Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Burnt wires in power distribution panel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Burnt wires in power distribution panel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

QCMan wrote:

Odds are they are all loose or were before you tightened them. Loose connections = higher resistance = high temps = burnt wires.

I agree. MUCH more likely that a random power surge causing the excessive heat that destroyed the insulation on all of them.

Sorry, in my post one letter incorrect made my post on page one confusing/contradictory.

First sentence of my reply--I agreed with his conclusion (did then, still do!).

But, the "that" in the next sentence should have been "THAN", as "that" contradicts my agreeing with his statement. Thanks, fat fingers.

SO: Here is what my post should have said: "I agree. MUCH more likely THAN a random power surge causing the excessive heat that destroyed the insulation on all of them."

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Non accuracy due to having a keyboard the size of a Saltine cracker

BeeBee

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all the members who replied on this issue. Such a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum! I am going to go through the entire panel for loose and/or corroded wires, and will be cutting off and reattaching the burnt ends. I'll be monitoring this closely in the future to make sure it does not redevelop. Last thing we need is a fire in the trailer!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 05:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I HIGHLY suggest turning off the AC power and tightening EVERY electrical connection possible. This also applies to cords with twist locks and their receptacles.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

So is it possible there was one loose wire and the heat moved on the bus to discolor the other wires?

It's entirely possible. Generally when that's what has happened it's pretty clear which connection was loose as that wire is the most burnt one, and the ones adjacent are the next most toasted ones, etc.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The one that could cause heat along the buss is the main neutral It should be the largest wire which is farthest left in photo. I would normally put this wire in the center of the buss as a personal favorite.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I HIGHLY suggest turning off the AC power and tightening EVERY electrical connection possible. This also applies to cords with twist locks and their receptacles.
Yes.. the screws that attach the 30a cable to the plug. PITA to check, but when they work loose things get hot.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Yes.. the screws that attach the 30a cable to the plug. PITA to check, but when they work loose things get hot.

Nad a neutral come loose and fall onto a hot. Caused Microwave and a couple other things to have 220V. Side effects were not good!

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BeeBee wrote:

Thanks all for the replies. Is an "ATS" the "transfer switch" ? Is that the switch that switches from DC to AC? Where might I find that in my travel trailer?

Read thru the thread and saw that no one ever answered this. The ATS is a switch that allows shore power 120v to your panel and then when an onboard generator is started, it shuts the shore power off and allows the generator power to take over.

The ATS has NOTHING to do with DC 12v power.

If you have a motorhome with a generator you might have an ATS or you might simply have an outlet for the generator that you roll up the shore cord in its compartment and plug it into the generator outlet (manual transfer switch of sorts).

If you have a trailer and no onboard generator you won't have a ATS. If you have a built in generator you might or might not have an ATS or the outlet and plug setup I described above.

Charles

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Burnt wires in power distribution panel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.