cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's a good battery level monitor?

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's a good monitor that I can install in my Casita to see the battery level throughout the day?
Ideally a monitor that draws minimal power since we boondock frequently.

When we're camping in an RV park with hookups, I'd like to see once in a while how much voltage the converter is sending to the battery.

While boondocking, we hook up our portable solar panel and I can see the battery level by going outside to look at the solar panel controller, but I'd like to have a monitor inside the Casita.

Thanks!
40 REPLIES 40

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Trimteric 2030rv. I have Trojan flooded batts and my first set, 14 years still going strong due to watching the % remaining.

Happy Trails
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:

Click For Full-Size Image.

Maybe something like this
ALL INFO IN ONE place on one screen

i have had this one for a couple of years. bought off ebay, works great

KMLsquared
Explorer
Explorer
I use a $30 dollar Bluetooth unit from eBay. BM2 is the model. It has no display and must be viewed on a phone. The best part is I can check my battery voltage without getting out of bed. It stores up to 30 days of data that gets downloaded to the phone when within range. provides really nice graphs as well.

BM 2

I cant get the clicky to look right.
2002 Doge RAM LB QC 4x4 HO 6spd
2003 Rampage 33TB
2007 CRF80F
2006 TTR50E
2004 CRF70
2002 TTR125L
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja Bug

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
โ€œ Derivative assumption, is like referring to an employee's time clock ticket to determine production rather than check the loading dock.โ€

Ha,ha, truly a solid candidate for quote of the year Sir!!

3 tons

I like that quote also. lol
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œ Derivative assumption, is like referring to an employee's time clock ticket to determine production rather than check the loading dock.โ€

Ha,ha, truly a solid candidate for quote of the year Sir!!

3 tons

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Once the battery electrolyte achieves maximum density the batteries are fully charged. Analysis by dirivities is pure bull pucky. Analysis of sealed batteries is verified only by hyper-exaggeration of charge parameters. There is a difference between "apparent full charged" and "verified full charged" The verified mode is needed to accurately zero amp hour transactions. Unless of course battery capacity and life are of no concern.

Verification (zeroing) is not appropriate for every cycle but should be performed every few weeks.

Derivative assumption, is like referring to an employee's time clock ticket to determine production rather than check the loading dock.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
My basic voltmeter resets to 100% every time. Never fails.

MrWizard
"Without plug ins, we also generally don't sit at float for hours upon hours to get your monitor back to 100%."

Don't need to be on float for hours & hours
Batteries don't really need floating in an RV that's in use, floating is too keep an emergency battery service from self discharge
Once batteries reach float, they are full
It's not the monitor that needs to come to 100%
In many instances, The monitor will reach 100% before the batteries are full, watching the charge rate is what is necessary with lead acid batteries,
Since lithium batteries have very little compensation needs, just count AmpHrs in and out, I think the one I using would work quite well,
If l had the $$ for lifepo4 I would get whatever monitor I thought was best for the job, be it Victron or something else
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
The OP was asking about a โ€œGood Monitorโ€....

Per FWC:

โ€œIt is not just theory. For many of us who don't plug in, you can get several partial charge cycles in a row (several days of non optimal solar for example) and as a result your SOC can be significantly off. Without plug ins, we also generally don't sit at float for hours upon hours to get your monitor back to 100%.

Yes you can make it work without these conveniences, but you have to remember when the last time you were on float for multiple hours, or try and check the battery voltage when you know things are at rest.

My point was that the good battery monitors deal with this, and you can be fairly sure when you glance at the display that the number is pretty close to reality. Cheaper monitors are a compromise.

I use lithium batteries, so the voltage doesn't tell me much about the SOC. However I have a good battery monitor that is correctly programmed for my batteries, and I can trust it. โ€œ

I can resoundingly second FWCโ€™s off the grid experience, and the Victron 712 is also LiFePo4 compatible...Itโ€™s a matter of getting what you pay for...

3 tons

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
jornvango wrote:
What's a good monitor that I can install in my Casita to see the battery level throughout the day?

Victron BMV-712 like I installed
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

MrWizard
Capacity is a matter chemistry and chemical reaction increases with temperature,
And I do my best to not go below 70% SOC,
This morning I was at 83% capacity,
Colder weather will mean more heater runtime and lower SOC in the mornings,
But like I said batteries are in the heated basement,
My capacity does Not shift very much because of temperature,
Any drift/shift is the Perkurk? Effect (chemical reaction ) from evening and morning MW use,
Which BTW is also/more so, on your use
So if I use 80 AmpHrs over night, its really more, when I do the charging,
When the monitor says full but the charge rate is 3amps, no problem I'm in the high 90s SOC,
I can stop if I want or keep going
If the charge rate is high , 10 amps or more then I know I should keep charging until the batteries are full, goes to float or at least tapers to the right value,
Monitor saying full capacity, means the measured discharge has been returned, Does Not mean batteries at saturation level
You and I are trying to achieve the same thing
But your doing math with too many variables
While I watch for my recharge rate to reach the correct threshold

BTW this monitor has more setting that I do Not know the use of, and have left the values at default, there is probably one for recharge compensation, but the instructions weren't much help with that
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I compare my "morning voltage" (close to resting) and its SOC with the AH count, that gives me a rough capacity. Since 12.1v is about 50% of whatever the capacity is, then if I am down 200AH, capacity is about 400AH.

I do a little math using the temperature vs capacity graph from my battery specs, and see if that is a reasonable number. There will be some more for battery age/usage.

My 460AH (as rated) might be 400AH on a cold morning, down 13% from rated.

If I did it the other way , using 460 as my capacity entry, and was down 200AH, the monitor would say I was at 57%. (the morning voltage would be 12.1v though-indicating 50%.)

By the time the monitor said 50%, it would actually be (230 down from 400) 42.5%.

On the recharge from actual 42.5%, I am unclear what the Ali would say. There is the business of whether battery temp is ambient or internal as it warms up from being recharged, and what temp to use with the temp vs capacity graph.

If the capacity is still lower, then the amps will taper to zero when it has its 200AH back (with heat loss allowance correct) before the AH counter gets its 230AH back. If capacity is closer to 460 again from internal heating, amps will run longer so the Ali comes out closer?

I do 50-90s with gen/charger so never get back up that high, and also get "progressive capacity loss" from repeated 50-90s. I can keep track of that doing my own math, but I don't see how a monitor could keep track of it all with a fixed capacity set for it.

In the summer with not so much temperature swinging (except in a desert) and closer to 77F, on solar getting to full most days, the monitor would not drift as much and also you have more chances to "zero" the AH counter too by getting to full so often.

I do find it confusing trying to imagine how different monitors would handle things.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

MrWizard
I full-time my RV, I use the LP furnace, basement is heated, there is no need to change battery capacity numbers unless the batteries are degrading

Click For Full-Size Image.

Batteries fully charged
No need for me to worry about accuracy drift
I've said it here many times, I dont do 50>90 cycling of my batteries
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
I have this one, and it does everything I need. I installed it with a DPDT switch so I can switch between reading during charging and during discharging.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue