cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Convert Basement Door to side Hinge

VG1087RVing
Explorer
Explorer
I am interested in switching one of my Basement Doors from Top Hinged to Side Hinged. I believe I can keep the Lock/Latch at the same spot, but if not I think it would be ok to install a new latch. Then i would just deactivate the old latch.

I am looking for feed back from my fellow Roadmasters.

1- Is this even possible?
2- What kind of Hinge should I get?
3- If i want to try it, maybe first doing it on a used door might be smart, is there a good place to go it used RV parts?

ANY HELP Would be great..

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
VG1087RVing wrote:
I am interested in switching one of my Basement Doors from Top Hinged to Side Hinged. I believe I can keep the Lock/Latch at the same spot, but if not I think it would be ok to install a new latch. Then i would just deactivate the old latch.

3- If i want to try it, maybe first doing it on a used door might be smart, is there a good place to go it used RV parts?

Thanks

What are you trying to achieve? Opening it horizontally gives you no more access opening than vertical. What about taking the hatch door and frame out completely and turning it up side down. No need for a hold open latch. Secondly I don't know what type of latches there are, maybe the T handle that turns 90 degrees, you could change that to a push button snap latch. There are both locking and non locking versions. https://www.dyersonline.com/rv-designer-locking-push-compartment-latch.html

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not only does the hinge have to be stronger but you need to watch clearances more closely. If it sags on the end away from the hinge, it will chafe against the frame as you bounce down the road.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Roadmaster as in Monaco?

Do you have the clearance to make the change and/or have to modify the door etc?

Is the door structuraly strong enough to make the change for a side mount?

If the latch will work with it's different position relative to the hinges will it provide overall adequate door support when closed under various conditions?

I'm guessing you want a side mount for more vertical clearance? They are great for me when the slides are in but most of the time they are not and the slide outs are over them.

My side opening doors have 2 hinges that can be adjusted to align the door.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I would use a piano hinge. There will be a lot more stress on the hinges supporting a door from the side rather than hanging from the top.
The door may or may not close flush with the body of the RV when you change the configuration of the hinges.
I wouldn't bother finding a used door to experiment. Just measure, calculate and think long and hard about how you will make the changes before you start drilling or cutting.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
VG1087RVing wrote:

Why Not?

Either look at the hinges already there and go to your local big box hardware store (Lowes etc) or remove the old ones and use them on the side. I would use a thin metal backer plate on the back side of the door and thru bolt the side hinge.
I would place the side hinges on the front edge of the door so the wind would blow the door shut in case someone forgets to latch it.

RV Junk yard

Thanks
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper