cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone ? GM 3.0 diesel

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, anyone own a new GM 1500 truck with the 3.0 Duramax? If so, thoughts on towing and non towing....? Before it’s spoken about, I already know about the timing belt on the oil pump... payload, and being a 1/2 ton... just want to know from people who own them.. not necessarily spectaculars..
Thanks
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.
29 REPLIES 29

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Well my buddy picked one up, 2020 Z71 package 4x4 diesel 3.0. I think it’s the mid LT ? model with cloth seats. Beautiful truck, has a factory lift but not the trail boss edition. Pulls a small camper with it, sure it will be fine. Quiet when it’s running, rides really nice... The dealer told him that the belt change will be extended, I don’t know what miles or years that will be. Amazing truck though, good deals right now to be found locally here. Paid in the mid 40s I believe. Oh he looked at the famous 6.2, but I believe it was the same price... could be wrong..

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
deltabravo wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
In addition I have to wonder if the oil pump belt is compatable with diesel fuel and the various bio diesel blends.

Is the belt lubricated by engine oil and fuel??

It is lubricated by the engine oil, but will be exposed to some diesel fuel as well from the regen process since GM didn't include a external 7th injector. Instead they went with the regen process by dumping diesel fuel into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke which means some % of diesel fuel will get into the crankcase.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
FishOnOne wrote:
In addition I have to wonder if the oil pump belt is compatable with diesel fuel and the various bio diesel blends.

Is the belt lubricated by engine oil and fuel??
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
I would stay far away from any small diesel. They are problematic and not worth the aggravation.
This coming from a diesel tech.

AKA... The Eco Diesel

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 3.0 Duramax solves most of the EGR problems by plumbing post DPF exhaust into the EGR and intake so now the EGR/intake should be free of soot so good job on GM. So now the only emission issue will be the DPF which still is a band aid and most soccer mom drivers will not drive it long enough to get good regens which means it will be always in a regen process and probably diluting the oil and causing internal engine wear problems. In addition I have to wonder if the oil pump belt is compatable with diesel fuel and the various bio diesel blends.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Yea emissions is always something that I personally would be concerned about. I would imagine that he would not change anything in that area since it would be under warranty. I kinda pushed him into thinking about the Ford with the ecoboost but no luck there. I have read about the oil bath belt and I know he isn’t concerned about that...as far as Nissan that’s a no go..so I guess it’s the GM 3.0:so far... I must admit, I’m curious as well since I would consider one myself in the future. Hopefully someone puts some miles on one and chimes in.. thanks a lot so far guys.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
kw/00 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I would stay far away from any small diesel. They are problematic and not worth the aggravation.

Why are they? What are you seeing being the issues with them?
Thanks

dodge guy is biased against GM. Will be interesting if he shares "facts" that can be confirmed. I admit, I am biased toward GM.

I have been pro diesel, but in heavy duty stuff I have heard from people I trust the emission systems are not as dependable as the systems for gas. And the emission systems have reduced the dependability of the engines. I can't say a little engine would have the same issues, but wouldn't gamble more than I could afford to lose.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
kw/00 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

Thanks

dodge guy is biased against GM. Will be interesting if he shares "facts" that can be confirmed. I admit, I am biased toward GM.

I own a couple of Kubota small diesels and the only issues that I had were a low pressure fuel pump and injectors failing, likely due to water in the fuel from lack of use by a previous owner. But then I haven't had much trouble with gas engines either and wouldn't mind trying a gas engine in either application.

As for the Cummins 5.0 in the Nissan, it was discontinued a year ago and there have been reports of poor dealer support even when it was still in production. Fuel economy with it was surprisingly poor and that probably killed it as much as anything.

I would say that the GM 3.0 is probably a good engine but little track record so far. With the increased tow ratings and increased availability I expect to see a lot more on the road.

Personally, right now I would go with the Ford 2.7 Ecoboost or the coming 3.5 hybrid. With fuel prices in my area either would be less expensive to operate and both engines have good track records. Actually, I would wait a year on the hybrid since I am not in a rush at this time.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
kw/00 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

Thanks

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
My experience with diesels in general from my dealership background is that the engines themselves are fine. That oil bath v belt is a bit wonky admittedly but 90 percent of the problems are from the emissions systems. The early FCA 3.0s did have some mechanical issues but they worked them out.
If someone is in that market I would recommend the 5.0 Cummins Nissan.
Puma 30RKSS

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

Thanks

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Op here.... hopefully no spell check errors, lol anyway, yes I’m not looking for one myself. A friend is pretty set on picking one up, and I’ve been researching it out to help him. He turned down both the Ford and Ram counterparts so hence GM is first now on list.... I did look at one the other day, so what’s the deal with small diesels being problematic?

womps
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
How many...spectaculars...do you want?

27 doesn’t seem too good for the extra expense.

I get about 14 mpg with my Ford.

I got over 31 mpg on a 300 mile trip. All depends on conditions, speed etc. As far as cost goes the diesel is a no cost option over the 6.2 V8 on the 2020 model and is $1,500 cheaper on a 2021 model. In Canada it’s $900 cheaper than a 6.2 V8 in the 2021 model year.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve always been easy on the gas, 4x4.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad