cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TT to HTT

Stebon
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone! I'm curious if anyone has ever gone from a TT to a HTT and want to know your thoughts. Here's my short-version scenario:

After spending lots of years in a large TT with our three kids, we sold it a while back because our kids were at an age where we just didn't have time to use it. Now our two oldest are in college and our youngest, a middle schooler, wants really badly to go camping. And DW and I miss it terribly. The long term plan has always been to get back into it when our youngest goes off to college, with a rig built for two. But that's not for another 6 years. And we're not in the position to spend lots of money on a new rig/storage/insurance, etc.

My suggestion was a used pop up (I grew up in one) but DW says it has to have a potty and place to change clothes. So I started looking at used HTT's that wouldn't break the bank and that I could park in my driveway.

Then I read on here about people who made the switch to TT's and the things they wouldn't miss about their HTT (noise, leaks, maintenance, etc) so it got me thinking there must be people with experience in this area.

Anyone want to share their stories of HTT's or maybe even differences of opinions on them vs. TT's? Not sure if I'm just dreaming at this point, but I've got a serious itch to get back outside among the trees, campfires, and the good people who love nature like I do.

Thanks for all your comments!!
2017 Ford F-150 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
2007 Rockwood 8318SS
1 beautiful wife, 3 camping kids, 1 camping shih-tzu
16 REPLIES 16

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
We're in our 2nd hybrid. First was an '03, and now the 2013. Both purchased new. We've loved them. For us there really have been no downsides. But I also realize that they aren't for everyone.

We don't plan on replacing the 2013 for at least another few years, but when we do it will be a hard side trailer. For the sole reason that as we're getting older climbing in and out of the bed is getting a lot harder. Something to consider.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a tiny popup to a large popup, then to an Starcraft 21SSO HTT and now to a fifth wheel. The hybrid we heavily used for 10 years and loved it. Lots of room inside.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I did the pup to htt to tt and back to pups once PA opened up motorized camping in State Forest. Game changer. Off grid with a pup. On my third pup already. Jayco Select 12HW.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Stebon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the thoughts and opinions! Looking forward top getting back in the groove soon ๐Ÿ™‚
2007 Rockwood 8318SS

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Stebon wrote:
Hey everyone! I'm curious if anyone has ever gone from a TT to a HTT and want to know your thoughts. Here's my short-version scenario:

After spending lots of years in a large TT with our three kids, we sold it a while back because our kids were at an age where we just didn't have time to use it. Now our two oldest are in college and our youngest, a middle schooler, wants really badly to go camping. And DW and I miss it terribly. The long term plan has always been to get back into it when our youngest goes off to college, with a rig built for two. But that's not for another 6 years. And we're not in the position to spend lots of money on a new rig/storage/insurance, etc.

My suggestion was a used pop up (I grew up in one) but DW says it has to have a potty and place to change clothes. So I started looking at used HTT's that wouldn't break the bank and that I could park in my driveway.

Then I read on here about people who made the switch to TT's and the things they wouldn't miss about their HTT (noise, leaks, maintenance, etc) so it got me thinking there must be people with experience in this area.

Anyone want to share their stories of HTT's or maybe even differences of opinions on them vs. TT's? Not sure if I'm just dreaming at this point, but I've got a serious itch to get back outside among the trees, campfires, and the good people who love nature like I do.

Thanks for all your comments!!

As mentioned, You can close them up in bad weather or maybe for noise issues. Sometimes the unexpected happens, thats where we miss the hard side.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I played the progression game to, Tent - P'up - Hybrid - trailer.

We spent 12 years in a Starcraft Travel star 21SSO and had an absolute blast with the kids and dog.
Big slide, lots of room and trailer weighed 4900 lbs loaded.

We never had an issue that jumps out and being an outdoorsy family, can't speak of being hot inside because we were always outside.
If you decide on hybrid, get the cables on the bed ends.

Fast forward:
Kids are gone, I'm retired, wife semi retired and she wanted a TT.
It's bigger, longer and everything is push button but you'll still find us outside hiking, kayaking or sit'n around the fireplace.

Hope you enjoy whatever trailer you decide.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
GaryUT wrote:

If I was looking for a small trailer I would look at one with a rear slide. Same benefit as a hybrid without the downsides.

Gary

there's no hard-sided rear bed slideout TT that has 2 or 3 queen beds, like a hybrid does. Only one queen/king and maybe a sofa bed/dinette.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

GaryUT
Explorer II
Explorer II
We started out in a hybrid. Had it for 13 seasons. Traveled all over the west and into Canada.

