cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reservations

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
Our grand kids live in Texas and we live in Pa.Last year,due to the virus,we didn't make the trip to see them.This year,I have made reservations at Canyon Lake which is an COE campground north of San Antonio close to where they live. My question is about traveling there and back. We usually didn't make reservations for overnight stops. But I'm wondering what has been your experience traveling during these times? Should I make reservations for each night or not? We prefer state and federal parks. Have any of you not been able to get a spot with first come,first served?The travel would be during week days,not on weekends. Thanks.
36 REPLIES 36

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
2 Retired has it right.

All you knew in the past about reservations or no reservations has changed now due to COVID.

We are nearing the end of a 6-week trip, and we have found that almost everyplace is disallowing walk-up, no-reservation camping. We've been all up and down the east coast and all throughout Florida. If you don't have reservations, you generally can't camp. Not because of demand, but because they don't want you to spontaneously show up. The Florida state parks were the worst. Generally, in the past, you could get a walk-up site the day-of, but not now. Lots of sites are going unoccupied because of this. One host told us that if the state finds that the park is collecting revenue on a non-reservable site (in other words, if they sell it to you as a walk-in) they will be "in trouble."

This is what we've found concerning state parks. Other types of campgrounds may have different policies. Point is - COVID has changed everything.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Seems the moral high counsel has spoken. To all on this forum: No one should ever cancel a reservation regardless of circumstances. We are to act like the post office - rain, sleet, snow, we will persevere to our destination while waving off any reasonable logic otherwise. Cancellation policies be damned. Your commitment to your site is your bond and be sealed in blood for the sake of those less fortunate who may not have planned accordingly. So sayeth the moral high counsel. By decree of those self proclaimed moral superiors on RV.NET forum, no one henceforth shall make a reservation without the faithful commitment of said reservation regardless of circumstances included but not limited to; health, weather, timing or death, lest ye be sentenced to written stoning on the aforementioned forum by those who hold the position of a self appointed higher moral ground. And further to hence be known as selfish and of despicable low moral character.

Lordy lord. People simply disagreed with you. If you took it as an attack, maybe that's Jiminy Cricket on your shoulder.

We're allowed to disagree with each other here as long as the disagreements don't become attacks.

I've seen you dish it out here before, so I assumed you could take it too. Perhaps not.

Keep doing what you do and just know that some folks don't agree with you. Simple as that.

I can take it. It was a diatribe in sarcasm and I thought it was pretty funny.

Is this post for real???? Somebody drank to much of Jim Jones kool-aid!!!!!!:):):)

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I took it as sarcasm and got quite the laugh, went well with morning coffee.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
dedmiston wrote:
way2roll wrote:
I thought it was pretty funny.

Good for you.

It is good for me and thank you for saying so.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

dedmiston
way2roll wrote:
I thought it was pretty funny.

Good for you.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
dedmiston wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Seems the moral high counsel has spoken. To all on this forum: No one should ever cancel a reservation regardless of circumstances. We are to act like the post office - rain, sleet, snow, we will persevere to our destination while waving off any reasonable logic otherwise. Cancellation policies be damned. Your commitment to your site is your bond and be sealed in blood for the sake of those less fortunate who may not have planned accordingly. So sayeth the moral high counsel. By decree of those self proclaimed moral superiors on RV.NET forum, no one henceforth shall make a reservation without the faithful commitment of said reservation regardless of circumstances included but not limited to; health, weather, timing or death, lest ye be sentenced to written stoning on the aforementioned forum by those who hold the position of a self appointed higher moral ground. And further to hence be known as selfish and of despicable low moral character.

Lordy lord. People simply disagreed with you. If you took it as an attack, maybe that's Jiminy Cricket on your shoulder.

We're allowed to disagree with each other here as long as the disagreements don't become attacks.

I've seen you dish it out here before, so I assumed you could take it too. Perhaps not.

Keep doing what you do and just know that some folks don't agree with you. Simple as that.

I can take it. It was a diatribe in sarcasm and I thought it was pretty funny.

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
In response to making multiple-reservations for the same night's stay - that's the problem. It's hard enough to find a spot when traveling now, with so many newbies finding RV travel preferable to staying in hotels. Campgrounds are overcrowded, and many have a 'reservation only' policy. Empty sites are a challenge to find. When one RVer makes several different reservations for the same night, other's are denied the opportunity. Decide ahead how far you want to go, how many hours you want to drive, and stay near there! Planning works wonders! Of course situations may change (bad weather, heavy traffic, etc) and cancelling a planned reservation in that instance is necessary. We would never make several reservations for the same night at different campgrounds. We feel it is selfish.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
strongly agree with those who make reservations, particularly in light of today's reality. So many CGs are using "reservation only" policies. Most we have contacted have significantly reduced cancellation fees, or eliminated them alltogether as well. Safe travels.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

dedmiston
way2roll wrote:

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bird Freak wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Been my experience recently with all the new Covid campers that we need reservations. Better to have a reservation and not need it, than need one and not have it. And we have made lots of reservations and had to cancel with a minimum fee - if any - if outside of 24 hrs so it's not a huge deal. Things happen. But during the holidays with all these new campers, no way I would risk not having a reservation especially if I was pretty solid on my route and timing.

Of course you need to have no regard for others that really needed that site.

Troll.

I agree with Lynnmor. I guess that makes me a troll too.
I guess I am a troll too!

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Been my experience recently with all the new Covid campers that we need reservations. Better to have a reservation and not need it, than need one and not have it. And we have made lots of reservations and had to cancel with a minimum fee - if any - if outside of 24 hrs so it's not a huge deal. Things happen. But during the holidays with all these new campers, no way I would risk not having a reservation especially if I was pretty solid on my route and timing.

Of course you need to have no regard for others that really needed that site.

Troll.

I agree with Lynnmor. I guess that makes me a troll too.
I guess I am a troll too!
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lynnmor wrote:
way2roll wrote:

Maybe. Frankly I don't follow the logic. If I make a reservation with the intent on staying somewhere to ensure I have a spot , and don't make it there for timing, weather any myriad of reasons, that makes me inconsiderate of someone else because I abide by the park's cancellation policy?

You've never cancelled a reservation?

You denied others the use of that spot, after all that is the whole point of your making a reservation. There are many in recent years that think only of themselves and reserve just in case they might need it causing empty sites.

No, I never canceled a reservation.

Sorry, I am fresh out of troll food. This post is beyond ridiculous and obviously a straw grab just to say something. Go bother someone else.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:

Maybe. Frankly I don't follow the logic. If I make a reservation with the intent on staying somewhere to ensure I have a spot , and don't make it there for timing, weather any myriad of reasons, that makes me inconsiderate of someone else because I abide by the park's cancellation policy?

You've never cancelled a reservation?

You denied others the use of that spot, after all that is the whole point of your making a reservation. There are many in recent years that think only of themselves and reserve just in case they might need it causing empty sites.

No, I never canceled a reservation.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I am just a free spirit. On a five day trip especially in a class A,just find a wide spot in the road!
That's is why you spent 6 figures on a big ugly box correct?