cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on towing a 5th wheel

Sarah8
Explorer
Explorer
We plan to buy a new travel trailer that is 30'2" total length and about 6300 lbs dry. We also plan on upgrading our tow vehicle since we have been towing with an SUV. However, we recently found a 5th wheel floorplan that we really like. It has made us rethink our trailer since we already are buying a truck anyway. The total length of the 5th wheel is only 32'11". Would my total length be shorter than if we were to go travel trailer? I like to be small and tow ease is very important. So, my question is how different is it towing a 5th wheel? I believe it needs a larger turn radius? How often do you have gas stations or campsites that you can't get into? Anyone own a travel trailer at one time and a 5th wheel? My ideal situation would be a very small travel trailer but I want double bunks and some storage so...:) I am just really nervous about putting the extra money in a bigger truck and 5th wheel and not liking having to worry as we travel. Thanks!
52 REPLIES 52

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
With the above post, which kind of sums up this question and possible answers, I am going to close this thread. Thank you all for your contributions.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
To the OP, the moral of the story is, generally speaking a 3/4 will handle the FW you are planning to buy without issue. But you need to do your due diligence with any truck you are looking at to ensure the numbers work. As you can see varying packages on the same brand truck, even in the same year can have impacts on the capacities. So do your homework. The point a lot of us make is that, there isn't much difference in a 3/4 to a 1T in terms of size and price - with the exception of increased payload. So you get more bang for your buck. So, for some of us, it just made sense to get the 1T. As pointed out there are exceptions. That logic may not work for you. But, if there is any chance you will want a larger FW in the future, you may find you painted yourself in a corner with your truck and have to go truck shopping again.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me you are talking the way Ford plays games with GVWR’s!
Yep, Ford will sell you a F350 SRW with a 9,900# GVWR, or a 12,400# GVWR and several in between!

Exactly.
Fords F350 srw has over 10+ different gvwr numbers depending on year models and three different rawr numbers with payloads all over the place. Even less than some F250 trucks.

If the OP decides on a F350 srw he needs to be aware of all the gvwr/rawr packages. Choosing the wrong F350 srw and it may have less payload than a F250.

Ram and GM 3500 srw vs 3/4 ton owners have reported much the same payload issues depending on year models and how the truck is configured.

Moot points regardless as the OP looking to get a 10k gvwr trailer works fine behind a HD 3/4 ton... gas or diesel truck.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
2014 wrote:
Why are you bringing up different configurations. Let’s say the OP wants a crew cab short bed any brand ,the 1 ton in that truck is the higher payload , thats my point . Its simple here , get the 1 ton in the same truck , that’s what’s being said .

Again... reread what I said. The point I made was and still is not all one ton SRW brands have more payload than some brands of 3/4 ton trucks.
Your the one stuck on just using a single truck configurations.

However for your specific truck configuration which is a '21:fleet ford clicky

F250 crew cab 2wd 159" wb 7.3 gas shows a 3780 lb payload.

F350 srw crew cab 2wd 159" wb 7.3 gas shows a 3610 payload.
Both trucks have the same 10000 gvwrs.

I'm not going back and forth with you anymore. I've made my point about not all one ton srw truck brands have more payload vs a 3/4 ton truck.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
I would like to see the numbers you claim on 3/4 ton has the same payload as the 1 ton, show me the numbers on any brand that has more payload , apples to apples, not different configurations, but the same truck .

Never said apples to apples truck configurations. I said quote.... "Never saw the need for a one ton SRW which depending on truck brand may not have any more in the bed payload than the 3/4 ton HD."

Hell anyone that knows how to read Fleet Ford specs knows some F350 srw can have the same GVWR/RAWR as the F250 and the same payloads.

But you did bring up a good point of a loaded F350 SRW 6.7 crew cab 4wd 159" wb with a 2500 lb payload vs a F250 std cab long bed 6.7 2wd 141" wb with a 3450 lb payload.

Why are you bringing up different configurations. Let’s say the OP wants a crew cab short bed any brand ,the 1 ton in that truck is the higher payload , thats my point . Its simple here , get the 1 ton in the same truck , that’s what’s being said .

