Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Propane Tank Vacuum Purge
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Propane Tank Vacuum Purge

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New propane cylinders are shipped either with 100# Air pressure OR under a vacuum

Air Pressure........Cylinders need to be 'Vapor Purged' 4 times to remove all air

Vacuum......propane vendor just fills them. NO Purging necessary

Check that 'sticker' again.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Proper procedure for purging a propane tank with propane vapor (propane gas) and why.

propane cylinder purging

I believe you only have to do use propane vapor (propane gas) 3 times on the smaller DOT cylinders of 100 lbs and less, but I can't find the link.

Looks like I might be wrong. Everything I can find says 5 times. Including regulations from the Utah State Fire Marshall.

Yes boys and girls. Some state regulations require cylinders shipped with air to be purged with propane vapor (propane gas) for the reasons stated in the link above.

I can't make a shortcut to the Utah link, but if you copy paste what I put below into your browser it will pop up in the search. Other state propane regulations may also show up. So regardless of what the maysayers state about being unnecessary state regulations may require purging.

Utah LP-Gas-Basic-Filling-Procedures-Gen-Info-1

* This post was last edited 11/24/20 09:24pm by mobeewan *   View edit history

1L243

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 11:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, I rechecked the stickers. The sticker doesn't Vacuum Purge it says VACUUM PURGED!

So, should I assume that the tanks have been purged already and are ready to fill?
[image]

2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 12:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Purge might be good as long as someone hasn't turned the valve handwheel or opened the spitter screw.

There is a one way built in check valve that doesn't allow propane to flow out unless it is depressed when the acme nut or POL fitting is screwed into the cylinder valve. It is also depressed when the tank is filled.

With the cylinder under vacuum the poppet could open drawing air into the cylinder if the handwheel is turned. Air can also enter the cylinder if the spitter screw is opened.

A propane supplier told me if the cylinder is more than 6 months old he purges them with propane vapor anyways.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/20 08:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just have it filled and go camping.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Just have it filled and go camping.

Exactly....
That propane cylinder was shipped under a vacuum (vs air pressure)

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 09:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Just means that the propane dealer doesn’t need to use propane to purge the air from the tanks. Otherwise they need to put a small amount of propane in the tank then release it to flush any air out of the tank.

Every time I get my tank refilled, they open the overflow (?) valve and fill until propane comes out. No air left !

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/20 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

Its a gimmick. Fuel to air ratios fall between the too rich and too lean for combustion, even then there has to be an ignition source in that critical % state in side the container.

It has never happened. Purging is just a gimmick used by suppliers to charge you for something you do not need. Big tanks like 500 gallon tanks are shipped and filled with air at atmospheric pressure. They are not vacummed or purged. The negligable air and oxygen becomes too rich of a mixture to burn,

Propane 101
Ask your local firefighter.

The potential water vapor could be a concern IF filled on 100% humidity day, IF used on much a colder day in which the tank empties to allow the water to boil. Otherwise, water will become and remain liquid until the pressure drops so low as to cause it to boil off or to freeze dry. That would be far below the boiling point of propane at -44.3 f Niether is ever likely or documented. It just cant happen

Talk to your local firefighter. not your propane supplier Its akin to asking to a used car salesman vs a scientist One will tell you its safe , the other truth. both will tell you its safe
Talk to your local fireman!

Ever notice how people who have little or no knowledge of a subject are the most ardent in their opinions? I will take a propane supplier's word over a "firefighter's" word any day concerning propane. Note that a "propane supplier" is not the local UHaul guy or campground employee pumping propane.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/20 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dunno about that, Bobo. I grew up in a fire family, and dad and all his buddies really knew their stuff. They studied and drilled on this stuff all the time. I wouldn't discount their expertise for a second.

Not that good LP guys aren't knowledgeable too, but the average propane monkeys don't seem to be. How many times have you had someone refill your tanks and not even bother wearing gloves or eye protection? They may have standards somehow, but I don't see it in practice, and I don't detect a lot of training or science in what they do.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/20 11:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

New propane cylinders are shipped either with 100# Air pressure OR under a vacuum

Air Pressure........Cylinders need to be 'Vapor Purged' 4 times to remove all air

Vacuum......propane vendor just fills them. NO Purging necessary

Check that 'sticker' again.

Why is some of this stuff so hard for people to understand??
Thanks Old-Biscuit!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Propane Tank Vacuum Purge
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.