Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How important is tire size to your selection?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> How important is tire size to your selection?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

If I’m reading you right, the 22 is better and holds more weight. But the 19 has been around a long time and does fine if additional weight isn’t a factor?

I think you have to go back to the old chevy P-30/32 chassis to get to units that had too much weight on the front tires/end. I remember some of the write ups the units were overloaded if there was a passenger in the front passenger seat. don't remember if that was a tire or chassis issue however.

great engineering, put in a puny front end, put two chassis batteries about as far forward as possible, and stick some balloons in the springs to take the weight.
bumpy

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/20 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

It was between the Coachmen Mirada and Entegra Vision XL. The Vision XL is the 22.5.

the tire size would not even enter imto our thought process. far more important would be floor plan, front and rear axle empty and max weight limits, tow capacity, options, etc.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

If I’m reading you right, the 22 is better and holds more weight. But the 19 has been around a long time and does fine if additional weight isn’t a factor?

This is true and for example, our old coach was well under weight for the 19.5" tires. It had a tag axle for an additional 4500 lbs. but only because it was 36ft long and on a GM P32 chassis. At the same time, pulling our Jeep put an extra ton of overload on it and only because of the GM 4L80E transmission. No problem however, except for long 6% grades in the heat of summer.

Now with our present coach and 22.5 tires, the rear is at max GVWR when loaded for travel, but because of the axle, not the tires. Still a ton to the good on the front. As for GCWR, we can pull 15K lbs and stay within specs. and just as long as it's not a trailer with hitch weight to contend with and even though the hitch rating is 1500lbs.

Many don't check any of this out before purchase and concentrate on the fireplace and big TV. Fact is and if I'm looking to buy a DP, I first look in the rear for a side radiator, while most head for the entry door for checking out said TV and fireplace. But then, that's for another topic.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

Trackrig wrote:

I would never consider the 19.5s, they won't handle the weight capacity for a true Class A.

Bll

The Ford F53 chassis was only built for one purpose - "true Class A motorhomes", and for YEARS the 19.5 was the only tire size offered. [emoticon]

As to the OPs question, bigger is always better.

And from 1986 to 1997 Ford F53 chassis had 16" tires.
Silly me, I always though my 95 Bounder was a true class A.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

Mondooker wrote:

I think you have to go back to the old chevy P-30/32 chassis to get to units that had too much weight on the front tires/end. I remember some of the write ups the units were overloaded if there was a passenger in the front passenger seat. don't remember if that was a tire or chassis issue however.

great engineering, put in a puny front end, put two chassis batteries about as far forward as possible, and stick some balloons in the springs to take the weight.
bumpy

Here's the issue for me. For example: My current Class A (a 1999 30' on a Ford F-53 chassis) has 19.5" tires/wheels and an 18,000 GVWR. It weighs under 16,000 lbs. fully loaded, fueled, and, watered, so, I have over 2,000 lbs. discretionary payload. That year, you could buy the same motorhome on a Chevy P-XX chassis that has a GVWR of 15,400 lbs. It had 16.5" wheels/tires. If I had my same motorhome on the Chevy chassis, I would be over maximum gross weight with NO discretionary payload. In my travels, I found the exact same motorhome as mine but on the Chevy chassis. IMO, it looked kind of silly with the smaller wheels/tires and the front suspension looked SEVERELY overloaded. (kind of like a big dog with two broken front legs) The current owner told me the front suspension/tires were always a problem as was the front axle overloading condition.

Larger wheels also allow the use of larger brake rotors and higher ground clearance. (a good thing in a MH)

Chum lee

Tal/IL

Central Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/20 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks like the GVWR/CGVWR are the same at 22,000/26,000 on the Mirada and the Vision XL. We had a 2010 Mirada 35DS with the same ratings for 5 seasons. We weighed right at 20,000 travel ready. It was on 19.5's and we never had an issue.

35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tropical36 wrote:

Many don't check any of this out before purchase and concentrate on the fireplace and big TV. Fact is and if I'm looking to buy a DP, I first look in the rear for a side radiator, while most head for the entry door for checking out said TV and fireplace. But then, that's for another topic.

while the salesman makes a mad dash for the button to demonstrate the electric awning with the LED lights. [emoticon]
bumpy

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/20 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

It was between the Coachmen Mirada and Entegra Vision XL. The Vision XL is the 22.5.

Georgetowns have had them for years mine 2007 which was started build date was 2006. It rides very well but will need new shocks soon at 55,000 miles.

Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

tropical36 wrote:

while the salesman makes a mad dash for the button to demonstrate the electric awning with the LED lights. [emoticon]
bumpy

There ya go and about the extent of what their knowledge is of the machine itself. Just try asking them some real questions and see what you get.
Makes no never mind really and with one needing to know everything about what they want, before seriously shopping around. For instance made a phone offer with contingencies on our last one, after deciding on what we wanted. Still missed the part of where that extra ton of CCC was and assuming it was overall. Shame on me, but not a problem as we always tow four down anyway.

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is tire cost. There is a significant cost difference between 19.5"s and 22"s when the time comes (every 5 years). Yes, the 22"s carry more weight and typically will ride a bit better, but if the rig's GVWR can accommodate 19.5"s, I don't see a huge downside. I can also change a 19.5" flat on my own (although I certainly won't "enjoy" it); not sure I could do the same with 22"s.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> How important is tire size to your selection?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.