Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Probably going to be hanging out in the TT forum more.....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Probably going to be hanging out in the TT forum more.....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Straight across 2 for 1 trade at the dmv, no tax, new truck!

I've bought a few things from private party sellers in WA over the last few years. I know the trick to not pay sales tax when transferring the title to my name at the DOL. I bought my Nash 17k that way as well as the Arctic Fox 992 I bought in August. I saved $3100 on the 992.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Straight across 2 for 1 trade at the dmv, no tax, new truck!

I've bought a few things from private party sellers in WA over the last few years. I know the trick to not pay sales tax when transferring the title to my name at the DOL. I bought my Nash 17k that way as well as the Arctic Fox 992 I bought in August. I saved $3100 on the 992.

Is there a "trick" when buying private party outright?
Besides, affidavit of value or getting a "gift" receipt?
Cause I'm all ears, pay enough taxes as it is and loathe paying tax a second or third time on something that was already taxed.
This transaction was an actual trade, no different than trading your vehicle in at a dealer, and we valued our vehicles the same.
I did get the DOL to add my snowbike kit as a new "brand" of snowmobile, so that I could register the snow part and leave the bike out of the equation (WA had been retitling bikes as snowmobiles even though snowmobiles don't carry titles and then forcing the owners to re-title as a bike if it's used in the summer as an ORV or street legal). That was a win since they had no idea of the value of the kit and the bike never entered the equation!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

The tires aren't full on bro dozer they have some sidewall [emoticon]

A set of custom Deaver spring packs might be something to take a gander at... blocks and bump stops come out and articulation and ride and tow capability go in...

I don't see Deaver offers coils for Rams? SD Spring offers HD coils in stock length, but this is mostly a soccermobile, so not really needed or worth it.
It's sitting on a cheap lift so the rear has spacers under the OE coils, which at first I was not excited about, but the OE coils are compliant enough with a good ride.
But if I was towing heavy, this wouldn't be the truck to do it with. It'll never see more than my 32' snomachine trailer, 6klb boat or a TT.
Being that it's leveled (6" front/4" rear) I will need a basic set of bags just to keep it level-ish with heavier tongue weights.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Looks nice. Hard to get in?

Nope, has AMP steps. A luxury I'd have trouble shelling out for, but very slick nonetheless.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie wrote:

You know , I have a friend that got a truck like that because it looked good. A couple of years later he wants to sell it because it just doesn't tow well with the lift kit and those wheels. He has a another truck that is stock and it tows so much better that he is going to get rid of the one with the bling wheels.

It is a nice looking truck.

Thanks Charlie.
Those tires and wheels will handle better than stock, with way more capacity than the truck itself for load. Wider footprint, not much sidewall flex.
The lift isn't ideal for towing, for sure, but beggars cant be choosers.
It'll do fine, have towed more with less.

I'm most impressed how impeccable the alignment is. OP didn't rotate on time and the tire wear is still perfect in front.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not to worry -- even with a TT, there are lots of boondocking sites available to you, not far away. I'm guessing you can see Rainier from your house -- Camping Heaven.

Good luck in your search for a new RV!

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

Not to worry -- even with a TT, there are lots of boondocking sites available to you, not far away. I'm guessing you can see Rainier from your house -- Camping Heaven.

Good luck in your search for a new RV!

Rainier view right out the end of the driveway in fact!

Thanks!

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 11:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lift kits and towing aren't a great match. But it will definitely add to trade-in value for a stock model.

• 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Probably going to be hanging out in the TT forum more.....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.