Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: DEF Math
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> DEF Math

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

Me Again wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

15 RAM with gauge at 1/2 a 2.5 fits easily.

X2!

One has to use 1 to 1.5 gallons when the tank is full before the gauge even starts to move down. It is very slow at the top and more speedy on once the gauge starts moving.

While that may be true, at least Ram thought in give you a gauge. Ford and GM didn’t have them early on, and I am not sure if either has a gauge yet.

The 11-16 Super Duty's tells you "The exhaust system is OK", "under half full", and two different miles left warnings (don't remember the exact miles left messages). The '17-Up have a digital DEF gauge.

The Ram def usage rate is not linear and will go down at a faster rate once the fluid gets down to a certain level. Not sure if Ford or GM does the same.

I was a Ford man for about 45 years and most of my fuel gauges were not linear either. That and I could watch the file gauge needle move on our old 460 F250 ,twin 19 gallon tanks!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

noteven wrote:

What we learned in the class 8 world is high EGT's (power demand) result in increased NOx emission which = increased DEF use. In a working class 8 truck that was around 1-2% DEF vs fuel.

If I owned a DEF using pickup I would measure in some DEF fills at the pumps vs fuel used and soon have a rate vs fuel use vs work we are doing today factor to know when to fill the DEF tank.
a shopping plaza or China parts store to buy DEF in a cardboard box down aisle 300.

In my case my DEF use is erratic because my truck is my daily driver. I'm not towing all the time.
Tying to calculate/predict my DEF use based on my driving habits is futile.
Just need a gauge!

Wanting a gauge for DEF is not unreasonable.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/20 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

The Ram def usage rate is not linear and will go down at a faster rate once the fluid gets down to a certain level. Not sure if Ford or GM does the same.

Usage is linear, however the gauge is not! Those are separate issues. Like Russ said, it is nice that RAM gave "us" a gauge. I like having it, as it makes it easy to know when to look for a WM and put in a box of Peak Blue DEF. All has been Peak Blue DEF except of the last one which for WM Supertech Jug, and I am going to run it lower before adding another box. All has been from WM except one in Wells, Nv from Love's.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

tkcrawford

Edmonton, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/20 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just for giggles, I just now looked up the price of Peak Blue DEF on the Canadian Wal-Mart (walmart.ca) page. You're not gonna believe this...

For one gallon of Peak Blue DEF at Wal-Mart the price is $78.97 with a shipping fee of $169.05. Now don't you all feel better?!

2017 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW, CTD 385/900, Aisin. Crew Cab, 4x4
2019 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/20 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Blue DEF from Walmart as a matter of convenience.
In the past month or so it seems like all of a sudden Home Depot and Lowes around me are on a massive Blue DEF push.

You used to see maybe 5 or 6 boxes in an out of the way location.
Now, pallets of the stuff right in your face as soon as you walk in the door in the contractor end of the stores. Prices are within cents of each other $12.25 - $12.50.

jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/20 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

two ways
1) my truck gives an initial warning at 30% which even worst case is at least 1,000 miles. Then it continues to count down and give warnings. If I'm dumb enough to ignore the gauge for 1,000 miles I get what I deserve.
2) DEF usage is about 1 gallon of DEF for 100 gallons of diesel. pretty easy to keep track of in my head.
3) If I'm traveling, before I leave I can have a pretty good idea based on last fill how many miles I can go before the 30% warning comes on. If I think I will be close, easy enough to put a 2.5gallon jug in the bed.

You need to keep that LML. #1 I've never seen a warning of more than 300 miles. And the mileage given isn't right, it's short 20-25%. And #2 the L5P sucks DEF. The one time I kept track of the fuel for a whole tank of DEF worked out to about 1 gal DEF to 45 gal diesel. That's twice the rate of the LML.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/20 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocamprs wrote:

ktmrfs wrote:

two ways
1) my truck gives an initial warning at 30% which even worst case is at least 1,000 miles. Then it continues to count down and give warnings. If I'm dumb enough to ignore the gauge for 1,000 miles I get what I deserve.
2) DEF usage is about 1 gallon of DEF for 100 gallons of diesel. pretty easy to keep track of in my head.
3) If I'm traveling, before I leave I can have a pretty good idea based on last fill how many miles I can go before the 30% warning comes on. If I think I will be close, easy enough to put a 2.5gallon jug in the bed.

You need to keep that LML. #1 I've never seen a warning of more than 300 miles. And the mileage given isn't right, it's short 20-25%. And #2 the L5P sucks DEF. The one time I kept track of the fuel for a whole tank of DEF worked out to about 1 gal DEF to 45 gal diesel. That's twice the rate of the LML.

Exactly my L5P give some inaccurate warning mileage and threatens to go into limp mode! Good Grief! Sort of unbelievable that GM thought this was OK[emoticon]

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> DEF Math
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.