cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 Duramax Regen

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a L5P Duramax Don’t let them do the update for regens, mine used to to 4 to 6 hundred miles between regens, after the recall now 2 to 3 hundard miles

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS
24 REPLIES 24

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
duramax will also go to high idle in neutral during a cold start on cold days to help warmup. RPM will go to somewhere between 800-1000 IIRC, grid heater stays on, turbo goes to max backpressure and throttle valve is activated. All this to help warm up.

Doesn't the high idle only engage if you have the setting turn on in the DIC?

On my 2009, elevated idle has to be enabled in the DIC before it engages at the OAT temp that causes it to engage

Now that you mention it I think you are correct that it is a DIC setting. And default was not enabled. If so I changed mine. Been 5 years ago.......

I know on my 2004.5 there is a high idle on cold temp start setting that was an option that was enabled either through the DIC or if you didn't have the DIC readout through a set of steps you did once on a start.

On both trucks depending on how cold it is, the step from normal to high idle may take a minute or so, the colder it is, the longer it takes.

Also my 2015.5 came with the optional two stage high idle that can be engaged with the cruise control. but that high idle does not do much to help warmup, just up the idle for charging, plowing etc. when in neutral.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
S Davis wrote:
I keep an eye on my soot level and if I am getting up there and driving more than 30 minutes I will force a regen.

How does a person "force" the truck to regen?
What year is your truck?

Truck is a 2019 Chevy and my Edge CS2 gauge will initiate a regen.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
ktmrfs wrote:
duramax will also go to high idle in neutral during a cold start on cold days to help warmup. RPM will go to somewhere between 800-1000 IIRC, grid heater stays on, turbo goes to max backpressure and throttle valve is activated. All this to help warm up.

Doesn't the high idle only engage if you have the setting turn on in the DIC?

On my 2009, elevated idle has to be enabled in the DIC before it engages at the OAT temp that causes it to engage
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
S Davis wrote:
I keep an eye on my soot level and if I am getting up there and driving more than 30 minutes I will force a regen.

How does a person "force" the truck to regen?
What year is your truck?

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
This thread has been interesting and a learning experience for me. My 2020 Duramax and first diesel vehicle was idling high yesterday. I thought it was too warm outside for it to be idling higher than normal. Now I understand why! Thanks for teaching this old guy something 🙂

My 2015.5 warms up from cold WAY faster than my 2004.5
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I know that when my trucks were new, a regen happened pretty fast. It is said that is how they are programed..
So to me, it would follow that a reflash could cause the same behaviour.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
When Ford starts a regen that gets interrupted the regen is canceled till the filter reaches 100% full before initiating another attempt.............

That’s the way mine works, and there have been a few trips that just weren’t allowing a full regen to occur. It’s maddening to see that happen several times in a row. I wish when the DPF gets above about 80% soot load, it would allow you to start a manual regen. There have been too many times that if the ECM would just start the regen at the beginning of a short trip, it would have plenty of time to finish by the time I reach the destination. Instead, it seems to wait until just a few minutes before I get to where I’m going. Then it only has time to burn off about 10% of the soot.

:):)

If you have a Chevy you can use a Edge CS or CTS to monitor and initiate a regen, I have soot level, miles since last regen, as well as exhaust temperatures. It will also data log and read and clear Codes. I keep an eye on my soot level and if I am getting up there and driving more than 30 minutes I will force a regen.

To the op,

I would give it a regen or two before getting too worked up, I have had my Edge CS monitor since the truck was new and would get between 450-500 miles between regens depending on driving. I had an unfortunate issue when a drill bit got away from me and I ended up with a hole through my airbag module, I took it in to the dealer for that and they did the update for the regen cycle while it was there.

My next regen cycle didn’t even go 300 miles and the one after that about 400 miles, I went back to the dealer and complained to the service manager and was told nothing they could do. Since then I have gotten up to 720 miles between regens and it usually is around 650 plus or minus a few miles.

I think as mentioned above it needs to get some running data before things even out.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
This thread has been interesting and a learning experience for me. My 2020 Duramax and first diesel vehicle was idling high yesterday. I thought it was too warm outside for it to be idling higher than normal. Now I understand why! Thanks for teaching this old guy something 🙂
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
When Ford starts a regen that gets interrupted the regen is canceled till the filter reaches 100% full before initiating another attempt.............

That’s the way mine works, and there have been a few trips that just weren’t allowing a full regen to occur. It’s maddening to see that happen several times in a row. I wish when the DPF gets above about 80% soot load, it would allow you to start a manual regen. There have been too many times that if the ECM would just start the regen at the beginning of a short trip, it would have plenty of time to finish by the time I reach the destination. Instead, it seems to wait until just a few minutes before I get to where I’m going. Then it only has time to burn off about 10% of the soot.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
I had my 2019 updated and can't say it has effected it negatively at all. It seems like about every tank of fuel it goes into regen mode. The regens on my 2019 seems shorter than my old 2013 Chevy I had.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
When Ford starts a regen that gets interrupted the regen is canceled till the filter reaches 100% full before initiating another attempt. If someone uses their Ford for short trips they might run the DPF from 60 to 100% full and never gett a complete burn. I don’t know if that matters but it might be better to use the bottom half of the filter instead and keep it clean.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
4x4ord wrote:
My bet is that the programming change of initiating more regens is because our trucks seldom enter into a situation where they can do one long complete regen before we either reach our destination or enter into traffic conditions that interrupt the process.

But when the process is interrupted, it resumes when the truck is driven again.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
My bet is that the programming change of initiating more regens is because our trucks seldom enter into a situation where they can do one long complete regen before we either reach our destination or enter into traffic conditions that interrupt the process.
B&W Companion

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe the truck wastes less fuel doing two quick regens at 250 mile intervals than what it wastes doing one longer regen at 500 miles?
B&W Companion