Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Propane tank locks for my TT
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Propane tank locks for my TT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/20 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

I would guess that the companies that sell kits to lock propane tanks have researched this and asked their legal teams about the ramification (liabilities) of selling such a product.

I would guess they don't have legal teams.

Lots of small companies get away with silly things...for a while...because as small companies, the odds don't play out for years.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/20 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

BurbMan wrote:

Not a good idea....if there was ever a fire, those tanks need to be removed from there quickly to avoid an explosion.

If I was a firefighter, you wouldn't catch me running up to a flaming trailer and fiddling with a propane time-bomb waiting vent its contents into the fire..

Tanks will vent when they get hot, then they become a flaming geyser!

The camper fire I saw burn, that was the first thing they did. The fire was about 2/3 back at the fridge and so far hadn't spread. They said if it had gotten near the front, they would have just backed everyone away and let her burn.

JJnLilly

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/20 05:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I setup my portable grill attached to a 20lb tank I secure the tank to the grill stand. If someone wants to walk off with the tank they are welcome to the grill too.

2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2014 Open Range 337RLS

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stickdog wrote:

I just take outdated tanks that fill stations refuse to Blue Rhino exchange. Good to go till thote expire.

I just did the same thing with a small 20lb BBQ tank. :-)

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Seon

Lake Camanche, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I double nut the treaded shaft using two Nylock nuts to discourage thief. But a cordless grinder will cut through a lock or the shaft.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

I would guess they don't have legal teams.

Lots of small companies get away with silly things...for a while...because as small companies, the odds don't play out for years.

Torklift is not a small company that tries silly things. That have a lot of products where liability can come in to play. Hitches. Truck Camper Tiedowns, and all sorts of vehicle stuff.

capacitor

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the OPs idea is a good one. For those of you that are afraid of your trailer blowing up, don't do it. I would chose to fight the fire with my fire extinguishers than waste the time to remove the tanks and then let the trailer burn. You would save your tanks tho. No-one has mentioned how to go about removing horizontal tanks in case of a fire. I guess the rig is toast.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

capacitor wrote:

I think the OPs idea is a good one. For those of you that are afraid of your trailer blowing up, don't do it. I would chose to fight the fire with my fire extinguishers than waste the time to remove the tanks and then let the trailer burn. You would save your tanks tho. No-one has mentioned how to go about removing horizontal tanks in case of a fire. I guess the rig is toast.

Funny fireman don't see it that way.
5th wheels all have there tanks in an enclosed compartment.
The doors to that compartment do not have locks. All other compartments on a 5'er have locks.
The doors are without locks to allow quick access to the tanks.

Horizontal tanks are permanently mounted in motorized vehicles. They are not removable. Why you wonder? Because motorized vehicles are passenger carrying vehicles and are required to meet a higher safety standard.
Factory tanks must be permanently mounted and cannot come free or get lose in an accident. An LP tank would be a very dangerous projectile. If the impact of the tank alone didn't get you the explosion would.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

capacitor

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG1LGKieTxY

Edit: I guess the forum doesn't play nice with youtube. It is a pretty scary watch.
Moderator edit: Here is your video. I agree it is a very scary watch! You did not post it properly is why it didn't show for you and not the fault of the forum.
If you wish to see what I did, just click "edit" and then the return arrow when you are done looking.
Barney

Scary truck fire!

* This post was edited 11/20/20 11:33am by an administrator/moderator *

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 02:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

BurbMan wrote:

Not a good idea....if there was ever a fire, those tanks need to be removed from there quickly to avoid an explosion. I would not want them locked to the trailer in any way shape or form.

It may even be illegal so fire fighters can remove them quickly...think if the back of the trailer is on fire, you don't want to be trying to remember where the key is...and yes, I've seen this exact scenario play out (minus the lock).

Also, there was a seasonal campground we stayed at and they caught the staff who stayed in their camper over the winter swapping out tanks from the rigs that were left there over the winter...so yes, it happens.

If the back of the trailer is on fire you had better hope it lit up while you were towing it past a manned fire station. Being in a VFD for 40 years I've seen my share of RV's go up and a fire in the rear usually amounts to fully engulfed in less than 5 minutes. Were not going to try to remove propane tanks, or enter a burning RV, unless we have some reason to believe it's occupied. Short of a travel trailer with front mounted tanks, we're not going searching for tanks in closed compartments. We're going to stand off and hose it from a distance using the onboard supply in the pumper. By the time we laid out a line to a hydrant the thing would most likely be a smoking frame.

If we wanted to remove tanks on a burning RV locked as in the video posted by the OP we would have that lock off in 10 seconds with one of these.
[image]

That said I am sure you have no shortage of Goobers who answered the alarm from their departments social club next door to the station after downing a six pack, and are out to be the hero.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Propane tank locks for my TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.