Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Battery failure puzzle: voltage good, little power
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery failure puzzle: voltage good, little power

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A load tester is a good tool. A better that you can use all of the time is a battery monitor, like a Victron Victron BMV-700.

Second, depending on how many cycles those batteries have been through, it just may be their "time".

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

Mystery solved!

And the bottom line here is that although these same types of batteries have usually lasted me five years (three sets in fifteen years), I will probably schedule replacement for every four years.

You have a rather un-orthodox procedure of swapping out a weak battery in the middle of a camping trip, something very few people would do.

I would recommend a pair of 6V golf cart batteries. 200+ Ah. If you buy them at Sam's Club or Costco, I am sure they will cost less than those NAPA Group 31 batteries.

If you camp with a generator, you should not have to carry a spare set, especially if you install a battery monitor.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/20 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

You have a rather un-orthodox procedure of swapping out a weak battery in the middle of a camping trip, something very few people would do.

I would recommend a pair of 6V golf cart batteries. 200+ Ah. If you buy them at Sam's Club or Costco, I am sure they will cost less than those NAPA Group 31 batteries.
Always plenty of talk about a single 6v battery failure and you are sunk. So they want two 12v batteries. However a bad battery can drag both down so I see this as perfectly logical and should be common if the single bad battery is a concern. If I did this I think I would have a switch to select battery 1, battery 2, or both.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's very easy to swap out the batteries. I hit the battery disconnect button. I open the box containing the exhausted batteries and remove the wing nuts holding the wires to the posts.

I lift out the dead or tired battery and stick in the other one. Spin the wing nuts, pull the battery disconnect button, and it's done. Takes me about 90 seconds. I could have a switch do the job -- that would be more elegant than my current setup, which is pretty primitive.

The other advantage of having a spare battery is that when we park the trailer in the shade (which is often), I can take the depleted spare into a nearby patch of sunshine with my portable solar panel. We often do exactly that.

And this little snafu with my batteries reinforces my desire to have "one and a spare." If the two batteries were always together, and one dies catastrophically, the remaining good battery would be quickly drained.

I'm a very risk-averse person. Belt and suspenders. [emoticon]

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/20 11:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exactly why I have a digital readout voltmeter mounted in the television panel, staring me in the face anytime I watching tv. This way I know what the voltage is under the load of the tv/inverter lights, water pump. That's when you learn that 11.9 volts will still go a long while.

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

May I suggest springing for one of These instead of two of the batteries you have been buying? It will have almost the same usable capacity as the pair and not need replacing for more like ten years, making it actually cheaper than the lead acid batteries.

ifd22

Northern Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check your ground wire between the batteries and the frame

2019 Primetime lite Crusader
2018 Ram 2500 Crewcab CTD
Andersen hitch

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

It's very easy to swap out the batteries. I hit the battery disconnect button. I open the box containing the exhausted batteries and remove the wing nuts holding the wires to the posts.
Used to do that myself. No problem.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naturist's point about lithium is well-taken. The only problem is that we frequently camp in sub-freezing weather, and lithium batteries can't be charged below 32 degrees.

I assume that rule applies to solar charging, and not just to generator charging?

And I know that it seems a little extreme to camp in sub-freezing weather. But we really like snowshoeing in the Sierra. And it usually does not get much below 20 degrees at night. (If the forecast is for really cold weather, we try to avoid that.)

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you don't have the physical room for both batteries, why not install a simple battery switch with A, B, A+B, Off positions and then just "twist the switch"?
Murphy (at least the one that lives with me) would say I would be switching batteries at 2am ... always!

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery failure puzzle: voltage good, little power
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.