Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Propane tank
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Propane tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your cooktop will show when tank level is getting low. Yellow flame. Your fridge may have a warning when the tank is getting low. Shaking the tank in place will tell you when it is getting low. Easy to tell a full one from an empty one. The tone of a tank when given a tap will let you know which is empty & which is full.

I don't use the automatic switchover on the regulator. I like to do it manually. When one goes empty, switch & refill at earliest opportunity. Less chance of forgetting till all out that way.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

Your cooktop will show when tank level is getting low. Yellow flame. Your fridge may have a warning when the tank is getting low. Shaking the tank in place will tell you when it is getting low. Easy to tell a full one from an empty one. The tone of a tank when given a tap will let you know which is empty & which is full.

I don't use the automatic switchover on the regulator. I like to do it manually. When one goes empty, switch & refill at earliest opportunity. Less chance of forgetting till all out that way.

Stove top is LAST item to be affected by low propane as it has it's own LP Reg under the top that controls to 10"WC when system is 11"WC
System has to drop to/below 10"WC before stove would be affected.
Fridge/Water heater/furnace require the 11"WC to properly burn.

Furnace would be first as it has the largest burner
Water heater and then fridge with smallest burner

Besides ...Yellow flame would be 'fuel rich' flame (lacking enough air for complete combustion)

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

riltri

Husk & Steinhatchee

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have this one. Really like it!
propane detector

Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/20 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Diamond c wrote:

I have 2 tanks and manually switch from one to another when first one runs out. I was just looking to know how much the one that I’m on now has in it. We’re leaving tomorrow for a few days and I hate to get there and one run out as soon as we get there. The web site says that they sell propane but I had just rather not have to fool with it while we’re gone if I don’t have to.

So go top it off today
Then you have 2 full cylinders

Simple....

LOL,
Before we full timed when we returned from a trip, we would spend the next week getting ready for the next trip. Besides laundry and replacing staple foods, included topping off the propane tanked last used on the trip, we always left with two full tanks.
I would check the auto switch over regulator to see if the first tank was empty.
I never liked the thought of the first tank running out at 2:00 am on a cold, wet, and windy night. I would rather check the gauge the next morning and see I need to fill the empty tank.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/20 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never top off the propane cylinders. When the Cavagna regulator is red the empty cylinder is removed and filled. Never had trouble finding propane while on the road. Although during light use I will fill after returning home.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one of those cheap magnetic tank level things. You stick it on the side of the tank and pour boiling water over it. It changes color at the level the propane is in the tank.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/20 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on where you are, "topping off" a tank can be somewhat costly since many places charge a set rate to fill a tank. Other places fill by the pound, which is how it should be, but don't be caught by by surprise with a $20 charge to top off a 30# tank.

I use an electronic scale to check my tanks.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

8ntw8tn

Southeast Iowa & Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dometic makes a handheld lp checker that you press against the side of the cylinder. It glows red when above the level of the propane and glows green when at or below the lp level. They were about $30 when I got mine but I think it's about $50 now.

'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one of the checker that you press against the side of the tank and it glows green or red. My main issue with it was reliability, it would rarely show the same level in the same place.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diamond c wrote:

I have 2 tanks and manually switch from one to another when first one runs out. I was just looking to know how much the one that I’m on now has in it. We’re leaving tomorrow for a few days and I hate to get there and one run out as soon as we get there. The web site says that they sell propane but I had just rather not have to fool with it while we’re gone if I don’t have to.
Get an automatic regulator that indicates when the primary cylinder is empty. With this system you will always know if you have more than half of total capacity and you are good to go. Or the indicator turns from green to red and you are less than half capacity and ready to fill one of the cylinders.

The other benefit is that you no longer need to get up in the cold to change cylinders at 3am. The switch is automatic and you can refill the empty cylinder after you get some coffee.

Cavagna regulator on amazon

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Propane tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.