cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Tax Credit

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a complete solar system installed in Quartzsite earlier this year and I have since found out that the IRS has a 26% tax credit for solar installations on your primary or secondary residence. They accept an rv as a second residence, but I've seen references to motor homes and mobile homes, not travel trailers or fifth wheels. I've also seen descriptions by others that a dwelling with a bed, toilet and stove as acceptable.
Anybody have any experience with this? We spend considerable time 'living' in our rig.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights
15 REPLIES 15

Crespro
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

This is an interesting concept. Let me quote the IRC and an IRS Notice. It appears that a full-timer who uses a class A, fifth wheel or TT as principal residence does qualify.

There may be an argument that the first bold limitation is descriptive and the second bold sentence permits the credit for an RV. You should share this with your CPA who will make the decision.

Crespro

========================

I.R.C. ยง 25D(d)(2) Qualified Solar Electric Property Expenditure โ€” The term โ€œqualified solar electric property expenditureโ€ means an expenditure for property which uses solar energy to generate electricity for use in a dwelling unit located in the United States and used as a residence by the taxpayer.

Q&A on Tax Credits for Sections 25C and 25D
Notice 2013-70

SECTION 1. PURPOSE
This notice provides guidance with respect to the credits for nonbusiness energy property under ยง 25C of the Internal Revenue Code (Code) and residential energy efficient property under ยง 25D of the Code. This notice incorporates the changes made to ยง 25C by section 710 of the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010, Pub. L. No. 111-312, 124 Stat. 3296 (2010) (the 2010 Act) and to ยง 25C and ยง 25D by sections 104 and 401 of the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012, Pub. L. No. 112-240, 126 Stat. 2313 (2013) (the 2012 Act).

SECTION 3. QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS RELATED TO BOTH ยง 25C (NONBUSINESS ENERGY PROPERTY) AND ยง 25D (RESIDENTIAL ENERGY EFFICIENT PROPERTY)

Q-6: Are the credits available for improvements made to a second home (for example, a vacation home or an investment property)?
A-6: Improvements made to a second home are not eligible for the credit under ยง 25C.
Section 25C(c) and (d) require qualified energy efficiency improvements and residential energy property to be installed in or on a dwelling unit owned and used by the taxpayer as the taxpayerโ€™s principal residence (within the meaning of ยง 121).
With respect to the credit under ยง 25D, fuel cell property credits are not available for second homes. Section 25D(d)(3) requires fuel cell property to be installed on or in connection with a dwelling unit that is used as the taxpayerโ€™s principal residence (within the meaning of ยง 121). However, a taxpayer may claim a ยง 25D credit for other qualifying properties described in ยง 25D that are not fuel cell properties (solar electric property, solar water heating property, small wind energy property, and geothermal heat pump property) installed in or on a dwelling unit used as a second home or a vacation home by the taxpayer. But a taxpayer may not claim the ยง 25D credit for expenditures for improvements made to an investment property, such as rental property, that is not also used as a residence by the taxpayer.

(2) Dwelling unit. For purposes of this paragraph (e), the term dwelling unit has the same meaning as in section 280A(f)(1), but does not include appurtenant structures or other property.

Sec. 280A(f)Definitions and special rules
(1)Dwelling unit defined For purposes of this sectionโ€”
(A)In general The term โ€œdwelling unitโ€ includes a house, apartment, condominium, mobile home, boat, or similar property, and all structures or other property appurtenant to such dwelling unit.
Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
LOL, yes he is.
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA
2022 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2023 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Edd505 wrote:
I know you can deduct the interest on the RV as a second home. Taking the tax credit for solar seams like a no brainier, but then I'm not a tax expert.

Taxman2436 probably is (I dunno.. maybe something with his moniker), and he answered it.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I know you can deduct the interest on the RV as a second home. Taking the tax credit for solar seams like a no brainier, but then I'm not a tax expert.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is one of several websites promoting it:
www.solar-electric.com/learning-center/save-money-on-rv-solar-with-the-federal-solar-tax-credit/
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago I was building a new house. In the middle of the construction there was a tax credit started. I couldn't make sense of how it pertained to me so I went to the IRS office where I got a lot of smarta$$ remarks about it being for builders, not me. I went home and put in the figures that eliminated every dime of tax and mailed it.

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
The solar credit is for your main home only. The mortgage interest deduction applies to a primary residence and second home. Your travel trailer would qualify as a second residence for the interest deduction but there is no credit for solar installations on a second home. I believe that is where the confusion comes from.

I hope this helps.

Lenny
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA
2022 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2023 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A Birger King bureaucrat? Why the cheap shot at state and federal tax agency workers?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
JKJavelin wrote:
Somehow I have doubts that a beaurocrat on the phone will understand the difference between a motorhome and a fifth wheel.

I agree. You will probably have better luck calling Burger King and asking the question. ๐Ÿ™‚

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Sure way to trigger an audit but may be entirely appropriate. Consult a tax professional not Good Sam membership.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, I googled it first and didn't see a clear answer, that's why I thought I'd see if anyone here with a trailer/fifth wheel had done it.
Somehow I have doubts that a beaurocrat on the phone will understand the difference between a motorhome and a fifth wheel. But I might have to find out.
JK
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

2oldman
Explorer