Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Propane tank
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Propane tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not a fan of the auto-switchover regulators. I want to know when that first tank runs dry, even if I have to get up and go out in the cold to switch tanks. To me that's preferable than to wake up in the cold to find that I have TWO empty tanks.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you imagine driving a car like that? Ignore the gauge and wait until you are stalled on the side of the road. Then get out, change tanks and drive on. Not for me.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My car has a reliable gauge that I can see all the time. There's even a thing that tells me how many miles I have left (mas o menos).

My RV has a series of disappointing gauges that have let me down over the years. I'm pretty good about refilling before trips when I think I need it, but having a reserve tank is a great failsafe for me.

Regardless, I'd never put myself in the situation where I might carelessly run both tanks dry. I just don't trust myself or the rest of the family. I've caught my wife forgetting to turn off the oven too many times.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Can you imagine driving a car like that? Ignore the gauge and wait until you are stalled on the side of the road. Then get out, change tanks and drive on. Not for me.

Had a pickup like that once. It had 2 gas tanks with a switch you would use to select one or the other. For some reason the gauge didn't work on either tank. After the truck quit running you would have to switch to the other tank and then restart it.

Got so good at it that when the truck would start to die I could bump it into neutral, flip the switch to the other tank, and restart the truck, without ever losing much speed.[emoticon]

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Yeah, it was very common at one time. I had a Volkswagon that had a manual switch over that you worked with your foot when the main tank ran out. And I've had lots of motorcycles that had a reserve tank you switched to when the main ran out. Not at all uncommon.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

I'm not a fan of the auto-switchover regulators. I want to know when that first tank runs dry, even if I have to get up and go out in the cold to switch tanks. To me that's preferable than to wake up in the cold to find that I have TWO empty tanks.
Well, if you couldn't remember to fill one tank when it ran out, why would you remember to fill one when it ran out and you had to switch it over? And then you run out, go out to switch it over and find they're both empty. Can't blame the mechanism for human error.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

dedmiston wrote:

Well, if you couldn't remember to fill one tank when it ran out, why would you remember to fill one when it ran out and you had to switch it over? And then you run out, go out to switch it over and find they're both empty. Can't blame the mechanism for human error.

Maybe I'm dense, but I don't follow you.

One way allows you to run halfway empty and one way allows you to run all the way empty. I prefer option #1.

Different strokes though.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

One way allows you to run halfway empty and one way allows you to run all the way empty. I prefer option #1.
I think the idea is if you choose to ignore the indicator on the regulator you can just the same choose to ignore or delay the refill until both are empty.

[emoticon]

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 2 40# tanks one behind the other. These are 75# when full and a real pain to remove the rear tank and replace it full. I was told best to keep rear tank closed and just run off the front one. As full-time travelers we avoid cold weather but the only in South Florida have we totally escaped it.
We survive 40 degree and above with the fireplace/heater and heat pump. If the weather man warns of freezing temps I'll give the front tank a tap test if it has been a while since it was filled. If it sounds like it may be low I'll open the valve to the rear tank. If the turnover shows red in the morning I'll get the tank filled, if not I'll turn the rear tank off. If the conditions remain the same for couple nights I repeat the same routine till front tank is empty or the weather moderates.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

dedmiston wrote:

I think the idea is if you choose to ignore the indicator on the regulator you can just the same choose to ignore or delay the refill until both are empty.

[emoticon]

So just where is your regulator? Is it something you walk past every day? Does it send you a text? Does a fog horn blast? Does it fire a mortar into the sky?

If I don't open the compartment door, I don't see it. Ever.

I have a door on the curb side for one tank and a door on the street side for the other tank. The only way to see the regulator is to pull the tank out or shove a camera in there.

It's not some kind of avoidance. It's an invisible thing. I can let one tank drain itself invisibly or let them both go, which is totally foolish.

I'm glad your system works for you, but it's not one-size-fits-all, my friend.

Now give it a rest.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Propane tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.