cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drawer and cabinet doors peeling

galaxy24
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question for those of you that have older TTS. Our TT has the fake wood paper adhesive on the drawers and cabinet doors. It is starting to peel off. What have you guys done to repair this?

I was thinking of sanding down the drawer faces to remove this fake wood paper adhesive and stain the wood underneath. Any other recommendations or ideas on how to clean this up?

Thank you.
11 REPLIES 11

galaxy24
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the recommendations! Now I am going to come up with a plan and see the best way to tackle this.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
I would handle it as gently as possible to get rid of the peeling material. Then go over it with some stuff called "Goo Gone" to get rid of the adhesive goo. Use this only with really good ventilation, or you will get a buzz promptly followed by a splitting headache!

Sand it lightly with fine grit paper to smooth it down a little, especially on the edges.

Depending on what it looks like then, either paint it, or put a satin finish polyurethane on it, or cover it with some faux wood grain stuff.
There is all kind of faux wood wallpaper that's pretty durable stuff.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sand down lightly to get rid of the rest of that pealing top layer.

Be careful, I suspect the grained wood under it is a thin veneer of some type sort of like Luan (but there are many types of wood veneers) it won't take much to go through the veneer.

Luan can actually look real nice when lightly stained and covered with semi or glossy polyurethane.

Then you can experiment with a stain/polyurethane to see how it looks.

You might be lucky and that veneer may look nice without the faux wood look provided the faux wood grain wasn't hiding blemishes.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Birch or Maple. Poplar is too soft, if you walk by and fart, poplar will dent. Same with any other softwood such as Pine. Don't know if it's still widely available, Home Depot and Lowes used to sell rolls of veneer, easily applied with contact cement. https://www.homedepot.com/p/EDGEMATE-Edgemate-24-in-x-96-in-Mahogany-Wood-Veneer-with-10-mil-Paper-B...

MSchu
Explorer
Explorer
Poplar is great for painting, but doesn't stain well. I would be tempted to just sand and paint everything as long as it's still solid.

galaxy24
Explorer
Explorer
As much as I donโ€™t want to admit it I have the feeling to do this properly would be to replace the drawer front. If I was to go this route would you recommend poplar?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like Luan Plywood. Maybe you can sand it lightly and apply stain?

galaxy24
Explorer
Explorer
I attached an image of my worst drawer front. I am not sure on the type of material that is used here. Iโ€™m guessing pair all board. Hopefully, the image is good enough for you to tell.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
coolmom42 wrote:
Do you have real wood underneath? It may be particle board, which you are not likely to be able to sand.

^^^THIS^^^

Pretty much all RVs with the exception of high end luxury RVs the manufacturers will use "Particle board" otherwise know as "MDF" (Medium Density Fiber board) with a thin paper or vinyl veneer layer glued over top of the MDF..

When the veneer layer starts coming off, the MDF looks pretty ugly and the only DIY option I can think of would be to paint it after sanding/striping off the veneer layer..

The bad thing of MDF is moisture makes it swell and when it dries out, doesn't go back to original size and then it crumbles.. Dang cheap skates..

Might be a pretty expensive upgrade but you might want to check with some woodworkers or custom cabinet makers and see if they could make new doors and drawer fronts for you out of real wood if you plan to keep your RV for a long time.

I can't seem to find my pix of my trailer rebuild right now, I had gutted mine and custom built all new cabinets, drawers and doors. Custom stuff looks nice..

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, they're probably particle board. If you want to replace the adhesive paper you could sand lightly and polyurethane the wood. That will give a smooth surface to attach the adhesive paper.
Another option is remove the adhesive paper and skim coat the wood with joint compound. Sand and paint the doors. It will give you a smooth finish.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have real wood underneath? It may be particle board, which you are not likely to be able to sand.

Possibly your best bet is 1) to re-glue the peeling stuff or 2) completely remove it and replace it with some other adhesive material, such as a wood-look wallpaper.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board