Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Anyone ? GM 3.0 diesel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Anyone ? GM 3.0 diesel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 03:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My experience with diesels in general from my dealership background is that the engines themselves are fine. That oil bath v belt is a bit wonky admittedly but 90 percent of the problems are from the emissions systems. The early FCA 3.0s did have some mechanical issues but they worked them out.
If someone is in that market I would recommend the 5.0 Cummins Nissan.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kw/00 wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

I would stay far away from any small diesel. They are problematic and not worth the aggravation.
This coming from a diesel tech.

Why are they? What are you seeing being the issues with them?
Thanks

dodge guy is biased against GM. Will be interesting if he shares "facts" that can be confirmed. I admit, I am biased toward GM.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

kw/00 wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

I would stay far away from any small diesel. They are problematic and not worth the aggravation.

Thanks

dodge guy is biased against GM. Will be interesting if he shares "facts" that can be confirmed. I admit, I am biased toward GM.

I own a couple of Kubota small diesels and the only issues that I had were a low pressure fuel pump and injectors failing, likely due to water in the fuel from lack of use by a previous owner. But then I haven't had much trouble with gas engines either and wouldn't mind trying a gas engine in either application.

As for the Cummins 5.0 in the Nissan, it was discontinued a year ago and there have been reports of poor dealer support even when it was still in production. Fuel economy with it was surprisingly poor and that probably killed it as much as anything.

I would say that the GM 3.0 is probably a good engine but little track record so far. With the increased tow ratings and increased availability I expect to see a lot more on the road.

Personally, right now I would go with the Ford 2.7 Ecoboost or the coming 3.5 hybrid. With fuel prices in my area either would be less expensive to operate and both engines have good track records. Actually, I would wait a year on the hybrid since I am not in a rush at this time.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

kw/00 wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

Thanks

I have been pro diesel, but in heavy duty stuff I have heard from people I trust the emission systems are not as dependable as the systems for gas. And the emission systems have reduced the dependability of the engines. I can't say a little engine would have the same issues, but wouldn't gamble more than I could afford to lose.

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/20 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea emissions is always something that I personally would be concerned about. I would imagine that he would not change anything in that area since it would be under warranty. I kinda pushed him into thinking about the Ford with the ecoboost but no luck there. I have read about the oil bath belt and I know he isn’t concerned about that...as far as Nissan that’s a no go..so I guess it’s the GM 3.0[emoticon]o far... I must admit, I’m curious as well since I would consider one myself in the future. Hopefully someone puts some miles on one and chimes in.. thanks a lot so far guys.

A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 3.0 Duramax solves most of the EGR problems by plumbing post DPF exhaust into the EGR and intake so now the EGR/intake should be free of soot so good job on GM. So now the only emission issue will be the DPF which still is a band aid and most soccer mom drivers will not drive it long enough to get good regens which means it will be always in a regen process and probably diluting the oil and causing internal engine wear problems. In addition I have to wonder if the oil pump belt is compatable with diesel fuel and the various bio diesel blends.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

AKA... The Eco Diesel

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 10:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

In addition I have to wonder if the oil pump belt is compatable with diesel fuel and the various bio diesel blends.

Is the belt lubricated by engine oil and fuel??

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

In addition I have to wonder if the oil pump belt is compatable with diesel fuel and the various bio diesel blends.

Is the belt lubricated by engine oil and fuel??

It is lubricated by the engine oil, but will be exposed to some diesel fuel as well from the regen process since GM didn't include a external 7th injector. Instead they went with the regen process by dumping diesel fuel into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke which means some % of diesel fuel will get into the crankcase.

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/20 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well my buddy picked one up, 2020 Z71 package 4x4 diesel 3.0. I think it’s the mid LT ? model with cloth seats. Beautiful truck, has a factory lift but not the trail boss edition. Pulls a small camper with it, sure it will be fine. Quiet when it’s running, rides really nice... The dealer told him that the belt change will be extended, I don’t know what miles or years that will be. Amazing truck though, good deals right now to be found locally here. Paid in the mid 40s I believe. Oh he looked at the famous 6.2, but I believe it was the same price... could be wrong..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Anyone ? GM 3.0 diesel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.