cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Burner Tube Air Adjustments on new Dometic Appliances?

Scott_M
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up our new Odyssey 24B from the dealer last weekend. Took it out the one of our favorite campgrounds on the way home. Did a pretty through walkthrough before we took delivery. Made sure water heater and refrigerator started in gas and electric, etc. Got to the CG and started water heater. After a few minutes it stated popping, flame backing up down the burner tube and large yellow flame. To much air, ok throttle down the adjustment sleeve to reduce air in the mixture. But wait, no adjustment sleeve. Checked the ownerโ€™s manual, nothing regarding any air mix control for the flame. Model is Dometic WH-6GEA. Already had some soot build up above the vent on the door. Are the any adjustments to control the air gas mixture I am missing? Just noticed also no air adjustments on the refrigerator burner tube as well.
2021 Entegra Odyssey 24B Class C on Ford E-450 Chassis with 7.3L V8
15 REPLIES 15

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
stevenal wrote:
In my experience RV manufacturers install regulators without bothering to set them. A manometer is a good tool to own.

They come preset. I have NEVER had to adjust a replacement LP regulator in 41 years as an RV Tech. My rule of thumb is, IF you have to adjust more than 1 inch of WC, then replace the regulator. It is not up to the job. Doug

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
In my experience RV manufacturers install regulators without bothering to set them. A manometer is a good tool to own.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Are the refer and water heater in a slide room? Doug

Scott_M
Explorer
Explorer
Refrigerator has the same problem as the water heater. Flame backs up into burner tube. I have video of both, but don't think I can post video.

The range burners appear normal and don't seem to fluctuate when water heater or refrigerator burners start. Also had a problem with the furnace at delivery, bad internal vibration. Turned out to be a problem with the metal case. The propane supply associated with the furnace appeared to work fine.

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Low gas pressure, something is wrong with your propane regulator or your tanks need filled.

Scott_M
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I was having the same problem with the refrigerator. Pilot light fires up right away, but in a few minutes starts to sputter and flame gets sucked back into the burner tube, just like the water heater.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Scott M wrote:
Just wondering, if both the refrigerator and water heater are having the same issues, could it be low pressure on the main propane regulator? I may order an manometer to check propane flow?

What issue with the refer? You did not state problem with the refer.
Light the Range Burners, then Fire up the Water Heater on LP. Fire up the Furnace. Watch the Range burners with this LP load. The burner flames on the range should not fluctuate or pulsate or diminish. If they do, your LP regulator is BAD. Brand New, It needs replaced not adjusted. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
wolfe10 wrote:
Interesting. Kind of eliminates resetting mixture for altitude.

Said another way the proper "air shutter" setting/air/fuel mixture at our house (elevation 27') is WAY OFF from where we spend many summers in Angel Fire NM at 8,700'.

LP pressure will usually compensate for Hi altitude use. Gasoline appliances/vehicles are a different matter. Doug

Scott_M
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering, if both the refrigerator and water heater are having the same issues, could it be low pressure on the main propane regulator? I may order an manometer to check propane flow?

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. Kind of eliminates resetting mixture for altitude.

Said another way the proper "air shutter" setting/air/fuel mixture at our house (elevation 27') is WAY OFF from where we spend many summers in Angel Fire NM at 8,700'.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
IN the photo the air/ratio adjustment is lower left the WINDOW in the pipe

there should be (though I do not see it) either a slider or a twist around collar on that wide open window that reduces the air flow.

As I said I did NOT see it in the photo.

You did not see it because it is NOT supposed to have one. Doug

As stated:
Along with that change...burner/orifice assembly now no longer has 'air shutter'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
wa8yxm wrote:

there should be (though I do not see it) either a slider or a twist around collar on that wide open window that reduces the air flow.

You did not see it because it is NOT supposed to have one. Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
YEP...Brand NEW Version (Standard 6 gal combo and '9 gal' combo XT model)

Dometic moved the combustion/exhaust 'U' tube to center area (stacked one above other) so that they could install electric element in front (vs backside like previous models)
Now access to all components is available via outside compartment

Along with that change...burner/orifice assembly now no longer has 'air shutter'

Yellow/lazy flame....dirty orifice/burner tube
Spiders LOVE propane and will build a web quick as they can.
Web WILL disrupt the narrow air/fuel ratio and cause yellow flame (gas flow MUST be at spec in order to 'pull' sufficient air in via venturi)

Air Pressure will not disturb spider webs....
Clean using small bottle brush for burner tube
Soak orifice in alcohol then blow it dry...just use your mouth to blow NOT high pressure air or poke anything thru it---damage the metered hole and you will need a new orifice

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31