Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Converter Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Converter Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 04:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not sure I do not see a 30 amp fuse or a breaker for CONV on that panel. It appears that panel is just power distribution (They Call it control) I could easily find the converter eyes on but I'm in Davison MI near flint) not where you are. and How to tell you to find it. Well I'm not that good.

basically look around for any electrical boxes anywhere on the unit under beds, under fridge, in basement wherever and post your findings. the box will have both 12 and 120 volt wiring.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

iski4fun

Carson City, NV

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where's the converter? The red wire from the B connection, above the fuses, goes out the back of the control center and exits through the floor. This is why I asked if the rig even has a converter, and also the interior lights (12v) do not work when plugged into 120 with the batteries disconnected. It seems strange that it's so hidden...and it wouldn't be outside of the rig, correct? I guess I need to follow that red wire that goes through a hole in the floor.
[image]

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The function of a charger is to charge and maintain the battery and wire loss is also a factor. The charger therefore should be close to the batteries or be connected with larger wire.

In your case the charger could be located elsewhere in the rig. Your red wire looks rather small and perhaps long and would therefore not allow much more than a trickle charge.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You would have to go back to early 1970s, possibly 1960s to find trailers that did not have a"converter/charger"..

Time to do a deep search following the wiring up to the tongue.

You most certainly should have a converter unless a previous owner removed it.

Is one of the breakers marked converter?

If so, find EVERY outlet on that circuit breaker, that converter will be plugged into one of the outlets on that circuit..

Do you have any storage compartments up front near the battery?

If so, converter might be there..

Have a front passthrough storage compartment?

Converter might be in there..

Have dinette seats?

Look UNDER the dinette seats, converter may be there..

Look under your kitchen cabinets, might be under there..

On the outside, check the tongue for extra connections from the battery, there often is a little silver box with two terminal studs, that is a circuit breaker for safety.

Looks like this..

[image]

Circuit breaker often is used for a place to add extra wires like converter or tongue jack and they only run one wire to the battery. Then trace the wires from the breaker..

You are going to have to look at every nook and cranny in all of the lower base cabinets, under beds, under the stove, under the fridge, every single outside accessible storage area.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 03:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would not be outside.

Gdetrailer gave you some good places to look. He is correct that some manufacturers use the circuit breaker he illustrated as a convenient terminal block.

Start at the positive battery terminal and work your way back, following each wire. You should find that breaker. Follow any wires connected to it. Your emergency brake switch would be in this path as well.

There is a good chance a previous owner removed it. The electrical tape wrapped on the bundle in your last pic doesn't look factory installed

Look at the bright side, you're learning a lot about your trailer [emoticon]

* This post was edited 11/24/20 03:49am by 2112 *

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 04:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

The function of a charger is to charge and maintain the battery and wire loss is also a factor. The charger therefore should be close to the batteries or be connected with larger wire.

On this CA we agree it should be as close to the batteries as possible (But not in the same air space)

On My coach it was dang near as far away as possible (To be farther it would have had to be inside the "House" part and not in the basement) Batteries were right, near front, under steps.. path went through battery control center FRONT over (in front of firewall) Converter Driver's side rear wall of rear most compartment .... What were thy stinking? I don't know. but for sure not thinking

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/20 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would test the converter out put first to see if it is working or you just have a bad battery. What is the voltage reading across the pos and neg terminals of the battery when it is plugged in? What is the reading when the TT is unplugged taken the next day? In your photo take a reading from the large red wire to ground to ground while TT is plugged in. If you report back with these voltage readings you can help you determine if there is something wrong with your converter or your battery. The old Magnatec converters are very simple constant chargers and last a long time.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the mean time..

Until you figure out if you have a converter or if it is fixable you can add another one on, will not hurt things as it is right now since it is obvious that your battery is not getting any charging voltage..

Found a good deal on a deck mounted Iota 30A 12V converter in the electronic surplus stores.. for $39.95!

HERE

[image]

These are being sold as used because they are "pulls" from equipment that was not sold and the power cord has been cut and modified (you will need to add a plug).

These converters do not include the IQ-4 smart controller which turn it into a multistage charger. Without the IQ-4 it is set at a fixed 13.6 voltage.

New 30A converters will set you back well over $100..

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW that IOTA is a deal. I grabbed 1 to replace my WFCO junk. 30A is all I need.

The IQ4 upgrade is $20 on Amazon

Thanks for sharing

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

WOW that IOTA is a deal. I grabbed 1 to replace my WFCO junk. 30A is all I need.

The IQ4 upgrade is $20 on Amazon

Thanks for sharing

There was an Iota about 12 years ago ( ISTR it was in Jaycos) that did not have the jack hole (whatever that is called) for the IQ4 (which used/uses the same jack hole for the booster jack they had.)

So be sure this one has the place to plug in the jack if you want an IQ4 to go with it. They have a new range of IQ4s now, for different charging profiles you can choose from.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Converter Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.