cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leg supports for truck camper storage

north_mom
Explorer
Explorer
We had our Sunlite truck camper legs sitting on top of concrete blocks for winter storage last year. Last spring while installing the camper back on our truck the rear legs shifted and the rear part of camper ended up falling off both blocks and ended up in a very precarious place. We need to use something as a base as the truck is too tall to just set the camper legs directly on the ground, what do others use for this? I'd like to avoid having the camper fall again next spring!
14 REPLIES 14

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have to do this and I ended up using really big wood blocks.
Really big huge ones.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Holy shinto folks...... no wonder this forum erupts into fights so often. Half the time I think its cause no one reads what people are saying.....anyhow.....

OP: You said "concrete blocks". Would be good to know what you're referring to and more importantly, how tall of a block/riser you need to get the clearance for loading?

Like one of the few that understood what you said suggested, wood boxes. Just be mindful of how much they stick in-board of your front jack feet as you don't want your tires hitting them when pulling out/in. If it's not a lot you need, perhaps a stack of 2x6's or 2x8's, screwed together, would be enough of a foot print to be stable enough.

I have unloaded my camper at times on concrete and have had the sudden "kick out" you sound like you're describing. Not quite an underwear change moment, but does make you blush.... 🙂

If you're worried about them kicking off the stacked 2x's, blocking in the feet, as someone mentioned, would work. 3/4" plywood strips would do the trick. Or some alum. angle iron if you want a bit more Gucci factor. Or if you want quick and dirty, 3 or 4 #14 screws to trap the foot would work. Just lower the legs down far enough so you can shove the risers under and get them lined up.

If your ground is soft, run a 2x from the fronts to the backs and between the backs. That'll increase the weight distribution a bit.

And anything wood on the ground needs a few coats of good paint.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

north_mom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, this was very helpful. Yes I was talking about unloading the camper so that the legs are resting on top of concrete blocks and nothing is under the center to support that. Our driveway isn't paved so a rolling table wouldn't work for us.
RickW - your info was excellent. The way you describe the legs "walking" is exactly what happened last spring and I just thought something was wrong w/the camper, it is far from being new. Now I know that it was just that the storage spot wasn't level and we've put it in a different place this year. Now I also know to raise it more slowly next year! Thanks again to everyone!

RickW
Explorer II
Explorer II
My thoughts:

1. If the spot you are parking is not level, then the legs will try to "walk" when raising the jacks one at a time. Can you level the spot?

2. If you are raising jacks one at a time, raise them a smaller amount each time and more times. The conventional recommendation is 4 inches at a time. Try 2 inches at a time.

3. Instead of one block per leg, use 2 for the front legs (need tire clearance), and 4 for the rear legs. Strap them together so they won't move during loading/unloading.

Hope this helps,
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I set my truck camper on cinder blocks,three stacked on each corner with a 2X6 across each end..Wind and heavy snow hasn't bothered it at all and I'm in and out of it often..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the issue the camper moving at back, or falling off the blocks when it moves? Maybe set wooden blocks on a set the dollies used to move a car in the shop. That way movement would not let it fall.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Seems like most of you didn’t read the OPs post......
To the OP, I’ve never seen a camper “shift” enough for this to happen.
Possible Solutions: Since we have no idea what actually caused your camper to slip or move in the first place.
1. Bigger footprint blocks
2. Proper raising or lowering procedures
3. Don’t run into the camper with the truck
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ranholago
Explorer
Explorer
That is my biggest concern, that the camper will move/twist to the side. Its a worrisome problem for me. I use a small trailer (Zieman) used for golf cart to set the camper on, if its not on the truck. My jacks just "touch" the ground and the camper rests 90% of its weight on the trailer. The result is that the camper is low to the ground, it is secure and getting in and out is easy and steady. I can move the camper any where I want, out of the way in the winter and in position when ready to load. works for me.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
There are made made leg extensions with different means to attach, yield 6-8" length. Happijacs style that bolt to existing jack pad or Atwood style where you cut off pad and leg inserts into ext and pins (like tongue jack foot).
Easy to fab if you have means.
/.etrailer.com HappiJac 182495
/amazon Atwood 40302
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
what I ready they are saying is because the truck is so high so they put blocks UNDER the camper legs to allow enough room to lift the camper off the truck.
this spring while loading it one of the blocks shifted

What I would do is build a platform where the front and rear blocks are all connected. Remember you only need the front blocks to clear the tires, the rear blocks can be larger. You can still tie the front together with a treated 2X because the truck can drive over that with no issues.
If you build a small deck type platform with all 4 blocks connected, with a good foundation of some sort so they don't sink in I bet it would solve your problem.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I lower my camper onto a stack of pallets. I use blocks under the jack legs and keep some of the weight on the jacks as well as the stack of pallets.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
midnightsadie wrote:
same tc made a rolling table. lowered the tc down and could store it any where .

The way I read OP, he does not pass the Lincoln test; His legs are not long enough to reach the ground.
To store, the rolling table is a good idea.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
same tc made a rolling table. lowered the tc down and could store it any where .

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe wooden box, with a rim so the jack foot can't slip off?