Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Broken cargo door key
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Broken cargo door key

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/20 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking for advice and/or hacks. I've unlocked my cargo doors in the dark a bazillion times, but tonight the key went soft on me and broke. I looked in my baggie of spare keys, but this is the one lock that we didn't get duplicates for.

So my two needs are:

1. (Immediate) I need to figure out how get into that door pretty pronto, because I need to get to the stuff inside (like leveling blocks) for a trip.

2. (Longer term) I need to figure out how to either replace the key or replace all the locks.

[image]

[image]

[image]

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/20 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have a locksmith nearby that could pick the locks?

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/20 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

there is a # on the key. any locksmith, the camp or a neighbor wil have one.
Ch 545,751 223 will open most baggage doors.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

yup, the infamous CH751 key. works on many if not the majority of pass through doors, garden tractors, sprinkler locks, and the list goes on.....

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

yup, the infamous CH751 key. works on many if not the majority of pass through doors, garden tractors, sprinkler locks, and the list goes on.....

You can add the storage locker on a 2020 Manitou Off Road Telescopic Forklift to that list.

OP look on the lock it self above and below where the key goes in the slot. There may be a number printed there. That is the key number.

1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even though the key is broken off inside, which negates putting another key in or picking the lock, is there any chance you could insert the broken end of the key until it touches the end of the broken key, then ever so gently try to turn it while tapping and pushing in and out on the cargo door? The idea is to relieve the pressure on the lock tab inside.
I know on mine that the fit isn't the best, and the locking tab inside is tight against the frame. Putting pressure on the door could relieve it enough to turn.

Another thought, by any slim chance is there access from inside? My last TT had a lift up panel under the bed to access the storage. I could reach the storage bay door from the inside. If so, you could remove the nut on the back of the lock cylinder, and let the tab fall off.

Do both sides of the compartment lock? A lot have a thumbs latch on one side and a lock on the other. Your pic is too dark to tell. If you can open one side, pull the door open enough to get your arm in there, maybe you could work the nut off the latch tab on the inside. Or maybe get something in there to try to jockey it open. There is some flex in the doors, they will bend a little without damage.

Is it a pass through compartment with a door on the other end? If so open the other door, pull stuff out and crawl in to take the thing apart from the inside.

Or a drill and bits. Drill out the cylinder until it comes apart. New ones are cheap enough. Should be able to do that without damaging anything.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 12:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to get at the backside, and remove the screws holding the cover then you can pop the rods that pull the latches out of the door frame when opening the cargo door, pull the rods by hand to unlatch the door,
The latch rods are inside the door, run thru the interior, one on each side of the door, from lock to latch, I installed a new cargo door lock and the latches on one Bay door just a few months ago

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 12:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a Southco baggage door latch.

Your picture shows the number R001 on the side of the broken keep. They are available too

Key R001

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 02:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe a dental pick would pull out the broken key, maybe use a diaper saftey pin to make a hook for removing the broken piece, or use a small fishing hook,sticky tape pushed against the broken piece

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 04:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the key was fully inserted you may be able to unlovk using a flat screwdriver.

A hair pin may be able to extravt the broken key.. (or not)

A locksmith will have little trouble take him mere minutes then he can cut you spares.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Broken cargo door key
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.