cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which Way from Napa to Quartzite?

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
I've a 35' MH and will be towing my car via tow dolly. Live in North Bay (Napa, CA) and headed to Quartzsite.

I was hoping for an alternative route, and considered Hwy 58 Bakersfield to Barstow, then on to I-40, after which I'll head South on 95...

Didn't really want to go the Grapevine route, but weather forecast shows little chance of rain (or snow) either way I go...

Help!

EDIT: I fixed your topic title to give some detail.
11 REPLIES 11

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
If you take 395 I would drop into Death Valley NP for a few days.
Although the grade in/out of DVNP will make Grapevine look like an overpass.

Problem is snow at those high elevations... Have no experience driving MH w/toad in snow, and don't want to begin here, despite the attraction of driving 395... Takes longer, which I don't mind, given the scenic route, but think 99S to Bakersfield, 58 to I-40, then 95S will do OK... weather over Tehachapi looks good, little chance of rain, no snow in the forecast...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions... really helpful...

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
highway 95 CA side or AZ side.
From Needles CA....the CA side will be less populated, with less traffic.
The AZ side will take you through Lake Havasu City and Parker, both filled with winter visitors, etc and rv parks galore...but not exceptionally congested. It's more scenic.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you take 395 I would drop into Death Valley NP for a few days.
Although the grade in/out of DVNP will make Grapevine look like an overpass.

dedmiston
This would be my route: 5, 58, 15, 40, 95, etc.

Google Maps Route

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

KMLsquared
Explorer
Explorer
We race in Las Vegas and routinely take 80 over to 95 in Nevada. No silly trailer speed limits in Nevada and better roads.
2002 Doge RAM LB QC 4x4 HO 6spd
2003 Rampage 33TB
2007 CRF80F
2006 TTR50E
2004 CRF70
2002 TTR125L
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja Bug

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Why not take I-80 across and then get on US 395 south? Much more scenic and the last time I was on it the road surface was in excellent condition for Cali.

Yeah, have considered that, too... 395 IS a very scenic route, particularly along the backbone of the Sierra... I'm going to look at that again... thanks!

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not take I-80 across and then get on US 395 south? Much more scenic and the last time I was on it the road surface was in excellent condition for Cali.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:
I drive home from CA most of the time on 58 then I-40. I like AZ95...goes near the CO river at Lake Havasu and by Parker. Never been on US95.

I can't understand why anyone would want to drive down into the greater L.A. area with motorhome if there is an alternate route.

In October, I drove down I-5 from Oregon to Santa Clarita Valley (over Grapevine, but located north of L.A.). As soon as I came to Santa Clarita I wanted to drive right out of there! But I was there to visit family and friends. I still drove up to Barstow to catch I-40 to go home.

Check the weather for Tehachapi...that would be your highest pass.

If you're driving down I-5, don't take 58 to get to 99. Instead take 7th Standard Rd just north of 58 to get over to 99. Much easier and less busy.

From I-5 take Hwy.46 east right to Bakersfield then Hwy 58 to 395. U.S. Hwy 95 is not my first choice, a narrow 2 lane road with no places to pull off the Hwy. if you have mechanical problems or need to change a tire. I took it ONCE by mistake:(

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take 58 to Barstow. Just a better drive regardless of less hills.
And go down the 99. 58 from the 5 seems to add a bunch of time.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
obiwancanoli wrote:
I've a 35' MH and will be towing my car via tow dolly. Live in North Bay (Napa, CA) and headed to Quartzsite.

I was hoping for an alternative route, and considered Hwy 58 Bakersfield to Barstow, then on to I-40, after which I'll head South on 95...

Didn't really want to go the Grapevine route, but weather forecast shows little chance of rain (or snow) either way I go...

Help!

Take I-5 or hwy 99 to Bakersfield Hwy. 58. Go east to Hwy. 395 then go south though Apple Valley to Palm Springs at I-10. Go East on 1-10 to Quartsite. Going over the Grape Vine will drop you onto I-10 and you will have to deal with congested L.A. traffic with crazy drivers. Not my 1st choice!!

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I drive home from CA most of the time on 58 then I-40. I like AZ95...goes near the CO river at Lake Havasu and by Parker. Never been on US95.

I can't understand why anyone would want to drive down into the greater L.A. area with motorhome if there is an alternate route.

In October, I drove down I-5 from Oregon to Santa Clarita Valley (over Grapevine, but located north of L.A.). As soon as I came to Santa Clarita I wanted to drive right out of there! But I was there to visit family and friends. I still drove up to Barstow to catch I-40 to go home.

Check the weather for Tehachapi...that would be your highest pass.

If you're driving down I-5, don't take 58 to get to 99. Instead take 7th Standard Rd just north of 58 to get over to 99. Much easier and less busy.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara