Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How important is tire size to your selection?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> How important is tire size to your selection?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is tire cost. There is a significant cost difference between 19.5"s and 22.5"s when the time comes (every 5 years). Yes, the 22.5"s carry more weight and typically will ride a bit better, but if the rig's GVWR can accommodate 19.5"s, I don't see a huge downside. I can also change a 19.5" flat on my own (although I certainly won't "enjoy" it); not sure I could do the same with 22"s.

Yes. The OP seems to be oblivious to that. IMO, they are comparing the purchase price of one used vehicle to another. (not the long term operating costs of either) Surprise, surprise, surprise . . . .

Chum lee

* This post was last edited 11/24/20 05:29pm by Chum lee *   View edit history

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/20 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is tire cost. There is a significant cost difference between 19.5"s and 22"s when the time comes (every 5 years). Yes, the 22"s carry more weight and typically will ride a bit better, but if the rig's GVWR can accommodate 19.5"s, I don't see a huge downside. I can also change a 19.5" flat on my own (although I certainly won't "enjoy" it); not sure I could do the same with 22"s.

more like 7-yrs for us. we estimate the cost of a new set of 6-tires adjusted for inflation in 7-years and the divide that amount by 84 and set aside the result in dollars out of our monthly budget. if we want $5000 for new tires we would set aside $60 each month. painless.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Chum lee, I'm not sure where you got the idea I was talking about a used coach? I'm looking for new.

My question was is there a reason to specifically look at a coach with 22.5 tires over a coach having 19.5 tires? T

he answer is NO... If you don't need the additional weight, then the tried and true 19'5's work just fine. The 22.5 tires/chassis may give a little better ride, but not to the point to make a selection on it?

Have I gone off the rails on what you good folks have said?

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

Hi Chum lee, I'm not sure where you got the idea I was talking about a used coach? I'm looking for new.

My question was is there a reason to specifically look at a coach with 22.5 tires over a coach having 19.5 tires? T

he answer is NO... If you don't need the additional weight, then the tried and true 19'5's work just fine. The 22.5 tires/chassis may give a little better ride, but not to the point to make a selection on it?

Are the two coaches about the same price wise?
Just wondering why the one is equipped with larger wheels.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

Thanks for the reply. In NO WAY am I suggesting that you buy a used coach. If you can afford a new one, that's fantastic. My goal in this post is that you buy the best vehicle for you. I am a (really good) sales person, (well. . . .now retired) and I'm trying to help you through the process. (of buying)

Chum lee

Blaster Man

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the coach you want, the appropriate tires will be on it. If you want 22.5s that means you'll get a larger coach than one with 19.5s.

2014 American Eagle

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

You have not gone off the rails your conclusion is correct. One would be hard pressed to tell the difference in ride quality between the two tire sizes on the exact same vehicle. There are a lot of other factors that contribute to ride quality. Get the MH you like the best.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> How important is tire size to your selection?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.