Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Propane Tank Vacuum Purge
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Propane Tank Vacuum Purge

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
1L243

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased new 30# tanks for my RV. They came shipped to the house with a sticker that says they have to be vacuum purged. This does not sound like something the local propane filler can do? Is it necessary and if it is what's the procedure?

2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/20 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take it to an actual propane store.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take them to your local Suburban or Ameri-gas facility. They should do it for free with filling the tanks.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/20 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup they can do it.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 07:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never had issue with new tanks that had this sticker on them, last set I took over to ACE hardware to have them filled.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/20 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they use the vent when filling does the air not come out? Worst case the lighter than propane air should come right out the top when first used.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/20 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just means that the propane dealer doesn’t need to use propane to purge the air from the tanks. Otherwise they need to put a small amount of propane in the tank then release it to flush any air out of the tank.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/20 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If liquid propane is put in the tank without first purging the tank, the concern is that the moisture in the air will instantly freeze to the sides of the tank & you really don't want moisture in the tank.
You want to get all of the moisture laden air out of the tank.
This can be done either with vacuum or several rounds of vapor & vent. I don't know why the tank mfg. said to use vacuum purge. Is it possible that the sticker said the tank had been vacuum purged?

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sandia Man wrote:

Never had issue with new tanks that had this sticker on them, last set I took over to ACE hardware to have them filled.

I have. I bought 2 30 propane cylinders that were not purged that I had nothing but trouble with them. My furnace would backfire and shut down requiring me to have to turn the furnace off and back on to reset it. Luckily for each cylinder bought at different times I had refilled the original cylinders. Once I switched to them the furnace ran flawlessly.

A propane supplier burned off the propane in the cylinders with a rig he had. Then he removed the valves and rinsed the inside with an alcohol product to bind any moisture inside the cylinders to it. He then reinstalled the valves, purged the cylinders and refilled them. Both worked perfectly after that.

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/20 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its a gimmick. Fuel to air ratios fall between the too rich and too lean for combustion, even then there has to be an ignition source in that critical % state in side the container.

It has never happened. Purging is just a gimmick used by suppliers to charge you for something you do not need. Big tanks like 500 gallon tanks are shipped and filled with air at atmospheric pressure. They are not vacummed or purged. The negligable air and oxygen becomes too rich of a mixture to burn,

Propane 101
Ask your local firefighter.

The potential water vapor could be a concern IF filled on 100% humidity day, IF used on much a colder day in which the tank empties to allow the water to boil. Otherwise, water will become and remain liquid until the pressure drops so low as to cause it to boil off or to freeze dry. That would be far below the boiling point of propane at -44.3 f Niether is ever likely or documented. It just cant happen

Talk to your local firefighter. not your propane supplier Its akin to asking to a used car salesman vs a scientist One will tell you its safe , the other truth. both will tell you its safe
Talk to your local fireman!

* This post was edited 11/24/20 09:02pm by SDcampowneroperator *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Propane Tank Vacuum Purge
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.