This is a family , at the least a crew cab , a std. cab is not even in the conversation, so I don’t get your point at all promoting a 3/4 ton .

You are the one reading the fleet ford specs, show the numbers . Same truck , 250,350 show me where the 2021 Ford Superduty SRW Crew Cab Lariat 250 has the same payload as the 350.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might be able to get an f250 that will comfortably handle your trailer but if you get the same truck with the f350 badge on it it will have an overload spring in the rear and a be able to comfortably carry more weight. What is the advantage of the f250? The price of the two trucks is almost identical.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
JIMNLIN wrote:
Russ wrote:
There is no physical difference in the truck size between a 3/4 ton and a one ton STW, so the smart money is on getting the one ton.
It has slightly stronger springs and a higher GVWR and Payload.

Depending on new/used brands and year models and configurations and gvwr/rawr package the OP is looking at we have certain 3/4 ton trucks out here with more actual in the bed payloads or even GVWR based payloads than certain one ton srw trucks.

Like others have said the 3/4 ton HD will work fine for a 10000 gvwr 5th wheel trailer which certainly don't need a one ton srw...unless he just wants one.

Seems to me you are talking the way Ford plays games with GVWR’s!
Yep, Ford will sell you a F350 SRW with a 9,900# GVWR, or a 12,400# GVWR and several in between!
They will also sell you an F450 with a GVWR of 14,000# and an F350 DRW with a GVWR of 14,000# giving an about 300# payload advantage to the F350. :S
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Russ wrote:
There is no physical difference in the truck size between a 3/4 ton and a one ton STW, so the smart money is on getting the one ton.

Depending on new/used brands and year models and configurations and gvwr/rawr package the OP is looking at we have certain 3/4 ton trucks out here with more actual in the bed payloads or even GVWR based payloads than certain one ton srw trucks.

Like others have said the 3/4 ton HD will work fine for a 10000 gvwr 5th wheel trailer which certainly don't need a one ton srw...unless he just wants one.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to see the numbers you claim on 3/4 ton has the same payload as the 1 ton, show me the numbers on any brand that has more payload , apples to apples, not different configurations, but the same truck .

Never said apples to apples truck configurations. I said quote.... "Never saw the need for a one ton SRW which depending on truck brand may not have any more in the bed payload than the 3/4 ton HD."

Hell anyone that knows how to read Fleet Ford specs knows some F350 srw can have the same GVWR/RAWR as the F250 and the same payloads.

But you did bring up a good point of a loaded F350 SRW 6.7 crew cab 4wd 159" wb with a 2500 lb payload vs a F250 std cab long bed 6.7 2wd 141" wb with a 3450 lb payload.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
JIMNLIN wrote:
Having made a living using them all I prefer a 3/4 ton HD which can handle 3000-3400 lb of load in the bed safely/legally. BTDT.
Never saw the need for a one ton SRW which depending on truck brand may not have any more in the bed payload than the 3/4 ton HD.

Everyone has their likes/dislikes in truck sizes which is fine with me.
Any of the 3/4 ton truck will serve the OP with room to spare.

We are talking the OP just getting into towing a 5er and asking questions.
I carried a 5er 1,700# over GVWR for years and never felt unsafe, but I never told or encouraged others to do the same.
I went for a 3500 DRW, because with what we carry in the truck a 3500 SRW with out 2,700# pin would be within a couple hundred pounds or even over GVWR of 12,300#.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Having made a living using them all I prefer a 3/4 ton HD which can handle 3000-3400 lb of load in the bed safely/legally. BTDT.
Never saw the need for a one ton SRW which depending on truck brand may not have any more in the bed payload than the 3/4 ton HD.

No doubt as said the 3/4 ton will get the job done, nobody disagrees, but it has its limits .

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
My only comment is that watch what 5th wheel you purchase today using a 3/4-1 ton truck due to the fact that the newer trucks sit much higher in the rear and they can cause you to tow "nose high" with your trailer.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Couldn’t agree more , totally surprises me some of the responses, considering your response which seems obvious to many that know the score on the differences between the two . As you said , and IMO 3/4 tons don’t make a lot of sense .