Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: DEF Math
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> DEF Math

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/20 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The owner's manual says my truck has a 5.5 gal DEF tank. I waited until I was down to 1/4 on the gauge, just above the red zone, and added a 2.5 gal box of Blue DEF from Advance Auto. Now the gauge reads FULL to the top.

So the gauge must be set to give you a long warning zone to keep you out of limp mode. This is only my 2nd time adding DEF so just getting used to all of this.

Also interesting is that the DEF I got said "Blue DEF" but the Peak brand is gone, and so is the manufacture date. No date or code of any kind on the box or the container so no way to know how old it is. With tax it was $15 for 2.5 gals, so $6/gal. Probably last time I'm buying it at Advance.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

The owner's manual says my truck has a 5.5 gal DEF tank. I waited until I was down to 1/4 on the gauge, just above the red zone, and added a 2.5 gal box of Blue DEF from Advance Auto. Now the gauge reads FULL to the top.

So the gauge must be set to give you a long warning zone to keep you out of limp mode. This is only my 2nd time adding DEF so just getting used to all of this.

Also interesting is that the DEF I got said "Blue DEF" but the Peak brand is gone, and so is the manufacture date. No date or code of any kind on the box or the container so no way to know how old it is. With tax it was $15 for 2.5 gals, so $6/gal. Probably last time I'm buying it at Advance.

The Walmart house brand is about $9 and it is just a generic chemical that most people seem to think makes all brands equal.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy from the pump at truck stops. Not only is it fresh and stored in a cool place to last longer, but is also only costs about $2 per gallon.

My dealerships sells DEF. I can tell you that most of it sits out in a hot warehouse or in a hot semi-trailer for ages before being put out in the showroom which lowers the shelf life.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DEF is an aqueous urea solution made with 32.5% urea and 67.5% deionized water.

Brand shouldn't matter

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

BurbMan wrote:

$7.88 in my area and that's all I use. The pump Def is cheaper but not convenient in my area.

The Walmart house brand is about $9 and it is just a generic chemical that most people seem to think makes all brands equal.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blue is $10 at Costco and that's what I've been buying lately because it's the most convenient. It's only a buck a gallon more than buying it at the pump.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You Ram/Dodge guys are fortunate enough to have a decent place to fill your DEF and maybe even gauges!
The fill for my Chevy is under the hood and there is no gauge.
I try to fill at the pump just because its much easier than filling from the box under the hood

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/20 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They have it at Costco? Thanks for the heads up on that!

Lantley how do you know if you're out of DEF without a gauge?

LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/20 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

DEF is an aqueous urea solution made with 32.5% urea and 67.5% deionized water.

Brand shouldn't matter

Brand shouldn't matter, but I have a different experience. I had always used Peak Blue DEF but a local farm store had some off-brand DEF that was $7 for a 2.5 gallon container. I used the cheap stuff to fill up prior to a long trip and about 100 miles in I got a CEL and noticed that my DEF gauge started dropping MUCH faster than usual. At an O'Reilly's I used their scanner which showed a code for "Insufficient Catalyst". I topped off my DEF tank, but the CEL came back on and the excessive use of DEF continued for the trip.

When I got home I siphoned out the entire DEF tank and refilled with Peak Blue along with clearing the code. That was 6 years ago and I've used Peak ever since and have never had that code again.

Was it cheap DEF that was made at a bad spec? Maybe. Was it just old DEF that had been stored improperly and degraded? That's probably the more likely scenario. However, I decided that my track record with name brand Peak and the problems with the one use of the cheap stuff was enough to convince me to use the name brand and not risk problems just to save a few $$.

I may be spending more for no good reason, but I don't like taking the risks.

KJ

'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/20 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Peak Blue DEF is changing their packaging and pushing that it is very pure, less contamination, for as much as I use I will continue to use it.
I also fill at 1/2 tank, and it goes to full, yes having a gauge is nice.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> DEF Math
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.