cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is there any difference in DRIVING a gas class A vs diesel?

Egor_sRV
Explorer
Explorer
I've been toying with the idea of trading in my gas Bounder for a diesel powered coach. Do they ride any smoother (my wife's pet peeve), do they handle much differently on state highways and interstates, and do they really make much difference for towing?
I've had two class C's before moving to the A, and each coach has been bigger than the last, and for me, better.
There are a lot of used diesels on the market right now and I was wondering if it would be worth trading again to get a better ride and livability.
Thanks for any insights.
Egor
"Of all the things I have lost during my lifetime, I miss my mind the most."
36 REPLIES 36

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
map40 wrote:
To the OP, my advise is make your decision based on ride quality, handling, noise and layout, not fuel type. Diesels cost twice as much to maintain. Unless you are buying something with over 400HP, power is not much of a difference anymore

Power may be of lesser importance now, but powerBAND is still a big deal, one that newcomers to RVing may not always be aware of.

People complain about the noise up front in a gas-powered Class A, and for good reason. It's noisy not only because the engine is situated right between them, but also because a gasoline engine has to turn higher RPMs to make its rated power. This is a concern because an engine that constantly runs at higher RPMs will suffer greater parts wear over time.

A diesel, OTOH, makes good power at significantly lower RPMs, which results in longer engine life. Our 450HP Cummins-powered RV loafs at 1,750RPM at 65MPH. You won't see that in a gasser - it'll be screaming.

The combination of more usable power and torque at lower RPMs explains why over-the-road trucks and most construction equipment use diesel power. These same reasons are why diesel engines make for an attractive solution for Class A motorhomes.

The price of admission will typically be less for a gas powered motorhome, but like anything else in life, you get what you pay for.
2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
map40 wrote:
Gas engines now have transmission braking also

Yes modern transmissions in gasoline chassis now have the ability to downshift to give raise engine RPM to produce braking HP.

But, don't confuse it with a transmission brake= transmission retarder which has massively more braking HP.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

map40
Explorer
Explorer
Gundog wrote:
I did not read all the replies but if you tow having an exhaust brake sure is nice.

Gas engines now have transmission braking also
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

map40
Explorer
Explorer
I did not mean to ruffle too many feathers. The best example I can give you is I had a Fleetwood Fiesta LX, 37 feet long, V10, 362HP. Towing 5000#s I could go up hill accelerating with no problems anywhere. My 2007 Alfa See Ya Cat C7 350HP towing 5000# would not pick up any speed when going uphill.
If I put my foot down, the gasser would take off much faster, no matter what.
I understand the Alfa is heavier, but the gasser was no slouch. I believe there is an outdated concept that all diesels are better. I believe that once you go over 400HP and 1000# of torque diesels are faster, but the gassers have improved so much that they can compete with no problems.
Why do I have Diesels? Simple: rear engine, no noise, ride quality.
Also speed limit. The F53 is limited to 75. I don't drive that fast, but the transmissions in the F53s are doomed thanks to the governor. You put the foot down, it down shifts and once it hits 75 it stays there, revving at 5000RPM. This will kill the tranny pretty fast.
One last thing, I did not buy a new RV every year, I owned an RV rental company and we had a fleet. I have seen the RVs go through 200K on both types of engines trouble free. As a matter of fact, I had a V10 in a class C with 300K, all original.
To the OP, my advise is make your decision based on ride quality, handling, noise and layout, not fuel type. Diesels cost twice as much to maintain. Unless you are buying something with over 400HP, power is not much of a difference anymore
Alfa SeeYa

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I did not read all the replies but if you tow having an exhaust brake sure is nice.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

Bruce_Brown
^^^ But a diesel has TORQUE a gasser doesn't. Where a gasser fades on a long, uphill pull, a diesel just keeps humming along.

But you are correct, some diesels have the "low torque" engines, the bigger ones don't.

Our 39'er is 400hp, but it's also 1200 #/ft torque. That the number that makes driving it more enjoyable.

