Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodge 1999 3500 Lamarie dually

intravino
Explorer
Explorer
Hello again,

I found a dually in my budget that has 120k miles. The engine and transmission are in very good condition.

The problem is that the original owner had a hitch for a fifth wheel anf he did not care of the box, because of that you have four 6 inches of perforated holes.

My question to you is: does this affect the strength of the bed for carrying around a 4000 lbs truck camper?

Thanks for your time,

Intravino
41 REPLIES 41

intravino
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^The gas guzzler tax would have been enough to send me packing. Nothing special enough about the V10 to warrant that.
But on that note, Ford V10s are very good engines and worth considering for a big gasser truck.

Yes, I read that the Ford V10 are more reliable and parts are more available then the Dodge V10. I think that some Class A are still powered by the Ford V10.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^The gas guzzler tax would have been enough to send me packing. Nothing special enough about the V10 to warrant that.
But on that note, Ford V10s are very good engines and worth considering for a big gasser truck.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an example I found today cruising the ads..The truck looks good but 23K for a 2004..Really..

$23,500 · BOISE, ID
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Pickup 4D 6 1/4 ft
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

intravino
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Again for all of your Replies: Grit Dog, Jaycocreek, ticki2, Kayteg1, zcookiemonstar and others.

I think I will let this one pass because of the body condition. I will check for an other one. Plus here with a 8 liters, we have to pay $ 392 more a year for the plate because of a gas guzzler tax. That tax is really high over 7.5 Liters.

Thanks again,

Intravino

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
My final question is: even with a perfect body, is a 3500 2x4 V10 dually of that year worth about $ 10000 CAD or $ 7500 USD ?

The quick answer is yes,atleast around here..For A cherry older truck,there easily asking $7500 or more, even with 2WD..Trucks that age are usually beat up and rusted out,so a cherry,like new truck of that age is going for premo prices..Just saw an old dodge in great shape for 12K with a diesel and 4WD and with 280 K on the speedometer..The young guy had it all chipped out on the engine..I personally would'nt even consider a truck some kid chipped out the engine like he did.But it was a good looking truck..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just a quick look on CL within 200mi of here, and there’s literally dozens of nice looking potential cream puff older duallys. Have to find the person who’s given up on their 20 year old truck being worth $15-20k but such is life.
May even consider the cost of shipping across the border.
If you find the right one around here, there are many knowledgeable members of this forum in this area you may be able to get to check them out for you.
I’d go scope one out for you for 1 quart of good dark maple syrup from back East!!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
FWIW, parts availability both body and mechanical are imo, not an issue for most anything from the last 40+ years. As long as it’s not some defunct pos platform like a K car! Lol.
Until recently, our daily’s were 10+ years old and have a 35 year old truck and a 47 year old jeep and have had little to no issue getting virtually any part needed for any of them.
Am having issues finding the right gas filler hoses for the 86 GMC though. But that’s about it.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
intravino wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^ Well that’s good to hear and appears that you are making a much more informed decision than I had assumed.
If you’re comfortable with the mechanical condition, then that’s the most important part of the equation.
Good luck if you purchase it.

Thanks for your input.

I am not sure If I will buy it because I am perfectionist and I know it is a 20 year truck but I want my truck without rust and perforation. I will use this truck mostly for a truck camper. Like you said previously, I could spend major bucks for the body work and probably later on for the drivetrain. It will be a sunken cost.

My final question is: even with a perfect body, is a 3500 2x4 V10 dually of that year worth about $ 10000 CAD or $ 7500 USD ?

I guess if the engine was a Cummins, then the answer would be YES ?

Thanks Again,

You are correct. Although a V10 perfect shape decent miles would probably bring $5-7k us or so. 2wd kills the price.
Since across the border travel and transactions are somewhere between difficult and impossible, like I suggested earlier, look at the wet side of lower mainland BC. Those will be the “good” trucks in Canada. Just watch out for ex oil field trucks if you’re looking at newer models.

