Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: TC Horizontal LP Cylinders
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TC Horizontal LP Cylinders

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

We don't replace $5 alternator brushes, but do $500 alternator replacement.

Except:
- Unless its some kind of specialty alternator, figure $100-150
- The price for labor to replace the brushes and wind up with an alternator that may lose the bearings soon and it's $100-150.

Of course, you can buy a rebuilt one for even cheaper if it makes you feel bad about it getting thrown away. Usually, they want the old one so they can rebuild it as part of the deal.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never been hassled about my 2003 horizontal tanks by a propane dealer. Granted I keep the tanks clean, and paint over any scratches. They look relatively new which I suspect is why they never check.

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Geewizard

E. Washington

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric&Lisa wrote:

I have never been hassled about my 2003 horizontal tanks by a propane dealer. Granted I keep the tanks clean, and paint over any scratches. They look relatively new which I suspect is why they never check.

Ditto. I had one guy at a U-Haul refuse to fill my tank. He had never encountered one. I don't go there anymore.

2004 Outfitter Apex 8
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
220W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Wave 3 Heater
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/20 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To add a little more complication the the propane cylinder/tank subject , I have 2 original horizontal ASME TANKS that don't have OPD valves and are portable . They are filled and used in the horizontal . Some fillers have no clue what to do with them . They are very heavy , 50# each filled .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Ramblin' Ralph

Central California Coast

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2001 Lance 845 has one 20lb horizontal tank. Fills vertically. Have had tank recertified twice and all they do is inspect it visually. Since it's in a compartment, it doesn't rust much, so no problem with recertification. At $200 for a new one, hope current one lasts as long as I have the rig! [emoticon]

Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 125 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 715 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram / Twitter

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/20 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Picked up my cylinders today. New valves, recertified, and filled. I also tested both of them at home with my Webber grill to make sure they worked. Now I have a spare cylinder in case it’s needed.

The recertification sticker can be seen on the top ring.

[image]

My offer of the second old cylinder stands. If you want it, stop by and get it.

I think I’ll take the rest of the day off. I hear a beer calling me. [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super interesting thread.

We have a 20LB horizontal tank in the truck camper. The tank is a 2005 vintage. The tank is absolutely mint condition, without a scratch, ding or rust. Looks factory new. We've only had the tank re-filled maybe 7 times over 15 years.

It is out of certification, and I brought it to our local gas plant (a huge plant the size of 2 Walmarts), and had the guys in the plant take a look at it. They played around with the empty tank for a bit, and said the tank was in mint condition. No charge, no certification. T'was refilled no problem.

Their charge for a recert was $45 Canadian dollars + tax (if it would have needed a valve change).

I'm realistic, and one day, the tank will need to be certified (valve changed) at some point. I was putzing around on the "Net" this past summer, and found what looks to be a direct replacement for our Manchester...called Flame-King. here-->

This Flame King valve "faces" to the right, and my camper's Manchester valve is hosed-up for left-facing tank valves. I found some on the "Net" for between $110 to $130 dollars....considerably less cost than our original 2005 tank.

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bare in mind we are talking cylinders here.
Tank is something permanently attached to RV.
My 1972 bus conversion had propane tank in it. Funny, back in 1970's the RV propane tanks did not exist, so converter used 40 gallons residential tank and fit it in bus basement. That thing never needed and still doesn't need recertification as it falls under different laws than portable cylinders.
The only issues I had refilling it was making declaration that propane is not used as motor fuel.
I do like horizontal cylinders, not only for their gauges, but also for easy operation.
Had 2 vertical, 7 gallons cylinders in Lance and refilling the inner one was quite a task. Especially when loaded high on the truck.
Then I never knew how much propane I had.

* This post was edited 11/22/20 09:35am by Kayteg1 *

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silversand wrote:

Super interesting thread.

We have a 20LB horizontal tank in the truck camper. The tank is a 2005 vintage. The tank is absolutely mint condition, without a scratch, ding or rust. Looks factory new. We've only had the tank re-filled maybe 7 times over 15 years.

It is out of certification, and I brought it to our local gas plant (a huge plant the size of 2 Walmarts), and had the guys in the plant take a look at it. They played around with the empty tank for a bit, and said the tank was in mint condition. No charge, no certification. T'was refilled no problem.

Their charge for a recert was $45 Canadian dollars + tax (if it would have needed a valve change).

I'm realistic, and one day, the tank will need to be certified (valve changed) at some point. I was putzing around on the "Net" this past summer, and found what looks to be a direct replacement for our Manchester...called Flame-King. here-->

This Flame King valve "faces" to the right, and my camper's Manchester valve is hosed-up for left-facing tank valves. I found some on the "Net" for between $110 to $130 dollars....considerably less cost than our original 2005 tank.

Perhaps the regulations are different in Canada. In the US portable DOT propane cylinders have to be certified 12 years from manufacture and every 5 years thereafter , since 1998 . Your 2005 horizontal cylinder should already have the OPD valve so no need to change . You most likely could not get it filled here without recertification .

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Silver, I got the impression from the Ferrellgas guy that at some recertification point, a valve replacement is required. Considering the cost of the valve, that didn’t seem too unreasonable as long as you can get a replacement valve.

It looks like for the Manchester 20 lb horizontal OPD cylinders (10487TC) the correct replacement valve is V20691.1.

Both Camperid.com

And Highskyrvparts.com

Are selling that valve for the Manchester 20 lb horizontal cylinders.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TC Horizontal LP Cylinders
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.