My Super Duty is a diesel too, for a reason.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
map40 wrote:

"I had at least 26 different RVs. Somehow I never found the diesel to be more powerful than the gas". This is very true. When people say a diesel is more powerful than a gas MH it is not an apples to apples comparison. For example 38-40 ft DP will weight 30K lbs or more and have maybe 300-380 HP. A gas MH on Ford chassis may weigh half the weight at 15-18K lbs and have 362HP. The gas MH will have the same 362 HP eng in any length while a DP will usually have a smaller eng in the shorter lengths. So a 32ft gas chassis will have a much higher HP to weight ratio than a 40 ft DP. Quality in general, soother ride and more living and cargo space would be better reasons to buy a DP.

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
map40 wrote:
I had at least 26 different RVs. Somehow I never found the diesel to be more powerful than the gas.
I haven't bought another RV every year we've been at it, but I've owned both gas and diesel. You and I own diesels now, and both of us understand why.

My experience parallels the rest of all the other posts here and elsewhere on the internet about the differences between the two. It isn't about power - bigger engine, smaller engine...not the issue - it's a quality of life thing.

The fact is that you'll have to work very hard to find any diesel-powered RV built on a sub-standard chassis and/or with sub-standard house components. Prevosts are expensive - Bounders are less so. There's a reason. And, OBTW, for anyone who doesn't know, Prevosts are not gassers.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Really? are you not towing anything at all?
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

map40
Explorer
Explorer
I had at least 26 different RVs. Somehow I never found the diesel to be more powerful than the gas. The v10s rev up and go like a bat out of hell compared to the cats and Cummins. And even going uphill, the gassers can pick up speed better, and they also have transmission braking.
No, the difference is the chassis. Air ride and rear engine make the difference. Bigger tires, better axles, better steering.
And yes, right now I own 2 RVs, both diesels, cloth Caterpillar.
Alfa SeeYa

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Egor'sRV wrote:
I have always done my own repair and renovation. That may have to change some as I have no experience with diesel engines.

Something I didn't see pointed out here is that if a diesel engine gets the maintenance it requires, as specified by the mfgr, you're not going to NEED to do much work on it. Keep the engine, tranny, and generator oil and filters clean and replaced at the correct intervals, and a diesel will go a lot further than a gasser will before needing anything major. They're built that way, which is why all the over-the-road trucks are diesel-powered.

As you already know, an RV consists of a lot of moving parts, since it's not only a vehicle, but a home as well, with all the appliances, plumbing, etc that goes with that aspect. THAT'S where your DIY experience can really help. If you can do that stuff, you'll be ahead of the game, and you won't have to worry about the dealer's minimum-wage kid doing on-job training on your rig with his little power driver, and stripping all the fasteners in the process.

Good luck with your search.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Egor'sRV wrote:
I've been toying with the idea of trading in my gas Bounder for a diesel powered coach. Do they ride any smoother (my wife's pet peeve), do they handle much differently on state highways and interstates, and do they really make much difference for towing?
I've had two class C's before moving to the A, and each coach has been bigger than the last, and for me, better.
There are a lot of used diesels on the market right now and I was wondering if it would be worth trading again to get a better ride and livability.
Thanks for any insights.
Egor

Lots of good info posted... here's one more. In the Class C the driver sits quite aways behind the steer axle . On a gas Class A, teh driver generally sits on top of the steer axle or a just a little behind it. On most Pushers, the driver will be sitting in front of the steer axle. Makes driving a bit different.... I like it.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Yes DP and V10 beg difference being DP quiet and and partner can talk and hear each other very well. I my V10 not so much my friends DP handle like a tame ***** cat my F53 a wild elephant LOL.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Egor_sRV
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank all you contributors to this question. I never thought I would get this much feedback in such a short time.

From what the majority of you have said, I have started looking for my next camper: Diesel pusher with big engine and probably washer/dryer hookups. I have always done my own repair and renovation. That may have to change some as I have no experience with diesel engines. But, I can learn.

Thanks again to all of you.
Egor
"Of all the things I have lost during my lifetime, I miss my mind the most."