Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Have You Installed Your Own Slide Topper?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Have You Installed Your Own Slide Topper?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
FlashBuddy

Fort Collins Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

I would love slide toppers, but what does everyone do in the winds? We get horrible winds where we camp.

Camp somewhere else and get slide topper from Amazon. Unless you're into windsurfing.

[image]

2018 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel Lariat Super Crew 4X4
Grand Design Reflection 295RL
Jan Baby the Wife & Molly the Dog

CaLBaR

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/20 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1L243 wrote:

I am thinking of ordering and installing a slide topper on my RV. My side measures flange to flange at 7'6" (or 93"). When I go on Solera's site I see the closest topper sizes at 8' (or 96") or
8'6" (or 102"). Would either of these sizes work or would I have to do a special order?

Thanks

I have installed 2 of the Solera toppers to my Reflection. Lippert has a table that should be used to determine the length of the topper needed. You measure flange to flange length and then pick the correct P/N from the table that you find here and it all works out perfectly.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws.com/quickreferences/ccd_0001820.pdf

Rob

2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

I would love slide toppers, but what does everyone do in the winds? We get horrible winds where we camp.

I Don't have slide toppers on current trailer but on previous trailer, they could withstand much more wind when compared to an awning......but some flapping is to be expected.
My Colorado toppers were 10 yrs old when trailer was sold.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

dedmiston wrote:

I Don't have slide toppers on current trailer but on previous trailer, they could withstand much more wind when compared to an awning......but some flapping is to be expected.
My Colorado toppers were 10 yrs old when trailer was sold.

Same here, was in wind ,at times. Yes the one longest flapped a bit, and was annoying , but it never hurt the topper.

pinesman

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When my previous trailer was totaled by the insurance company, I pulled off the slide toppers and put them on my current trailer. I had to shorten the tube and awning a little since this is a smaller slide but it was not a big deal

1L243

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/21 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the information but I have to confess I wimped out. Camping World had the Black 96" Solera on Sale for $280. They charged $135 in labor and another $30 in supplies for the install. They did the install in less than two hours.

They did a great job and I could watch from a distance. The biggest pain was driving the 100 miles to the nearest CW in a major down pour.

[image]

[image]

2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

shadows4

Kansas City, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/21 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been thinking of doing this myself also. One thing though, on our door side slide when the awning is deployed I only have 1.5 inches of clearance. The main slide is 152 inches. What size should I use? Thanks.

2003 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,7.3L diesel, 214,000 miles
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

1L243

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shadows4 wrote:

I have been thinking of doing this myself also. One thing though, on our door side slide when the awning is deployed I only have 1.5 inches of clearance. The main slide is 152 inches. What size should I use? Thanks.

Are you saying your current awning will cover your slide out?

If my awning covered my slide out I don't think I would bother with a topper. I would either deploy the awning just enough to cover the Slide out or completely.

shadows4

Kansas City, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/21 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1L243 wrote:

Are you saying your current awning will cover your slide out?

If my awning covered my slide out I don't think I would bother with a topper. I would either deploy the awning just enough to cover the Slide out or completely.

No, I don't have a slide out awning currently. When I deploy my electric awning the awning arm clears the upper corner of the slide out by 1.5 inches. Not sure if I can even use a slide out awning with those close dimensions.

1L243

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, I get it. Typically a Slide Topper is measured outside flange to outside flange. My flange to flange measured 93 inches and I ordered 96 inches. My slide topper sticks out past the slide flange on each side about 3 inches on each side.

You could order your slide topper a little less than the distance between flange to flange. Lets say yours measures 12'6". Instead of ordering larger you could order smaller lets say 12 feet which would be 6 inches less a difference of 3 inches on each side which hypothetically would put you flush with the flange.

Of course you will have to check all your own measurements. And for something that close I would pay to have it done and tell them what your situation is so they can plan for it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Have You Installed Your Own Slide Topper?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.