If you’re a perfectionist, then the truck you’re looking at will always be a heap. As soon as you “fix” what you were proposing, rust will pop up elsewhere. You’ll keep chasing it and sinking $ and time into it.
IMO it’s never a winning proposition to repair rust on a daily driver. Only if the entire vehicle is tore down, and /or it becomes a garage queen. Otherwise you’ll keep chasing it. And the mechanical stuff is more of a challenge with everything rusted up on the chassis.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
intravino wrote:

Thanks Again,

I realize the border is closed at the moment but hopefully that will change soon . If you can wait I would . Those prices would be high here even for a pristine truck as you describe . I also found out when I owned a 94 cummins that dealer only parts are no longer made after 10 years and become hard to come by , something to keep in mind . I have been through what you are anticipating several times and can say you have a 50/50 chance of coming out even . Sometimes you have to work with what is available . Good luck with your search .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
You don't want to buy it's truck. I have known a few people with the v10 and they were money pits always had some problem. Also v10 parts can be hard to find or not available at all. Research that v10 on some Dodge truck forums before you buy.

intravino
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^ Well that’s good to hear and appears that you are making a much more informed decision than I had assumed.
If you’re comfortable with the mechanical condition, then that’s the most important part of the equation.

Thanks for your input.

I am not sure If I will buy it because I am perfectionist and I know it is a 20 year truck but I want my truck without rust and perforation. I will use this truck mostly for a truck camper. Like you said previously, I could spend major bucks for the body work and probably later on for the drivetrain. It will be a sunken cost.

Thanks Again,

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

intravino
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
If you are fairly certain the truck is mechanically sound ( you haven’t talked about the important stuff yet, just the cosmetic details, which makes me believe you don’t know what to look for mechanically), then get it for as low of a price as you can.
However, if you’re unable to do the cosmetic work yourself, that truck and your budget/financial situation, dictate that spending almost as much as the truck costs on cosmetics is a bad decision.
Answer more of the important questions first.
Maintenance and repair records? Better be a bunch of them over 20 years.
Condition of trans fluid (and last maint)
Condition and age of brakes?
Unit bearings?
Age and condition of tires?
Etc

You could have a great truck or you could waste $4k on the bodywork and then dump another $4k into maint and repairs. Easy to do if you’re paying for the work to be done.
He!!, we just got a 4 year old truck. 3 actually, in service date Dec 2017. 40% less miles than the truck you’re looking at. Well maintained well cared for and it “didn’t need anything”. And I’ve still spent a few hundred bucks and several hours in the shop doing maint and little repairs.

I do most of mechanics on my cars. I did change my transmission mounts and CV axles on my old 96 mystique last year. I do all of electronics and injectors stuff, I used to sell obd2 readers on the internet for 16 years before Amazon took my business away.

I did not talk about the mechanical stuff because most are ok. I cannot see if the atx was previously changed or serviced and I know the transmission is the weakless link of the drivetrain. Bellow is the mechanical stuff I noticed:

-ATX FLUID is fine, no smells and good color but he has no records.
-Brakes and bearings are fine, were changed last year.
-Two tires are finished, the side walls are cracked.
-No leaks.
-No codes in memory but that could misleading. I didn't have time checking the the sensor live data like Fuel trim, O2 sensors and etc.
-Engine runs great, no white or blue color smoke at the exhaust end.

Nice Ford dually and Lance Jaycocreek.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Check the Dodge bed for cracks around the welds.
I had this MY and rewelding the bed was every season job.

Would that be the infamous Dodge bed on the Ford? Guessing there’s more to that story since the beds don’t just fall apart. But it’s a fun story to tell....

Congratulations on good memory.
Sure there is more to the story.
I bought Dodge bed when it was converted to a trailer.
The idea worked well for me as I put removed UB on the trailer frame and resold it.
But I think Dodge bed ended as trailer due to lot of cracks. Dodge used overtreated sheet metal of the bed and that was cracking around the welds like crazy.
I made my set where heaviest part of TC was resting on strong bumper, otherwise structural integrity would be big worry.