Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical Short Under Sink on 2019 1062 Lance

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II

Other Photos

I have an electrical short under the sink of our 2019 1062 Lance. Apparently the black rubber insulation rubbed off of a multi conductor wire where it rubbed on the very sharp edge of some plywood.

We saw a flash come from that general area when the camper was very new and it blew a camper breaker, but I could never find the problem. The problem did not occur again until a few days when we plugged the camper in at home and it blew a 15 amp house breaker.

When I partially retracted the slide, the electrical short went away. So I knew it was something to do with the kitchen slide out. I again looked around in there and found the exposed coper wire were the insulation had been rubbed off. I can fix the wire if I can get to it.

Getting to it is my problem. My arms are not long enough to reach the wires very well through the cabinet door opening.

My question is: is there a way to remove the wood around the door opening to allow more room to reach in there?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

BradW
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos
9 REPLIES 9

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
See this post is a bit dated so he probably got er fixed, but for future reference, I wouldn’t even try to repair it in that location. Find both ends and use the old wire to pull new wire through. Use something more durable or protect it/fix the sharp edge ( if you can get in there). If nothing else, pull new wire mark location where it’s rubbed before, pull it back enough to access that part of the wire. Zip tie a piece of split hose or wire loom over it and then pull it back into location.

Maybe consider insulating or protecting the rest of them too if they move with the slide.

Depends, does the wire move with the slide or was it just stripped bare when it was pulled through during assembly?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Were you able to get this fixed Brad?

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
What do those round plastic covers hide? If that interior box removable might give more room.

Can't imagine cabinet face frame removable without some de-construction. But I'd also be inclined to pull new wire.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Just looking at the construction of the cabinets in my camper, which is 18 years older, the joints of the structural pieces are all stapled or pocket screwed, and glued. Then there’s a thin plywood skin over that. It would be difficult to get any of it apart without cutting the joints.

Getting the counter top off would be do-able, but I’d have to pull the water heater and the stove out to get to all the screws.

Is there any possibility that new wires could be pulled through that area?

I wish I could help you more than that, but it’s probably going to be a tough fix regardless of who does it. And, part of the fix is going to have to prevent future damage.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Brad, looking at the pics, I see the sink is recessed under the countertop, but is there room to remove the sink, allowing room to perhaps lean in from the top. Still awkward, but may offer more room.

I have taken apart a lot of cabinets in various RV's, some can be partially dismantled by removing screws on the inside. Possibly might be able to take the front of the cabinets out by accessing assembly screws. Use a mirror to find out how it's held together.

It's hit and miss and depends how they built it.

Another option, although a bit of work would be to remove the countertop for access from above. Chances are it is totally held in place with screws.
May need to become a contortionist to to get in there to get at the screws. I have used mirrors to get into tight spots to see whats there.

Is that your HWT behind and to the left of the damaged wires?
If so, maybe you could pull it out for access from the outside.

But I agree this is a factory problem and the manufacturer should go good for the repair. You're lucky you didn't have a fire...
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
might be easier to remove the slide then replace bad wire.

easier but fraught with danger. mess up alignment, factory will of course blame you.
bumpy

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
might be easier to remove the slide then replace bad wire.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
look under the slide. You will find a junction box where the 120 AC romex wire meets a flexible conduit to go into the slide. You need to replace the wire that is in the flexible conduit. Both ends of that conduit are accessible. One end in the j-box and the other is at a receptacle or another or piece of equipment.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
When it blew shore breaker - it has to be 120V cable that sparks.
Unfortunately I can't stick my head there from the distance, but if that was messed up at factory, you should have warranty for it?
Either way, you don't want to patch 120V cable under the sink.
You have to disconnect it, pull out and replace, or cut short and reinstall it better way.