cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane tank

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
I’ve always wanted to know how your supposed to know how much propane is in your tank before it runs out?
40 REPLIES 40

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine is also in a compartment. During heavy use of the furnace I check once a day. Light use maybe once a week.
Been relaxing all day.

The OP wanted to know how to tell BEFORE he ran out of propane. I offered the automatic regulator has that capability.

dedmiston
time2roll wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
One way allows you to run halfway empty and one way allows you to run all the way empty. I prefer option #1.
I think the idea is if you choose to ignore the indicator on the regulator you can just the same choose to ignore or delay the refill until both are empty.

😉

So just where is your regulator? Is it something you walk past every day? Does it send you a text? Does a fog horn blast? Does it fire a mortar into the sky?

If I don't open the compartment door, I don't see it. Ever.

I have a door on the curb side for one tank and a door on the street side for the other tank. The only way to see the regulator is to pull the tank out or shove a camera in there.

It's not some kind of avoidance. It's an invisible thing. I can let one tank drain itself invisibly or let them both go, which is totally foolish.

I'm glad your system works for you, but it's not one-size-fits-all, my friend.

Now give it a rest.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 40# tanks one behind the other. These are 75# when full and a real pain to remove the rear tank and replace it full. I was told best to keep rear tank closed and just run off the front one. As full-time travelers we avoid cold weather but the only in South Florida have we totally escaped it.
We survive 40 degree and above with the fireplace/heater and heat pump. If the weather man warns of freezing temps I'll give the front tank a tap test if it has been a while since it was filled. If it sounds like it may be low I'll open the valve to the rear tank. If the turnover shows red in the morning I'll get the tank filled, if not I'll turn the rear tank off. If the conditions remain the same for couple nights I repeat the same routine till front tank is empty or the weather moderates.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
One way allows you to run halfway empty and one way allows you to run all the way empty. I prefer option #1.
I think the idea is if you choose to ignore the indicator on the regulator you can just the same choose to ignore or delay the refill until both are empty.

😉

dedmiston
fj12ryder wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
I'm not a fan of the auto-switchover regulators. I want to know when that first tank runs dry, even if I have to get up and go out in the cold to switch tanks. To me that's preferable than to wake up in the cold to find that I have TWO empty tanks.
Well, if you couldn't remember to fill one tank when it ran out, why would you remember to fill one when it ran out and you had to switch it over? And then you run out, go out to switch it over and find they're both empty. Can't blame the mechanism for human error.

Maybe I'm dense, but I don't follow you.

Different strokes though.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
I'm not a fan of the auto-switchover regulators. I want to know when that first tank runs dry, even if I have to get up and go out in the cold to switch tanks. To me that's preferable than to wake up in the cold to find that I have TWO empty tanks.
Well, if you couldn't remember to fill one tank when it ran out, why would you remember to fill one when it ran out and you had to switch it over? And then you run out, go out to switch it over and find they're both empty. Can't blame the mechanism for human error.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Can you imagine driving a car like that? Ignore the gauge and wait until you are stalled on the side of the road. Then get out, change tanks and drive on. Not for me.
Yeah, it was very common at one time. I had a Volkswagon that had a manual switch over that you worked with your foot when the main tank ran out. And I've had lots of motorcycles that had a reserve tank you switched to when the main ran out. Not at all uncommon.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Can you imagine driving a car like that? Ignore the gauge and wait until you are stalled on the side of the road. Then get out, change tanks and drive on. Not for me.

Had a pickup like that once. It had 2 gas tanks with a switch you would use to select one or the other. For some reason the gauge didn't work on either tank. After the truck quit running you would have to switch to the other tank and then restart it.

Got so good at it that when the truck would start to die I could bump it into neutral, flip the switch to the other tank, and restart the truck, without ever losing much speed.:B

dedmiston
My car has a reliable gauge that I can see all the time. There's even a thing that tells me how many miles I have left (mas o menos).

My RV has a series of disappointing gauges that have let me down over the years. I'm pretty good about refilling before trips when I think I need it, but having a reserve tank is a great failsafe for me.

Regardless, I'd never put myself in the situation where I might carelessly run both tanks dry. I just don't trust myself or the rest of the family. I've caught my wife forgetting to turn off the oven too many times.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

dedmiston

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diamond c wrote:
I have 2 tanks and manually switch from one to another when first one runs out. I was just looking to know how much the one that I’m on now has in it. We’re leaving tomorrow for a few days and I hate to get there and one run out as soon as we get there. The web site says that they sell propane but I had just rather not have to fool with it while we’re gone if I don’t have to.
Get an automatic regulator that indicates when the primary cylinder is empty. With this system you will always know if you have more than half of total capacity and you are good to go. Or the indicator turns from green to red and you are less than half capacity and ready to fill one of the cylinders.

The other benefit is that you no longer need to get up in the cold to change cylinders at 3am. The switch is automatic and you can refill the empty cylinder after you get some coffee.

Cavagna regulator on amazon

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have one of the checker that you press against the side of the tank and it glows green or red. My main issue with it was reliability, it would rarely show the same level in the same place.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
Dometic makes a handheld lp checker that you press against the side of the cylinder. It glows red when above the level of the propane and glows green when at or below the lp level. They were about $30 when I got mine but I think it's about $50 now.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg