cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

600kbps = unuseable

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Just for kicks, I used up all my Verizon 4g data and let it go to "reduced speed", at what they claim is 600kbps.

With the hotspot, it's almost unusable at that speed. I couldn't run a speed test. I couldn't access my mail. Facebook? Forget about it. Any site with pictures or 10 second video ads? No. It's so bad I could barely use the Verizon app on my phone to buy more data or change my plan, which is something I think they'd make an exception for.

The only thing that actually worked was this board, which isn't graphics-heavy.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman
10 REPLIES 10

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
I'm still evaluating Verizon's Visible on my iPhone, which has no set data allowance limits on 4G LTE. Getting 140Mbps down.
140? My service is restored, and I'm getting 20 on 4g. Are you sure about that number?

I'm surprised you even got that speed? Most would fall back to near dial-up. IMO, mobile providers do this on purpose to frustrate you into upgrading your 4G data allowance? Even though, they could provide much faster fall back speeds without impacting their networks.

I'm still evaluating Verizon's Visible on my iPhone, which has no set data allowance limits on 4G LTE. Getting 140Mbps down. Though primarily use my iPhone as a backup to another 4G LTE router from another provider, and for when traveling to remote work into to my workstation at the office.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Are you in a good area with good cell coverage? There's no reason it shouldn't
4-5 bars. Excellent. Perhaps it works better in metro areas. I'm out in the sticks.

Out in West Texas Beyond BFE right now and no issues. Over the last couple months, did lots of remote areas in Utah, So Cal & Arizona.

While slower once over 10gig, it was still quite usable.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
we have two motorola 4g phones, both on verizon, I am working on band 4 with one at a speed of 1.2 mbps down
the other is connecting to the same tower, but on band 66 at 3.1mbps.
the first was a moto E6, the second a Moto G7 power.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
It also depends on the model of your hotspot, 3G, 4G and evenwithin those , what band? .
All I can find is channel 5. It's a 4g phone.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
It also depends on the model of your hotspot, 3G, 4G and evenwithin those , what band? Newer higher number bands, if available in an area may have much lower congestion because fewer phones or devices are capable of connecting to them.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
4-5 bars. Excellent. Perhaps it works better in metro areas. I'm out in the sticks.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's noticeably slower but far from useable.

We watch youtube regularly with no issues (it dials back to 360p automatically).

Do work calls all the time with no issues.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
And that's how the cell phone companies can claim they offer "unlimited" data because technically they do. It's just unusable for the most part.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Text only web site

And many more if you search for them