cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recomendation for campground near Memphis.

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
In March we will be heading from Pa to see the grand kids in San Antonio, Texas.We have reservations for Potters Creek at Canyon Lake. Out first stop will be Warriors Path State park in Tennessee. We need a stop somewhere close to I-40 around Memphis. We prefer state or Federal campgrounds but a decent private campground would work.Any suggestions for campgrounds you have stayed at would be appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I think there is a COE at Arkabukla Lake south of Memphis in Mississippi. A bit out of the way but you could take the loop around the east side of Memphis, then 61 north back to I-40.
Or take 61 through "Blues Country" down to I-20. Check out the "Crossroads" at Hwy1 and Hwy 8. Ground Zero Blues Club and the Delta Blues Museum in Clarksdale.
Otherwise X2 on Tom Sawyers.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Birdnst
Explorer
Explorer
I will jump in on Tom Sawyer, spent 3 days there a few years ago and would like to do it again.
If you cannot take good care of what you have, you will not have anything good for very long!!!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Busdriver wrote:
Tom Sawyer across the river, beautiful views

Been there a few times. Best was when they did not have any sites so we dry camped right next to the river. No need to go outside to watch the tows go by.

Stayed at Fuller too. Be warned. If the wind is in the wrong direction you get the aroma of the nearby sewage plant.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
What Busdriver says. Tom Sawyer is worth staying an extra day or more, watching tugs and barges go by!
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Tom Sawyer across the river, beautiful views

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Natchez Trace State Park is also an option if you want to stop to the east of Memphis. This might let you avoid rush hour traffic. Check your mileage from Warrior's Path to Memphis---it's a LONG way across TN.

That looks good. Thanks.

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
We stayed at Loretta Linns ranch in June and would go again. Itโ€™s about an hour west of Nashville just of I-40.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Natchez Trace State Park is also an option if you want to stop to the east of Memphis. This might let you avoid rush hour traffic. Check your mileage from Warrior's Path to Memphis---it's a LONG way across TN.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an anti recommendation, avoid the Joy-O unless there is no other choice for an overnight stop.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed at TO Fuller State Park, it was nice and close to 40. I'd stay again if I needed to be in the area.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E