Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Tow Vehicle Rear End Sag
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tow Vehicle Rear End Sag

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/20 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

kellem wrote:

Nope, while the spring bars on a formidable WDH returns weight to the front, it also mitigates rear sag.....airbags shouldn't be a necessity but rather heavier spring/trunnion bars.

So you just keep adding weight distribution till the rear comes up to where it started? Yeah, Right.

Yeah, it's called weight distribution.
4 trailers and each rode level and each application absorbed the tounge weight perfectly.
What's the purpose of investing in a WDH that sags?

Here is what my owners manual says:

When hooking-up a trailer using a weight-distributing hitch, always use the following procedure:
1.Park the loaded vehicle, without the trailer, on a level surface.
2.Measure the height to the top of your vehicle's front wheel opening on the fender. This is H1.
3.Attach the loaded trailer to your vehicle without the weight-distributing bars connected.
4.Measure the height to the top of your vehicle's front wheel opening on the fender a second time. This is H2.
5.Install and adjust the tension in the weight-distributing bars so that the height of your vehicle's front wheel opening on the fender is approximately halfway between H1 and H2.
6.Check that the trailer is level or slightly nose down toward your vehicle. If not,adjust the ball height accordingly and repeat Steps 2-6.

Now I guess you recommend ignoring your owners manual and continue to crank up the weight distribution till traction is severely reduced. Giving advice is fine, just don't tell people to do things that are dangerous and opposite of the manufacturers instructions.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, I'm only eliminating the need for airbags on a bumper pull trailer.

My Reese DC is setup properly with the proper trunnion bars to match tounge weight.

I can also use my headlights at night without illuminating the clouds, truck and trailer sit level without compromising safe handling.

That said, I do pull a 7300 lb trailer with a 3/4 ton truck.

I've mounted this WDH onto 4 different trailers and upgraded trunnion bars twice ,adjusted per spec and always end up extremely close to level, truck and trailer.

Wish you and your family safe towing.

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Boomerweps wrote:

For MY hitch, the top of the hitch ball is supposed to be one inch above the inside top of the coupler when the trailer is level and no load on/in the truck.

That is a starting point, your truck might sag considerably or hardly at all. The OP needs to set up his hitch to return the front to the correct level, then if the rear is way too low, only more spring will help. Air bags are one kind of spring.

My statement was a reply to setting them the same height before connecting & adjusting the WDH.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

donut dave

Burnett WI

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

start by lowering the ball. then reposition you weight distributing hitch according to hitch requirements. then you should be fine.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tow Vehicle Rear End Sag
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.