cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Garmin GPS

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am considering upgrading my Garmin Zumo GPS that's just suited for auto travel to a Garmin 770 with the RV extra's...need to know if this the one I should get, or is there something better on the market?
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo
15 REPLIES 15

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a Garmin RV 770, and while it's handy, I don't trust it 100%. Sometimes it decides to just randomly change the route. It will also revise a route I prepared on my computer then loaded in the GPS, so that's something else to watch for.
As already recommended, always have a paper map / phone with mapping and a general idea of how to get where you are going.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:

Those things are a good tool, but only YOU are smart enough to stay out of trouble on the highways and byways!

That's the problem with a lot of people.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
after making a trip from Billings, MT to Moab, UT, following a GPS unit (not Garmin), and having the less-than-smart GPS tell me to turn right down in WY where there wasn't a road (I could see the right turn from the top of the hill, a mile or so on down the road)...
I became convinced the fool thing was great for finding rummage/garage/estate sales in town, but I would never rely on it for long distance travel directions again.
We now have Garmins with lifetime map updates. They don't show the latest reconstruction on our way to town ("traffic circle"). Yes, they both have been updated. Maybe next year.
The last time I went to Great Falls, it didn't show the highway change up there, either. It showed me driving through a wheat field! That was two years ago. Maybe when I get the updates next spring...
I will never allow it to tell me to go over Beartooth Pass this time of year. It is closed until late Spring/early Summer 2021!
Don't let Garmin tell you to use the railroad underpass in downtown
Billings. The clearance is only 8' 6"!
Those things are a good tool, but only YOU are smart enough to stay out of trouble on the highways and byways!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I have the smaller screen RV660. If you use the RV mode you can set the rig height and it will alert you to low bridges.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
After using one for over 20 years (see user name) in Search and Rescue, a GPS is just another "tool" in your navigation toolbox. You need to have a GENERIC understanding of WHERE you're going, and the GENERIC route to get there. If it doesn't make sense to take a certain road, then STOP and figure out why you're being directed down that route. One thing to keep in mind, Garmin and the other mapping software companies DO NOT UPDATE their maps. I've got a locked gate a block from my house that's been there 5+ years. I've tried calling, e-mail, writing, no luck in changing the software.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pretty much - at least for Western U.S. travel - what you can rely on is:

1) A Garmin unit kept CURRENT at all times with respect to it's operating system and maps,
AND
2) a Garmin unit kept set to FASTEST navigating mode,
PLUS
3) these super comprehensive map atlases for each Western U.S. state -> https://www.benchmarkmaps.com/atlas
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
People have driven into rivers, off cliffs on dead end end roads because XYZ told them too. I believe most if not all of those devices tell you not to rely 100% on them.

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
A GPSr should be uses for amusement purposes only and never,never trust it 100%. The Garmin is the bet unit going

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
corvettekent wrote:
I have the Garmin 770RV. It has some nice features but I don't trust it to take me on the best route so I also use my I phone with Waze.

none of us should implicitly trust any GPS. always review the route before departure.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
Donโ€™t waste your money, I have one and it sometimes sends me down winding roads with tree branches overhanging the roadway at window level or even down a dead end road. Garmen, never again.

do you have it set for FASTEST route or SHORTEST route? FASTEST is best in order to avoid your experience.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Garmin 770RV. It has some nice features but I don't trust it to take me on the best route so I also use my I phone with Waze.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
Donโ€™t waste your money, I have one and it sometimes sends me down winding roads with tree branches overhanging the roadway at window level or even down a dead end road. Garmen, never again.

I've had the opposite experience -- Google Maps has tried to send me under some low bridges, but the Garmin has warned me away. I usually use both -- Google Maps traffic is hard to beat, but I prefer the Garmin's UI and display... and the RV specific route warnings. It's also comforting to know that the map will always load and can plot a route, whether or not I have cell service. I don't even carry a paper map any more.

I don't expect any GPS to warn me about low hanging branches, just permanent restrictions like bridge clearance, weight limits, etc.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:

Not even close to my experience
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Your phone and tablet give you all you need.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad