Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Blackstone 22" griddle for $99 at Walmart!!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Blackstone 22" griddle for $99 at Walmart!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Nope, no way is a flat top burger the equal of a charcoal grilled burger. Gas grill is a different story. And flat top steak vs charcoal grilled steak? Don't make me laugh.

Oh, and a well-cooked steak is supposed to be raw in the middle. Any other way is just roast beef. [emoticon]

Steaks a grill has the edge but if you get the flat top rocket hot first, you can still make a real nice steak...and yes, rare to medium-rare is the way to eat steak...not sure why you added that.

Just about anything else, the flat top wins with many great options you can't even consider with a grill.

Grill is too much of a uni-tasker.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/20 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clearly y'all haven't eaten (or didn't realize you had eaten) a steak on a flattop. It cooks WAY better than a grill. I can get one side piping hot and sear a beautiful crust on it (we prefer a little olive oil and some Montreal steak seasoning), then move it to the warm side and finish cooking to a perfect 134 degree medium. While the steak is cooking, we grill up some potatoes with a little olive oil and steak seasoning. Once the steaks come off we toss some fresh green beans on the grill and steam them up while the steak rests. Absolutely delicious.

Many steakhouses cook on a flattop or a frying pan. Very few actually "grill" steaks. The thermal mass of a steel or iron cook top allows for a more even transfer of heat, as opposed to a grill that has flareups from grease. You do what you do, but don't knock a process that you don't know (or don't know that you know).

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

Clearly y'all haven't eaten (or didn't realize you had eaten) a steak on a flattop. It cooks WAY better than a grill. I can get one side piping hot and sear a beautiful crust on it (we prefer a little olive oil and some Montreal steak seasoning), then move it to the warm side and finish cooking to a perfect 134 degree medium. While the steak is cooking, we grill up some potatoes with a little olive oil and steak seasoning. Once the steaks come off we toss some fresh green beans on the grill and steam them up while the steak rests. Absolutely delicious.

Many steakhouses cook on a flattop or a frying pan. Very few actually "grill" steaks. The thermal mass of a steel or iron cook top allows for a more even transfer of heat, as opposed to a grill that has flareups from grease. You do what you do, but don't knock a process that you don't know (or don't know that you know).
Yes, it's pretty obvious that cooking on a flattop is a better process for cooking steaks in a restaurant. And some are very good, but none can compare to a rare steak off the grill. And if the meat is good, there really isn't any need for anything to help the taste.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Nope, no way is a flat top burger the equal of a charcoal grilled burger. Gas grill is a different story. And flat top steak vs charcoal grilled steak? Don't make me laugh.

Oh, and a well-cooked steak is supposed to be raw in the middle. Any other way is just roast beef. [emoticon]

Steaks a grill has the edge but if you get the flat top rocket hot first, you can still make a real nice steak...and yes, rare to medium-rare is the way to eat steak...not sure why you added that.

A previous poster had said: "expensive steaks looking good on the outside but raw in the center."

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What type of oil did you Blackstone owners use to season?

I keep reading that flax seed oil is liked for griddles. I'm leaning between flax or the Blackstone paste they sell.

I mostly cook with olive oil but it's not healthy to get it over smoke point. I think the Blackstone brand is a mixture of palm, beeswax, and canola.

I need to look up flax and palm oil. See how they like getting above smoke point.

obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

A previous poster had said: "expensive steaks looking good on the outside but raw in the center."
Tell you what: I won't tell you how to eat your steak, and you don't tell me how to eat mine.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

obgraham wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Tell you what: I won't tell you how to eat your steak, and you don't tell me how to eat mine.
Sorry, but when I see a crime committed, as in a well done steak, I have to speak out. [emoticon]

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 17" Blackstone and a Weber-Q. Each have their use. Both fit together, along with my dorm size fridge in an outside compartment.

Love the Blackstone for breakfast, philly cheese steak subs etc.

Love the Weber Q for steaks, burgers etc...

Have not tried the Blackstone for steaks and burgers but have been meaning to.

I don't find the single burner a big issue. Not any different than cooking on an electric griddle where everything is the same temp as well. I don't seem to have issues with the corners/edges being significantly colder than anywhere else. Least not enough to notice.

Im one who loves the 17" Blackstone, but from the sounds of this thread, Im in the minority.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

I have a 17" Blackstone and a Weber-Q. Each have their use. Both fit together, along with my dorm size fridge in an outside compartment.

I don't find the single burner a big issue. Not any different than cooking on an electric griddle where everything is the same temp as well. I don't seem to have issues with the corners/edges being significantly colder than anywhere else. Least not enough to notice.

Im one who loves the 17" Blackstone, but from the sounds of this thread, Im in the minority.

Mike

I and several others have the 17" blackstone and really like them. yes, the 22 inch has dual burners, definitely nice, but the 17" does what we need and has an easy storage space in the trailer, the 22" would be a much tougher fit for storage. if you have the room, go for the 22".

Also, we have done steaks, burgers, and dogs on the blackstone. They came out great. Our favorite steak are flatiron's, medium rare, and for me some blue cheese sprinkled on the top. They come out great on the blackstone. We have a really nice BBQ grill that doesn't get used much anymore.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

Mike

I've had my 17" Blackstone for about 2 years.For the most part I was happy with it. It was just when the temps. were cold/cool the Blackstone struggled to heat up.
If I were in GA or somewhere warmer than MD. I imagine I would have fewer issues.
Keep in mind MD is certainly not the coldest place in the country.
However on a cool morning, the Blackstone would struggle to get hot enough to cook bacon. A cool breeze made the situation even worse.
This lack of heat scenario may have only happened 2-3 times a year, but when it happens your stuck with a griddle full of Luke warm bacon.
At first I saw it as a isolated episode. But after a few episode I realized the 17" model had a weakness.
Eventually I had enough and decided to upgrade to the dual burner 22" model.
I love the concept of the flat griddle Blackstone. If you never cook in cold temps. The 17" is fine. Just understand there are times when the 17" fails to get hot.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Blackstone 22" griddle for $99 at Walmart!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.