In 2019 we went to a small fifth wheel. Sometimes I miss the hybrid, it fit in the back yard, the fifth wheel has to be stored in a storage lot. We boon-dock most of the time, took the hybrid places I wouldn't dare take the fifth wheel.

What I don't miss it is packing up in the rain and having to open the tent ends up when we got home to let them dry. Setup and tear down obviously took a lot longer with the hybrid. The front bunk would leak when towing in the rain, I finally started putting tape in the lower corners to stop it from leaking while traveling.

If I was looking for a small trailer I would look at one with a rear slide. Same benefit as a hybrid without the downsides.

Gary
2019 Keystone Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 Crew cab short bed

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Stebon wrote:
Thanks soon2bexpat - I feel like I'd enjoy the open feeling of the tent ends. And right valhalla, I was pulling close to 9K with the truck so it's not that. Really the space thing is the biggest issue. If I keep it at home I need something short. My driveway ends in an alley with a brick wall opposite my house and I've got a gate besides. A HTT will give me considerably more space inside while keeping it short enough to maneuver into my driveway. Going from a 33' with two slide outs, I'm not sure we're ready for a 20-ish foot TT...

For us, we are just a step or two away from "outside" and can always open the windows to get more of an outside feel while inside.

If you are down a couple kids, something in the 25-27ft range will be a good deal smaller than 33ft but should feel more spacious with fewer people (you will have to dig around and find a good layout for your specific needs).

But if you really like the tent idea, go for it. No harm, no foul.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Usage and preference are the keys here - and that is different from one to another. We started in a hybrid for 2 seasons and then moved on to our TT that we've had for 8 years now. For us, we couldn't go back. We weren't personally looking for the 'camping' experience, DW hated having to climb off the edge of the bed, dealing with wet canvas was an annoyance, and we wanted the easier set-up and breakdown of a box trailer. Having a sufficient tow vehicle is more complicated, but it was a trade-off we were willing to make.

For those who want the closer experience with nature, the priorities would be entirely different.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
We did the typical progression of popup, hybrid and TT and next year a 5th wheel.
We only left the Hybrid world because our camping style changed. We retired and wanted to take 3 month long trips south, during late winter/early spring. A hybrid is not the best choice for this.
We definitely miss the openness of a hybrid and its versatility but we'll never go back to a hybrid because it doesn't fit our current lifestyle.
The DW prefers the theater recliners and walk-around bed.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have owned a TC, pop-up, TT, HTT and now back to a TT.
A hybrid can be light and easy to pull with lots of room. You can turtle in it in bad weather.
But they have some disadvantages. They are hot in summer, cold in winter and loud all the time. The space blanket material on the pop-out ends helps somewhat.

There are those nights when the cooling breeze flows through the rig with the canvas open that are really memorable. When boondocking you can hear the critters like bugling elk much easier. But it was the heat that finally convinced me to go back to a travel trailer.

Now I have a Rockwood and it is a class rig. Much warmer at night in the mountains, the shoulder season and in winter.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
17 years in a tent trailer, 5 years in a hybrid and now 11 years in our current trailer. When it comes to "camping" the hybrid can't be beat, in my opinion. You are outside, under the canvas with plenty of fresh air to breath and good beds to sleep on and a bathroom with a shower. We loved our hybrid but.....

As we neared retirement we knew we would be hitting the road for far off places. We did take the hybrid on long trips but those were spent at campgrounds for a couple of days, or more, at a time before moving on. We also camped mainly in the summer to accommodate the kid's school year. It worked really well.

Going camping and traveling are two different things. We have over 50K miles on our current trailer. We can go out in the cold early spring and the cold and rainy fall. While on the road for hours at a time we can stop somewhere to have lunch, use the bathroom and be on our way in the matter of just minutes. No need to avoid the cold and no requirement to set up the tent ends and store them away when wet as we are moving to our next destination.

If, you are planning on camping with your son, a hybrid would be perfect. Again, we loved ours and never regretted owning one. Your plan to get a used one, use it for a few years and then maybe get something different is a good one. Best wishes.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Stebon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks soon2bexpat - I feel like I'd enjoy the open feeling of the tent ends. And right valhalla, I was pulling close to 9K with the truck so it's not that. Really the space thing is the biggest issue. If I keep it at home I need something short. My driveway ends in an alley with a brick wall opposite my house and I've got a gate besides. A HTT will give me considerably more space inside while keeping it short enough to maneuver into my driveway. Going from a 33' with two slide outs, I'm not sure we're ready for a 20-ish foot TT...
2007 Rockwood 8318SS