Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Hybrid Travel Trailers: TT to HTT
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/20 02:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GaryUT wrote:

If I was looking for a small trailer I would look at one with a rear slide. Same benefit as a hybrid without the downsides.

Gary

there's no hard-sided rear bed slideout TT that has 2 or 3 queen beds, like a hybrid does. Only one queen/king and maybe a sofa bed/dinette.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/20 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wife and I played the progression game to, Tent - P'up - Hybrid - trailer.

We spent 12 years in a Starcraft Travel star 21SSO and had an absolute blast with the kids and dog.
Big slide, lots of room and trailer weighed 4900 lbs loaded.

We never had an issue that jumps out and being an outdoorsy family, can't speak of being hot inside because we were always outside.
If you decide on hybrid, get the cables on the bed ends.

Fast forward:
Kids are gone, I'm retired, wife semi retired and she wanted a TT.
It's bigger, longer and everything is push button but you'll still find us outside hiking, kayaking or sit'n around the fireplace.

Hope you enjoy whatever trailer you decide.

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/20 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stebon wrote:

Hey everyone! I'm curious if anyone has ever gone from a TT to a HTT and want to know your thoughts. Here's my short-version scenario:

After spending lots of years in a large TT with our three kids, we sold it a while back because our kids were at an age where we just didn't have time to use it. Now our two oldest are in college and our youngest, a middle schooler, wants really badly to go camping. And DW and I miss it terribly. The long term plan has always been to get back into it when our youngest goes off to college, with a rig built for two. But that's not for another 6 years. And we're not in the position to spend lots of money on a new rig/storage/insurance, etc.

My suggestion was a used pop up (I grew up in one) but DW says it has to have a potty and place to change clothes. So I started looking at used HTT's that wouldn't break the bank and that I could park in my driveway.

Then I read on here about people who made the switch to TT's and the things they wouldn't miss about their HTT (noise, leaks, maintenance, etc) so it got me thinking there must be people with experience in this area.

Anyone want to share their stories of HTT's or maybe even differences of opinions on them vs. TT's? Not sure if I'm just dreaming at this point, but I've got a serious itch to get back outside among the trees, campfires, and the good people who love nature like I do.

Thanks for all your comments!!

As mentioned, You can close them up in bad weather or maybe for noise issues. Sometimes the unexpected happens, thats where we miss the hard side.

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 210K"

Where we have camped

Stebon

North Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/20 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and opinions! Looking forward top getting back in the groove soon [emoticon]

2017 Ford F-150 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
2007 Rockwood 8318SS
1 beautiful wife, 3 camping kids, 1 camping shih-tzu

PAThwacker

East Stroudsburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/21 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did the pup to htt to tt and back to pups once PA opened up motorized camping in State Forest. Game changer. Off grid with a pup. On my third pup already. Jayco Select 12HW.

2007 Jayco Select 12HW.
Lowe Bass Catcher Pro Mod-V Welded 50hp Mercury
Bell Chestnut Prospector 16ft Royalex
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went from a tiny popup to a large popup, then to an Starcraft 21SSO HTT and now to a fifth wheel. The hybrid we heavily used for 10 years and loved it. Lots of room inside.

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're in our 2nd hybrid. First was an '03, and now the 2013. Both purchased new. We've loved them. For us there really have been no downsides. But I also realize that they aren't for everyone.

We don't plan on replacing the 2013 for at least another few years, but when we do it will be a hard side trailer. For the sole reason that as we're getting older climbing in and out of the bed is getting a lot harder. Something to consider.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.