Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: DEF Math
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> DEF Math

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

They have it at Costco? Thanks for the heads up on that!

Lantley how do you know if you're out of DEF without a gauge?

You guess! Actually there is an idiot light that comes on and says" Low on DEF 100 miles to go until forced limp mode"
Except the mileage given is not accurate. It may come on 2 minutes later and say 50 miles to limp mode.
I learned to carry a box of DEF in the RV because I never know when I may run out!
I had to get off 95 in the very congested Fredricksville, VA area once to chase down a jug of DEF for fear I would go into limp mode. I'm still pissed about it.
A 2019 with no gauge is ridiculous. For that matter any year with no DEF gauge is a crime!

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

two ways
1) my truck gives an initial warning at 30% which even worst case is at least 1,000 miles. Then it continues to count down and give warnings. If I'm dumb enough to ignore the gauge for 1,000 miles I get what I deserve.
2) DEF usage is about 1 gallon of DEF for 100 gallons of diesel. pretty easy to keep track of in my head.
3) If I'm traveling, before I leave I can have a pretty good idea based on last fill how many miles I can go before the 30% warning comes on. If I think I will be close, easy enough to put a 2.5gallon jug in the bed.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it's beyond dumb to not have a DEF gauge, or at least a way to check the level in the EVIC. Anytime I'm leaving for a longer trip I like to have my DEF tank topped off so I don't have to screw around with it until I get back home. A warning at 30% at the beginning of a trip is something I would have to deal with while on said trip.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

j3ff9ack

Idaho/Montana

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the DEF gauge on the RAM HD trucks (4th Gen) is similar to the waste tank indicators on RVs - there are sensors at preset levels and the level is approximate. Hopefully they are more reliable than the RV waste tank sensors though.

2007 Jayco JayFlight 27.5 RKS
2014 RAM 3500 SRW CC CTD 68RFE

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

BurbMan wrote:

You guess! Actually there is an idiot light that comes on and says" Low on DEF 100 miles to go until forced limp mode"
Except the mileage given is not accurate. It may come on 2 minutes later and say 50 miles to limp mode.
I learned to carry a box of DEF in the RV because I never know when I may run out!
I had to get off 95 in the very congested Fredricksville, VA area once to chase down a jug of DEF for fear I would go into limp mode. I'm still pissed about it.
A 2019 with no gauge is ridiculous. For that matter any year with no DEF gauge is a crime!

There is a DEF gauge on your 19 if you are not aware. It is on your DIC, just scroll through and check it and it will show up. It is like a RV gauge in the sense that it shows percentages below 30%. The 20's have a legit gauge that reads like a fuel gauge, much better than previous for sure.

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a DEF gauge on my 2017 Ford but the 2016 only told me it was OK or less than 1/2 of a tank. At less than 1/2 I could add a 2.5 gallon jug. I ran it out of DEF once just to see what would happen. It was extremely annoying because the warnings kept popping up on the dash. Eventually it got to the point that it limited my speed to 50 mph. I kept driving till the final warning indicated the vehicle was out of DEF and that upon shut off the engine would not restart. I had to add 2 jugs before the codes reset and the engine would start. Now that I know running out won't leave me stuck on the side of the road I very very seldom bother to even look at the gauge..... it seems like a tank of DEF lasts a very long time.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Understanding DEF date code. Not obvious.

DEF date cide

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksss wrote:

Lantley wrote:

BurbMan wrote:

There is a DEF gauge on your 19 if you are not aware. It is on your DIC, just scroll through and check it and it will show up. It is like a RV gauge in the sense that it shows percentages below 30%. The 20's have a legit gauge that reads like a fuel gauge, much better than previous for sure.

I don't want warnings and lights. I want a gauge.
As far as scrolling down. I can scroll down and see.
DEF level OK! message.no percentages That's a far cry from a gauge.
Now if something can be reprogrammed I'm interested.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

15 RAM with gauge at 1/2 a 2.5 fits easily.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The composition of DEF is spelled out in federal regulations. There is no allowance for any “secret sauce” and the allowed two components are among the cheapest compounds known to mankind. The only difference between brands is profit margin, packaging, and age/storage conditions (which are more a function of where you buy it). The $2 a gallon stuff at truck stops is your best bet on all counts and is plenty profitable for all involved.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> DEF Math
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.