Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travelling from Nevada to Alaska in the Middle of Winter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Travelling from Nevada to Alaska in the Middle of Winter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remembered something, so I re-read all 8 pages of the post to see if anyone had mentioned it, and we didn’t.
I was downstairs in my storage room and I was moving some stuff around and I found my grille cover for my 2007 and my 2017 durimax trucks.
Diesel trucks run colder than gas engines, and the winter when the temps really drop the diesels can’t get up to “normal” running temperature.
Now where I live in south eastern BC, we get tons of snow, but hardly any sustained cold weather. We normally hover around +3c to - 10 c. The only time I have every used by grille covers is when I went to northern BC or Alberta in the winter months, where it gets bone chilling cold.

*** I highly recommend that you do some research and read up on when the grille cover is used and make sure you have one especially when you start getting into northern BC, Yukon & Alaska. ***

Pulling the trailer may bring up the engine temps a bit on the hills, however I highly doubt it will be enough to keep the engine running at its normal temp.
And don’t forget, the engine cooling system also heats the inside of the cab where your sitting.
Something else for you to read up on.
Soup.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^True story. But mostly on the downhill stretches. Down to -25F I’ve never had issue with a Dmax or Cummins making full temperature, if towing and highway speeds.
But it will help with warmup and even more so on long downhill grades.

At -20 or colder I don’t think you be able to keep the temp up coasting downhill without one.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

SideHillSoup

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The chances of these people pulling at Hwy speeds on this trip to Alaska are slight after reading all of their posts.
And Hwy speeds this time of year for this route, especially towing by “ winter driving newbie’s” are in my opinion next to zero.
They will need the grille cover

Soup.

Pipsfc

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

****! Something else to buy. Man!

I was asking about this on the silveradosierra.com forums and they were saying that if I was towing I wouldn't need it, but I feel like you guys have more experience.

Any suggestions where I can get one that doesn't involve sticking buttons to the grille?

SideHillSoup

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pipsfc wrote:

I was asking about this on the silveradosierra.com forums and they were saying that if I was towing I wouldn't need it, but I feel like you guys have more experience.

Any suggestions where I can get one that doesn't involve sticking buttons to the grille?

Go to the GMC dealer near you. The two I have, just have hard tabs that bend over to hold it is place. No “buttons”
Funny... up here in Canada where it gets cold, they come with the truck when you buy it new
I’m not sure how many of those people on the form drive in northern BC, the Yukon or Alaska, but I have done it pulling a 20ft loaded cargo trailer.... and I was happy I had the cover on as we were nice and toasty inside the cab and the truck was running at its normal operating temperature.
I will say, I did do a run in my 2007 truck, to Northern Alberta ( Cold Lake )with out a cover... and it was Cold in the cab until I stopped and wired a hunk of cardboard on the grill. No trailer on the way there but I did have one on the way home.
Remember, safety first.
Soup.

* This post was edited 01/26/21 06:40pm by SideHillSoup *

Darryl&Rita

Grande Prairie, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pipsfc wrote:

Get a piece of cardboard, sized to cover the rad. Slip it in between the rad and the grille when you notice your heater not keeping the cab warm. Keep an eye on the engine temps, and the exterior temps. Remove as needed.

***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Darryl&Rita wrote:

Get a piece of cardboard, sized to cover the rad. Slip it in between the rad and the grille when you notice your heater not keeping the cab warm. Keep an eye on the engine temps, and the exterior temps. Remove as needed.

This works great! You can even spray paint it black if you want to hide it.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Pipsfc

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Darryl&Rita wrote:

Pipsfc wrote:

That's some janky stuff but I like it! I will probably do that.

I'm going to repack my bearings today as well. Wish me luck. I'm nervous!

Pipsfc

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guys I took the hub off and started to clean the racers and noticed the rough area just passed the inner bearing. Is this normal? It doesn't seem to be where the bearings sit.

[image]

Pipsfc

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never mind... local RV service center confirmed this is normal for a hub.

However, I got two wheels done but had to finish the repack of the outer bearing of the second wheel the old school method because my grease gun doesn't want to work properly it seems. Maybe it's me since this is the first time I've used one.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Travelling from Nevada to Alaska in the Middle of Winter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.