Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Advice on towing a 5th wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Advice on towing a 5th wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/20 06:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Sarah8 wrote:

Thank you! This is really helping. I wondered about the pin weight "wet". Really hoping to get by with a 3/4. It says hitch weight is 1338 with a GVWR of 10195. So I should expect a pin weight of like 2,240??? That's a big difference. It's supposed to be one of the lighter 5th wheels with no slides in the bedroom.

That advertised hitch weight of 1338 is the DRY pin weight based on the DRY published weight of 5th wheel

Yes...wet pin could be 2240 (22% of GVWR)

Any recent 250/2500 truck will handle & carry that weight OK

Why all the advice on 250/2500, knowing full well the 1 ton is the better choice in many ways [emoticon]

I agree yet we have many that just get a 3/4 ton and bag it and go don’t worry about ratings!
The OP has not yet purchased a TV, why encourage them to get something that will put them over ratings from day one!
There is no size difference between a 3/4 ton and a one ton SRW. Many will say there isn’t any difference than the VIN and Payload tag. That may be but I am a lot happier being below those numbers than above them.

I will always say the worst feature of 5th wheels is how stable they tow! One can be way over GVWR and axle and a good set of bags and tires and one will likely never have a white knuckle experience.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/20 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Sarah8 wrote:

Thank you! This is really helping. I wondered about the pin weight "wet". Really hoping to get by with a 3/4. It says hitch weight is 1338 with a GVWR of 10195. So I should expect a pin weight of like 2,240??? That's a big difference. It's supposed to be one of the lighter 5th wheels with no slides in the bedroom.

That advertised hitch weight of 1338 is the DRY pin weight based on the DRY published weight of 5th wheel

Why all the advice on 250/2500, knowing full well the 1 ton is the better choice in many ways [emoticon]

There are other things to consider. Like registration fees. If the 1 ton is not necessary, and it is not for the size 5th wheel he is looking at, why pay the extra registration fee every year?

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking for a truck was the most difficult part of our shopping. We looked at used 250/350's for the longest time. Most prior years there wasn't a significant difference in payload other than springs and I was surprised to find there wasn't much difference in price either. I knew I wanted diesel and the trucks 8-10 years old were still so expensive, had over 100k miles on them with no warranty we decided it made sense just to buy new. I went with the F350 a because pricing against the F250 wasn't much different. The payload was close to max on a F250 for the FW we purchased and I also didn't want to be in a position that I couldn't buy a bigger FW later and have to buy a truck all over again. In short, you can't have too much truck, but it's easy to have too little. If you are buying new anyway the prices between 3/4 and 1T aren't much different. And the 2020/21 trucks have a LOT more HP, payload and torque than previous years no matter what brand you buy. They're pricey but from the shopping I've done, they hold their value.

* This post was edited 11/19/20 07:39am by way2roll *

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/20 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

" Really hoping to get by with a 3/4. It says hitch weight is 1338 with a GVWR of 10195."
^^^^^
Above per OP statement

Any late model 3/4 ton will easily handle this trailer, without even being close to going over ratings.

If someone asking, was absolutely considering a truck, that in my opinion was not safe/capable, I'd be the first to advise them of a better choice!

In many states GVWR is just a class regulation for insurance/registration. In states that do consider GVWR for registration, you only need to pay for it. Now you are good for 12k GVWR on your 25 series truck. It is the axle/tire ratings that matter, and if the tires are up to it, yes, bags can make the 3/4 ton do any job the 35 series SRW will do. If you see a bigger FW in your future, such as Russ may be considering, then get the 35 series DRW now and be done.

If you are considering a FW with a GVWR of 15K, yes, I'd say get the 35 series SRW as a minimum, and if full time is in your future, a long bed DRW truck a better choice.

Everyone does not need a bigger truck than needed for the FW they are wanting to buy!

Jerry

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

There are other things to consider. Like registration fees. If the 1 ton is not necessary, and it is not for the size 5th wheel he is looking at, why pay the extra registration fee every year?

How much difference is there in the curb weight between 250/2500 and 350/3500 trucks?
Many states the registration fees are based on GCVW, not ratings. So that cost may be nothing.
Once sold a truck, and started to drive a El Camino in the same month. No refund on the 54,000 plates, so I transferred to Ellie

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/20 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 32' fifth wheel. Pulls just fine with our Chev 2500 HD Diesel. No weight issues. The only issue we have is we have looked at some larger trailers, toy haulers, etc. Can't safely pull them with our current truck. Would need a 1 ton. My only regret is not having a 1 ton long bed for hauling. We mostly use the truck to haul, so if I could buy all over again right now, it would be a 1 ton.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/20 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

We have a 32' fifth wheel. Pulls just fine with our Chev 2500 HD Diesel. No weight issues. The only issue we have is we have looked at some larger trailers, toy haulers, etc. Can't safely pull them with our current truck. Would need a 1 ton. My only regret is not having a 1 ton long bed for hauling. We mostly use the truck to haul, so if I could buy all over again right now, it would be a 1 ton.

Again , we have all these experienced guys pushing 3/4 ton , and using things like registration, it will handle it etc etc. I bought my first diesel it was a 1 ton to tow a 26 foot light weight travel trailer , never gave a fifth wheel a thought until about three years later , and had the truck for it . Your story we’ve heard many times .

My advice for the OP get the 1 ton and be done , and room to grow , and forget the 3/4 ton mistake .

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/20 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Sarah8 wrote:

As said the age old 3/4 ton mistake , registration is minimal compared to having to get the right tow vehicle . It’s seldom once someone starts with a small fifth wheel they stay with one .

Sarah8

Oswego

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, lots to think about. Yes, I really want to stay with a 250. The truck will be my daily driver for errands and carpools. Still trying to swallow giving up the SUV. However, I am definitely looking at all the numbers. It's amazing what truck salesmen don't know. Having to get a bigger truck is on the negative side of choosing a 5th wheel over trailer. However, that 5th wheel sure offers more. Also, I don't plan on going bigger. This will be our 5th trailer. We have 2 big teenagers now. Like I mentioned before a really small travel trailer is my first choice but right now I want the double bunks. Thanks, so much to think about.

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't get double bunks in a TT?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Advice on towing a 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.