Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Reliable Walkie Talkie?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Reliable Walkie Talkie?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

nomad2013 wrote:

Anybody have recommendations for reliable walkie talkies. I have tried Midland, and now I have Cobra from last year. Not real happy with either. I put new, out of the package, rechargeable batteries and charged them overnight. The next day the battery indicator was dropping with very limited use. Any suggestions?

So far this thread really went away from the actual problem.
I have both Midland and Cobra handhelds that are years old. Batteries seem to last quite a while in mine. Get away from the rechargeable batteries unless you do a good bit of research and buy premium ones.
Quality batteries will make a big difference in the radio's you already have.

X2!

Even if the radio was designed to use a replaceable rechargeable battery pack using Nicads or NIMH batteries there is a voltage difference between those batteries and standard dry cells.

Nicad and NIMH have nominal fully charged voltage of 1.25V-1.35V per cell, dry cells when new will be 1.5V-1.6V per cell..

The impact can be huge depending on voltage..

For instance a 9V dry cell will be 9V or a bit higher when new, a "9V" rechargable replacement Nicad/NIMH will start out at 7.2V! which is barely above dead for a dry cell version.

If your radios accept dry cells, use them, they will work longer..

I have a couple of cobra family radio units along with my Ham radios (we used the family radios when traveling with family that does not have a Ham license), The Cobras had a replaceable rechargeable pack, when removed dry cells can be fitted in.. The dry cells lasted much longer than the rechargeable pack.

And for Drycells, I used to use the "copper top" ones, I cannot recommend them any more, they have become expensive junk, the old basica "Rayovacs" lasted longer and never burst like these new "copper tops".. lately have had a lot of cleaning to do with remote controls that had "copper tops" burst in them [emoticon]

Right now, I have been having better results with Energizers..

As far as transiting distance with Family radios, not much you can do legally to increase distance. They are in the UHF frequencies which is a "line of sight" transmission (doesn't bend much with terrain) and they are intentionally power limited and antenna limited.

For more distance, you need more transmitting power and better antennas, something that is not allowed on those frequencies and in that case, a Ham license definitely will be the way to go.. Ham license opens up the world to you to not only UHF but VHF and higher power and antenna gain with the Ham frequencies. VHF will get you more distance with less power but will use a longer antenna. UHF gives you compact radios and antennas with a reduction in power and distance.

Yes, name brand Ham stuff can get pricey, but there is a lot of low cost import radios now days that are pretty affordable (Baofeng ect).

AMAZON SEARCH

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The rechargables are a pain.The AA or AAA last longer. You just need to turn them off when not using them.

What sort of range are you looking for? We use them for parking. The spotter talks. The driver listens. Maybe if one of us is going wandering around the CG. Sometimes use them in a big box store. Saves hunting each other down.

Knowing the limitations of the radios helps. Both of us are ham radio operators however there is little point in having something expensive with a range in miles when a 1/4 or 1/2 mile will do.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

Knowing the limitations of the radios helps. Both of us are ham radio operators however there is little point in having something expensive with a range in miles when a 1/4 or 1/2 mile will do.

Did you know that it IS possible to shout and be heard without a radio and easily exceed that measly 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile distance of a Family radio provided you are not in a noisy area or in a vehicle to vehicle situation?

HERE

Yep, seems that the math folks figure 1 km - 2km which is .6 mile-1.2 miles..

Family radios are not much more than kids toys and as such don't put your lives in the balance with them.

You want better distance and much better operation time then you need to move away from the kiddy toys..

houstonstroker

Houston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/20 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would buy two of the Wouxun KG-805G hand held radios. The license is $70 for ten years no test. The newer Midland mobil units are nice also. I have the 40 watt version in my motorhome and the 15 watt radio in my jeep.

2016 Dynamax Force HD Super C

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cellphones

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Cellphones

not in places we often travel to or camp. About all the cell phone is good for is a flashlight.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/20 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a couple of Midland GMRS/FRS radios. We have a couple more somewhere.
The reed switches are cra3p on all of them. Easily damaged with a bit of thumb pressure.
Range is supposedly about 35 miles, with lots of disclaimers. Wife and I tried for range in Indiana. There might have been a few buildings somewhere in the way. A little over a mile was it. In the woods etc don't expect but hundreds of feet, probably.
Considering for a long time 2 meter radios.So much Information/Misinformation is out there.
Prices in a couple of shops over from over $600.00 to over $1,000.00 for Motorolas and some others. Power is limited by small batteries and antennas and frequencies. A better model with larger battery on belt etc is available but cumbersome.VHS is allowed in Canada why not here instead of reserved for marine use? It would be a lot cheaper.
I will spend a couple hundred maybe three hundred for two radios...with range..and reliability if I could identify them.
There surely is someone here with experience not afraid to warranty, so to speak his recommendations. Licenses are not a problem

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

We have a couple of Midland GMRS/FRS radios. We have a couple more somewhere.
The reed switches are cra3p on all of them. Easily damaged with a bit of thumb pressure.
Range is supposedly about 35 miles, with lots of disclaimers. Wife and I tried for range in Indiana. There might have been a few buildings somewhere in the way. A little over a mile was it. In the woods etc don't expect but hundreds of feet, probably.
Considering for a long time 2 meter radios.So much Information/Misinformation is out there.
Prices in a couple of shops over from over $600.00 to over $1,000.00 for Motorolas and some others. Power is limited by small batteries and antennas and frequencies. A better model with larger battery on belt etc is available but cumbersome.VHS is allowed in Canada why not here instead of reserved for marine use? It would be a lot cheaper.
I will spend a couple hundred maybe three hundred for two radios...with range..and reliability if I could identify them.
There surely is someone here with experience not afraid to warranty, so to speak his recommendations. Licenses are not a problem

You do not "need" Motorolas..

You do not need to spend $600-$1000, not sure what shops you are talking about but if you are looking at commercial radio shops, yeah they beat you over the head for their commercial radios.

In the US, VHF covers a considerable range of frequencies that are broken into segments.

Aeronatical is 117-137 Mhz, a sliver between for meteorologic stuff, Ham is 144-148 mhz, 149-150 radio navigation, 153-174 old analog Police/fire Marine, business Band (this is where a business would use) with a cut out for NOAA at 162 mhz broadcasts.

So, in reality, you COULD apply for a VHF BUSINESS Band frequency and use a VHF handy talky like a Baofeng and you CAN get those dirt cheap now days if you wanted to go that route although seems to me that you have a bigger world if you simply get a No Code Tech Ham license.

8W VHF/UHF Baofeng HERE for $55

SIX PACK OF 4W/1W Baofeng VHF/UHF HERE for $115 ($20 EACH!!!)

Veebyes

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course you could always get a couple of basic marine radios, pick some obscure channel that nobody uses & go at it that way. Range is going to be basically line of sight, the same as ham 2M or the commercial VHF band radios.

Veebyes

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Double post. SRI.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Reliable Walkie Talkie?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.