Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Dodge 1999 3500 Lamarie dually
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Dodge 1999 3500 Lamarie dually

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 11:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, I didn’t look at the picture.
2wd makes it worth less, but it could be a solid rig still. Doesn’t look totally rusted out. Cab corners going though?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

intravino

Quebec

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

intravino wrote:

Quote:

If you found a low mile, good condition 20 year old Cummins dually in Quebec, buy it.
95% chance whatever holes you’re trying to describe won’t matter.
100% chance it will be better than 95% of the rest of the old trucks you’ll find up there.
Don’t worry about it.

Unfortunately, it is not a Cummings, it is a gasser V10.

Also, it is not in good condition, the front fender are damaged near the lower part and the cab corners are perforated. I got quoted bettwen $4 and $5 gran for a repair. Too bad, the engine is top notch and the ATX is ok.

99, 2000, doesn't matter, same truck basically. The V10 is a good engine and that combo obviously has enough snort to haul a TC easily.

I presume it's for sale for a very reasonable price. It's not worth fixing rust, holes and body damage though. In great condition, no rust, that truck is worth $10k usd, tops.
If you can get it cheap and it runs well, it sounds like a good camper hauler. If it's more than $8k CDN, I'd pass. Just because it runs well, an owner that doesn't take care of the truck cosmetically, is much less likely to have taken care of it mechanically. And remember, everything you need to repair on the underside will be a rusted mess, stuck bolts, etc.

The guy is selling $ 6500 CAD but very negotiable, I got quote about $ 4000 CAD to fix the replace the front fenders and cab corners plus painting etc. This will be more then $ 10 0000 CAD and the bed will still be rusted.

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/20 12:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OMG NO!..urcrazy!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/20 02:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Check the Dodge bed for cracks around the welds.
I had this MY and rewelding the bed was every season job.

Would that be the infamous Dodge bed on the Ford? Guessing there’s more to that story since the beds don’t just fall apart. But it’s a fun story to tell....

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/20 02:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are fairly certain the truck is mechanically sound ( you haven’t talked about the important stuff yet, just the cosmetic details, which makes me believe you don’t know what to look for mechanically), then get it for as low of a price as you can.
However, if you’re unable to do the cosmetic work yourself, that truck and your budget/financial situation, dictate that spending almost as much as the truck costs on cosmetics is a bad decision.
Answer more of the important questions first.
Maintenance and repair records? Better be a bunch of them over 20 years.
Condition of trans fluid (and last maint)
Condition and age of brakes?
Unit bearings?
Age and condition of tires?
Etc

You could have a great truck or you could waste $4k on the bodywork and then dump another $4k into maint and repairs. Easy to do if you’re paying for the work to be done.
He!!, we just got a 4 year old truck. 3 actually, in service date Dec 2017. 40% less miles than the truck you’re looking at. Well maintained well cared for and it “didn’t need anything”. And I’ve still spent a few hundred bucks and several hours in the shop doing maint and little repairs.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/20 02:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought a low mile old Tahoe last year in great condition. Still put about $1500 in parts/fluids, maintenance etc and it “didn’t need anything”. All diy, materials cost only. And hours working on it.
Be diligent as to what this truck needs to be reliable for the long term and then plan for things unexpected.

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The bed supports on my 2002 f350 drw was rusted when I got it, failed inspection so I found a matching bed from a 2006 f350 drw from Texas and put it on. It wasn't to bad to take the old one off and put the new one on but it was an added expense I had not factored in. Good thing was while I had the bed off I cleaned up the frame and sealed it up, should be good to go for many many years.

I would not haul a TC on it if the bed supports are rusted out.

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing wrong at all about an older dually with a gas motor..I have a 460 in mine and have all the power I need pulling an atv trailer loaded up..As far as 4wd,if you know how to drive in snow and have good tires,you don't need it for the most part..

1994 Ford F350 with the great 460 gas engine..

[image]

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

Check the Dodge bed for cracks around the welds.
I had this MY and rewelding the bed was every season job.

Would that be the infamous Dodge bed on the Ford? Guessing there’s more to that story since the beds don’t just fall apart. But it’s a fun story to tell....

Congratulations on good memory.
Sure there is more to the story.
I bought Dodge bed when it was converted to a trailer.
The idea worked well for me as I put removed UB on the trailer frame and resold it.
But I think Dodge bed ended as trailer due to lot of cracks. Dodge used overtreated sheet metal of the bed and that was cracking around the welds like crazy.
I made my set where heaviest part of TC was resting on strong bumper, otherwise structural integrity would be big worry.

* This post was edited 11/30/20 10:59am by Kayteg1 *

intravino

Quebec

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

If you are fairly certain the truck is mechanically sound ( you haven’t talked about the important stuff yet, just the cosmetic details, which makes me believe you don’t know what to look for mechanically), then get it for as low of a price as you can.
However, if you’re unable to do the cosmetic work yourself, that truck and your budget/financial situation, dictate that spending almost as much as the truck costs on cosmetics is a bad decision.
Answer more of the important questions first.
Maintenance and repair records? Better be a bunch of them over 20 years.
Condition of trans fluid (and last maint)
Condition and age of brakes?
Unit bearings?
Age and condition of tires?
Etc

You could have a great truck or you could waste $4k on the bodywork and then dump another $4k into maint and repairs. Easy to do if you’re paying for the work to be done.
He!!, we just got a 4 year old truck. 3 actually, in service date Dec 2017. 40% less miles than the truck you’re looking at. Well maintained well cared for and it “didn’t need anything”. And I’ve still spent a few hundred bucks and several hours in the shop doing maint and little repairs.

I do most of mechanics on my cars. I did change my transmission mounts and CV axles on my old 96 mystique last year. I do all of electronics and injectors stuff, I used to sell obd2 readers on the internet for 16 years before Amazon took my business away.

I did not talk about the mechanical stuff because most are ok. I cannot see if the atx was previously changed or serviced and I know the transmission is the weakless link of the drivetrain. Bellow is the mechanical stuff I noticed:

-ATX FLUID is fine, no smells and good color but he has no records.
-Brakes and bearings are fine, were changed last year.
-Two tires are finished, the side walls are cracked.
-No leaks.
-No codes in memory but that could misleading. I didn't have time checking the the sensor live data like Fuel trim, O2 sensors and etc.
-Engine runs great, no white or blue color smoke at the exhaust end.

Nice Ford dually and Lance Jaycocreek.

* This post was edited 12/02/20 10:35am by intravino *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Dodge 1999 3500 Lamarie dually
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.