cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A motorhomes with a Ford V10 Chassis

blazenpm
Explorer
Explorer
I am curious if there is a prevalence of Ford V10 engines with issues. For instance: throwing a cylinder rod and puncturing the engine casing. Starter motor failing and needing to be replaced.
19 REPLIES 19

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Newps: thanks for clarifying this.

Newps
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
that stated that if the engine happened to have a coolant leak and it ran out of coolant, you can still drive it about another 50 miles without damaging the engine. The engine, when out of coolant, will continue running on only a few cylinders and not all ten.

50 miles may be theoretically possible but practically speaking you aren't going any distance. I have had 3 V10's in my F250's. My current one is my plow truck, a 2007. On a trip to town the engine light came on at the same time it slowed to a crawl. I was on the highway doing 70-75 when a heater hose coupling let go. As the coolant got to that spot it leaked out. Engine temp climbs right to the red and you are in limp home mode. You can get maybe 10-15 MPH. You won't be climbing any hill. At this point find a safe place to pull over.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2005 class b mh with the v10 engine and drove it for 13 years and 89,000 miles and never had any problem with it. It hardly ever used any oil even though I ran it hard and I am still amazed at what I read in the owner's manual that stated that if the engine happened to have a coolant leak and it ran out of coolant, you can still drive it about another 50 miles without damaging the engine. The engine, when out of coolant, will continue running on only a few cylinders and not all ten. I never tried it but always felt assured that I wouldn't be stranded because of this. Also never lost any spark plugs, cracked any exhaust manifolds nor had starter nor relay problems.

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back in 2002 we were traveling in a 1999 Bounder and for three years drove it from Texas to Florida to Alaska and all over the western Rockies while pulling toad. She huffed and puffed and screamed up every mountain but I never had any problem with the engine. I did change the oil to Amsoil right after I bought it and was quite happy with the V10.

If someone is feeding you a line about the suspected reliability of the engine, I wouldn't buy it.

Happy travels, Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

Waiter21
Explorer
Explorer
V10 has been a good motor, but like any mechanical device, some have their peculiarities. These are rare events, but seem to be peculiar to certain vintage V10s:

1999-2003ish - blowing spark plugs. seems to be torque related, as in not enough. plug loosens up, then vibrates around and destroys the threads and the plugs blows out.

2003ish 2006ish - two park spark plus break when attempting to remove.

2016 lifters / rockers destroyed.. May be an issue with oil pressure. When engine was assembled inadequate sealant around tension-er allows oil to leak, reduced oil to lifters/rockers.

Starters - Ford has always had issues with starters. Heat from the exhaust system seems to contribute to the failures. I install a heat shield on my starter to reduce the heat from the exhaust system.

Exhaust manifold studs have always been an issue with all Ford modular engines. Thankfully, motorhome V10s are a lot easier to repair than the pickups and vans.

https://www.1999southwind.com/f53-replacing-broken-exhaust-manifold-studs/
1999 Southwind F53, 2003 Saturn Vue toad
www.1999Southwind.comwww.1999Southwind.com

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the others--it's pretty much a bulletproof engine if given basic maintenance. That isn't to say that accessories (including the starter) won't eventually wear out, but that's true of any engine; but the V10 is overall quite reliable and robust.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
More fake news going on LOL
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
I had a 1999 V-10

---
the starter relay died at about 15k miles. Both covered under warranty and easy fixes. Great trouble free engine

OP, it you're still there... This is a good point.... The starters on the V10 rarely fail, but the starter relays DO fail. I usually need a new one every 100k or so, so I carry spare now.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Never an issue. Only problem on early ines were plugs spitting and exhaust manifold bolts breaking. Other than that it is one of he few engines that won't leave you stranded.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a 1999 V-10 in 36' Pace Arrow Vision. So it was pretty heavy and I pulled either a toad or a 20ft enclosed trailer. 150,000 miles with only 2 minor issues--- idler pulley bearing for serpentine belt went bad at about 10k miles and the starter relay died at about 15k miles. Both covered under warranty and easy fixes. Great trouble free engine
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Bruce_Brown
wolfe10 wrote:
In a word, NO. One of the more reliable gasoline engines ever used in an RV.

This.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
No.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Unanimous!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Just to be clear, you need a new starter... But you aren't sure if you want to replace it because you fear a rod going through the block? I've never seen that. In fact, it was rare I ever had a V10 get towed in to the shop.

I know one up-fitter that hit a deer a Wyoming, and drove it (a F250 V10) 1,000 miles back to headquarters in Oregon without coolant. I've driven 300+ miles without an intact radiator myself, and another time without a working alternator. The only I've been stranded and required a tow home, was when I sheared my differential pinion gear in half (don't turn off torque management for the 1-2 shift!)
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST