Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Battery failure puzzle: voltage good, little power
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery failure puzzle: voltage good, little power

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only thing I would add to this thread is the difference between voltage and amperage. Just because you have adequate voltage doesn't mean you have the right amount of amps getting trough. You refer not working leads me to believe that may be an issue. Usually caused by corrosion somewhere in the system usually at the battery posts or broken wire strands due to chafing, or loose or corroded wire butt splices. But since you change batteries frequently I would suspect a bad ground somewhere or one off the other conditions I mentioned. If your batteries pass a load test I would try to equalize them first and check and clean all connections. If the batteries are bad I would defiantly go with 2 6 v GC batteries, they will last much longer than your 12 v batteries. I like your idea of two battery banks and was considering adding a separate bank of 2 more 6v GC batteries but after many years of dry camping have never needed the extra power.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Taking one battery away to recharge it in the sun while the other still runs the rig in the shade is an advantage for sure.

A variation of that is if you have a gen in the truck or you have alternator charging in the back you can recharge the one battery some while driving around doing tourist things or whatever away from the rig.

For long term off-grid and it is time to run a full recharge and then an equalize on solar, a split bank like that lets you do that too. You can't get that done while there is a draw on the bank as there would be with both batts working.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:
. If the batteries are bad I would defiantly go with 2 6 v GC batteries, they will last much longer than your 12 v batteries.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Not true !! An amp hr is an amp hr no matter if its in a 6v or 12v.
2 12v w/ a total capacity of 220 amp hrs will last just as long as 2 6v w/ the same total capacity.

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 02:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RJ
For load use you are correct
But not useful life/age
For aging gracefully with a longer lifetime, the thicker plates in the 6v batteries will last longer in terms of years of use

But as pointed out many times, 12v batteries will out preform 6v when powering heavy loads like a MW via inverter

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery failure puzzle: voltage good, little power
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.