cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

car towing

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone please tell me the last manufactured year a Honda can be towed? Thanks!
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
15 REPLIES 15

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
howdy35 wrote:
I am towing a 2014 Honda CRV which is the last year Honda that can be towed four down. In 2015 Honda changed to the CVT transmission which cannot be towed without considerable damage. So a Honda up thru 2014 can be towed four down.

Hope this helps. Happy Travels. Arnold

+1. We owned a 2014 CRV which was towable, traded for a 2015 which was not due to new CVT transmission.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Janss, thanks for the info. I looked at another source (genuine Honda manual) and found recreational towing. This one says to use the procedure of starting the engine and running through the gears and leaving it in neutral to tow.
Apparently the search engine sent me to a later year CRV than what I have.
I feel MUCH BETTER now. Thanks again
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Honda CRV (it is AWD though). Did you look in the actual manual that came with the car, or just online? If you want, tell me what page number you saw this info, and I'll look at my manual. Was it in the "recreational towing" section or the "roadside service" (i.e. behind a tow truck) section?
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting dialog going here. We pulled a '05 Element for quite a while and now we have a Jeep. I just bought a '13 CRV because my wife cannot use her legs and it is hard to get her in the Jeep.
Everywhere I read that '14 was the last year you could tow the CRV. I look at the owners manual on line for the '13 and see that 'damage may occur' if towed. Now, did Honda change the on-line information? Is, in fact, is the '13 towable or is it not?
The CRV I just bought is not straight shift nor is it 4WD. Have I made a big 'aw shucks" or is Honda covering their backside? Advice and comments please
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

dtgunner7
Explorer
Explorer
Look at FMCA web site, they have a towing guide and is a good place to start. then look at manufacturers guide in car or suv hand book

ranholago
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a 2014 Honda CRV. Just finished setting it up and have only been out once so far.
I can say the installation and setting everything up to tow the Honda was a breeze even for an OLD guy

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am towing a 2014 Honda CRV which is the last year Honda that can be towed four down. In 2015 Honda changed to the CVT transmission which cannot be towed without considerable damage. So a Honda up thru 2014 can be towed four down.

Hope this helps. Happy Travels. Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

Y-Guy
Bumpyroad wrote:
very strange. perhaps people towed vehicles 4 down that remco said was OK, but the car mfr. didn't and too many law suits developed?????????
bumpy

Doubtful, more likely it's for the exact reason that Remco stayed, "...low demand products..." How many people really want to go through the hassle of disconnecting a drive shaft these days? I think they just made a business decision to focus on other areas of their business.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
LadyRVer wrote:
I heard 2014.... maybe Remco website can tell you?

Remco is out of the RV accessory business and their web site no longer provides any information.

very strange. perhaps people towed vehicles 4 down that remco said was OK, but the car mfr. didn't and too many law suits developed?????????
bumpy

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer wrote:

Remco is out of the RV accessory business and their web site no longer provides any information.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
confirm in the owner's manual that it gives instructions for towing 4 down.
bumpy

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! I'm looking for a CRV to tow and will not now consider anything above a 2014. Again, thanks...
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at Motorhome Magazine's Dinghy Guides for each year, the Honda CRV is listed in 2014 as towable. This car is not listed at all in 2015. So I'll second LadyRVer's answer.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer