cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

generator maintenance?

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Other than maintenance as listed in the owner's manual, is there anything that's helpful to keep a generator working well?

This is an Onan 4000 W generator with 220 hours on it, in a 2014 motorhome. So obviously it's not been used a lot. The person I bought it from said he changed the oil at 215 hours. He knows nothing about the previous maintenance, except that the oil was changed at about 115 hours.

I'm thinking that with lack of use, there might be some varnish gunk in the carb, and a couple of cans of Seafoam in the tank would be a good idea.

Any other suggestions?
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board
13 REPLIES 13

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
I will probably use the motorhome off and on all winter. I'm up for camping any time daytime temps get up around. And Tennessee state parks give 50% off to seniors in December, January, and February. Most of them have water available year round, too.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
coolmom42 wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
If you don't trust or believe the previous owner change the oil. Then start it up and see if it runs smooth. If smooth I would leave it alone and go camping.

It's all good now, but I am the 3rd owner, with unknown treatment by the first owner. Second owner definitely changed the oil.

It starts and runs just fine now. I will probably run some Seafoam through the gas anyway, that's a good preventive of many issues, IMHO.

Never hurts, but doesnโ€™t help anything unless it needs help.
Does the generator run off the vehicle tank? Are you putting it up for the winter or still in use?
If in Use, just keep using it.
If putting away for season, run it low on fuel, add 1/4 tank or so of non ethanol gas and run through system a bit. Or fresh E10 with stabilizer.
FWIW, fuel stabilizers donโ€™t help old degraded fuel. Horse out of barn scenario.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lwiddis wrote:
Honda doesnโ€™t say that....

โ€œHonda equipment is designed for good performance and efficient operation using gasoline containing from 0 to 10% ethanol.โ€

https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/fuel-recommendations

Are you literally antagonistic with every post?
^This has to be the dumbest advice on small engine layup Iโ€™ve ever heard. Maybe stop misleading those that are sincerely looking for answers to real questions.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
If it's starting easily and able to run the roof AC and microwave oven at the same time, it's performing well. Just start it once per month, let it warm up and then power on the AC and microwave and let it run for an hour. Shut off AC and microwave and let it cool down for a while before shutting generator off.
Change oil per Onan recommendations.

It's important to keep the electrolyte levels covering the plates of the house batteries and check that they are being fully charged to 13.6 volts by the converter charger when connected to "shore power" or by truck alternator. If kept charged, not run down too far, batteries can last 4 years plus and start the RV generator reliably.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
If you don't trust or believe the previous owner change the oil. Then start it up and see if it runs smooth. If smooth I would leave it alone and go camping.

It's all good now, but I am the 3rd owner, with unknown treatment by the first owner. Second owner definitely changed the oil.

It starts and runs just fine now. I will probably run some Seafoam through the gas anyway, that's a good preventive of many issues, IMHO.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I remove the fuel line going to the main tank and insert it into a gallon can of gas mixed with a 1/2 bottle of seafoam or Berryman's B-12 when ever the genset starts to run a little rough the higher concentration of additive cleans the carburetor well. It also shows how many gals per hr I use under load. Once every 4 years or so I also put some Seafoam in the crank case before an oil change. I was surprised at the carbon buildup that I found in the bottom of the drain pan. My genset is 23 years old with 350 hrs on it, so I have to look for ways to use it.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I've done the oil change about 3 times in 20 years, we only have 45 hours on it..

I run it twice a year..

YEAH I KNOW -- my bad. ๐Ÿ™‚

but it still runs.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Honda doesnโ€™t say that....

โ€œHonda equipment is designed for good performance and efficient operation using gasoline containing from 0 to 10% ethanol.โ€

https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/fuel-recommendations
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look for that non eth gasoline at stations near a marina, its popular for boaters.
Stabilize the fuel tank in the rv and run the genny to get that treated gasoline thru the genny's carb. I use a couple bottles of Sea Foam or StarTron. I have never had a bad gasoline issue using either one of them.

I exercise my generator for 30 mins every month or sooner bc I use my rv for day trips. Its probably best to have the rv on somewhat level ground when you run it.
Once a year around 150 hrs I change the oil with a syn oil. There is also a fuel filter that needs to be replaced every 450-500 hrs. along with the spark plug. A dirty filter will cause hard starting.

A good habit to get into , when you turn off a generator its best to shut off any heavy load on it. That will extend the life of the voltage regulator.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
My Honda dealer said that ethanol-free gasoline (if you can find it) produces less varnish. I run mine once a month during the off-season to help clear the carb and to keep the RV battery at full charge.

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
I'd change the oil, spark plug and air filter. It it runs smooth I wouldn't worry about varnish. Add fuel treatment if concerned.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Do you trust what the immediate past owner โ€œsaid?โ€ If not, change the oil.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad