada, like vehicle breakdown, closed roads because of accidents, avalanche control, road conditions etc. Driving this route in the summer months is a lot different in the winter months.
If I were them I would be asking those questions ( what if?) when they get to the Canadian boarder, just incase.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/21 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stay the course and all will be fine. No detours.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Pipsfc

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geez!! I was just looking into a local guy who can repack my bearings and he charges $125 per hour. I just learned about ez lube fittings and wondering if mine has them. I'll have to check when I get home.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MORSNOW wrote:

We just had to provide the required documentation (no quarantine required) at the border and received what I called our "Scarlet Letter" that was placed on the dash for the entire transit (the reflection in the windshield was a hazard in itself), and were restricted to 5 days to cross. We did it in 3 long days crossing back into the US at 11:00pm

So what do they do if you don't make it in time?? Turn you around and send you back to see if you make better time on the return trip? LOL

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pipsfc wrote:

Geez!! I was just looking into a local guy who can repack my bearings and he charges $125 per hour. I just learned about ez lube fittings and wondering if mine has them. I'll have to check when I get home.

Be careful with EZ Lubes or bearing buddys. They're good as long as you dont' overfill and blow out the rear seal.
I'd think any trailer shop would do it, but yeah, probably cost a couple hundo for $4 worth of grease and a couple hours of your time.
Hope you send a trip report, I LOVE that drive. Did one in mid "spring" and only hit snow for maybe 500mi of the trip. Towing a trailer, but driving in snow doesn't bother me.
Chains are good, if you hit some warmer weather and ice. Otherwise, cold weather aint that slick.
Since you're taking the camper, I'd have a small generator and the propane filled. Worst case, you have warm shelter to "camp" in if something happens.
Your truck will be fine. OE block heater is good down to -40 I'd say. All the other stuff, pan heaters, battery heaters, trans pan heaters etc, we used in the Arctic, but it was daily cold starts every day. Change the oil to 5W40 synthetic, other maint up to date and hit the road.
One imprtant thing for traction, figure out your approx axle loads on the truck and don't air up the tires any more than they need to be for the weight.
Good luck!

Pipsfc

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

MORSNOW wrote:

We just had to provide the required documentation (no quarantine required) at the border and received what I called our "Scarlet Letter" that was placed on the dash for the entire transit (the reflection in the windshield was a hazard in itself), and were restricted to 5 days to cross. We did it in 3 long days crossing back into the US at 11:00pm

So what do they do if you don't make it in time?? Turn you around and send you back to see if you make better time on the return trip? LOL

I definitely laughed at this! Lol

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Travelling from Nevada to Alaska in the Middle of Winter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.