Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How important is tire size to your selection?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> How important is tire size to your selection?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some motorhomes have 22.5 tires while others have 19.5. The style, meaning price point is the same. But as I said they have different size tires. How important is that in the big selection process?

FunTwoDrv

NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 22.5's are typically on the higher GVWR chassis... An increase CCC is not unusual and perhaps a bit better handling as well.

Gary

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure I understand when you say the style and price point is the same. Typically entry level units on lighter chassis have the 19.5's. As you get a little bigger and a little higher up the food chain you'll see 22.5. Technically/functionally they provide greater capacity. As a bonus they seem to have better road manners than the 19.5's.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It was between the Coachmen Mirada and Entegra Vision XL. The Vision XL is the 22.5.

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would never consider the 19.5s, they won't handle the weight capacity for a true Class A.

Bll

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/20 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trackrig wrote:

I would never consider the 19.5s, they won't handle the weight capacity for a true Class A.

Bll

The Ford F53 chassis was only built for one purpose - "true Class A motorhomes", and for YEARS the 19.5 was the only tire size offered. [emoticon]

As to the OPs question, bigger is always better.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

Some motorhomes have 22.5 tires while others have 19.5. The style, meaning price point is the same. But as I said they have different size tires. How important is that in the big selection process?

As others have hinted at, it depends on how important the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) and the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) are to you, as well as the purchase price. In general, similar vehicles with larger wheels/tires will cost more money and have higher weight ratings. See the specifications for each chassis to confirm BEFORE YOU BUY. Google "GVWR" and "GCWR" for exact definitions. IMO, these ratings are some of the more important criteria in your prepurchase selection process.

Chum lee

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

I've never seen a motorhome that didn't have adequate wheels and tires for the chassis it was on. Thing to watch out for is CCC and GCWR, which many fail in miserably and for a number of reasons.
Axles capacity for one and most importantly for the latter, the transmission.
Having said all that, the larger wheels could very well account for more CCC and GVWR. Apples to Apples, I'd go with the 22.5's.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

Trackrig wrote:

Bll

The Ford F53 chassis was only built for one purpose - "true Class A motorhomes", and for YEARS the 19.5 was the only tire size offered. [emoticon]

As to the OPs question, bigger is always better.

yep, my three motorhomes were Class A and all on 19.5s. when I was interested in moving to 22s I priced the out and there was as large differential, don't know where the price points were the same.
bumpy

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I’m reading you right, the 22 is better and holds more weight. But the 19 has been around a long time and does fine if additional weight isn’t a factor?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> How important is tire size to your selection?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.